Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Four year old waking up in middle of the night

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:09 pm
For the last couple of months my four year old DC has been waking up every night at least once, sometime twice. And I mean every night. She wakes up, comes to our bedroom, I pick her up and carry her back to bed and she goes right to sleep. She doesn't need anything, doesn't even cry.
Its very annoying and frustrating. It interrupts my sleep and really messes me up because it takes me a whole to fall back asleep when she's back in bed.

(Also, she's very limited verbally so it's hard to know what's going on, but based on the reaction and actions, I don't think its bad dream or something like that.)

What could it be and how can I get it to stop?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:23 pm
Try putting her to bed a little later. Night gaps usually happen because the night is too long.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:21 pm
How much later can I do? She's up at 6:15 and goes to bed after 7 and doesn't fall asleep right away. And it's not really a gap, she's up for maybe 2.5 minutes.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:42 pm
Have the same thing. I just let her sleep on my floor with a pillow and blanket at this point. I am done getting up and putting her back. This too shall pass

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 5:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much later can I do? She's up at 6:15 and goes to bed after 7 and doesn't fall asleep right away. And it's not really a gap, she's up for maybe 2.5 minutes.

She could be up for a little while before she comes to you. If she's not falling asleep within 15 minutes of bedtime, that's also a sign you might be putting her in too early. Plenty of kids only need 10-11 hours of sleep at that age. Try 7:45 bedtime for a week and see if it helps.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 5:54 pm
Same. My 5 year old comes into my bed every single night. I don’t even wake up to it anymore

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:25 pm
Check for pinworms . Especially if she doesn’t express herself well.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Have the same thing. I just let her sleep on my floor with a pillow and blanket at this point. I am done getting up and putting her back. This too shall pass

Does it?
My 5, 7 and 9 year old wake up almost every night...

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Does it?
My 5, 7 and 9 year old wake up almost every night...

Rest of my kids sleep thru eventually. I’m sorry that you have that!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Check for pinworms . Especially if she doesn’t express herself well.

How do I check for that?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

I did that for a little bit- when she woke up, I just let her sleep in my room but my husband didn't like that so I stopped and it didn't help so much because it still woke me up.

I wish I knew what was causing it so I can fix it from the root.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics