Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your number one tip for managing in a small kitchen?
Previous  1  2

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:03 pm
We have a small pantry/ laundry/storage room off our kitchen. We bought metal shelving from Walmart and that’s where we keep our microwave, toaster, sandwich maker, and other bulky appliances. To clarify, the toaster and microwave is plugged in and used in the closet, we don’t take it out.

I also think it’s work looking into organizing cubes and trays. It will probably make a difference in terms of space and waste.

spikta

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:21 pm
Take a look at all the things that take up space in your kitchen and see if you really need them taking up space *in the kitchen*. Do you have wineglasses that you don't actually use? Non stackable serving dishes? Too many pots? Too much bakeware? If you don't use something at least once a month it doesn't need to live in your kitchen. You can put it in a closet somewhere, and take it out however many times a year that you actually use it.
Try and think if there are small changes you can make that will make storage more efficient. If you have a disorganized area for tupperware and plastic containers, dump everything, and buy multiples of one or two stackable plastic containers. Voila, you gained a whole shelf.
Do you have a jumble of sippy cups? Buy the take n' toss ones that stack.
The key, as many posters said, is having less stuff, but there are many things you can cut back on, not just appliances.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:22 pm
Lazy Susan’s! Makes every shelf look so neat

Lydia

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:43 pm
My main problem in my tiny kitchen was on erev Shabbos when a lot of foods were being prepared and finished at once. There wasn't counter space for everything. We installed some shelves into the wall above the oven--floating shelves from Ikea. It made all the difference in my erev Shabbos. We don't put anything there for storage. It's just for food, and that's what makes it so convenient: I'm never struggling to move things to set down a hot dish.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For keeping everything you need neat, managing all the small appliances (microwaves, toasters, kettle, sandwich maker, coffee maker), special dietary needs etc.

Cut out small appliances. That's my best tip. Learn how to utilize the oven to high capacity.
Only have items in kitchen that are worth their real estate, and used regularly. Buy only stackable uniform set items, even if it costs to replace what you have, you end up with more room which is highly worth the expense. Rent in the kitchen is too expensive to waste it on a $25 item that isn't worth the real estate.
Install extra appliance like toaster oven under the upper cabinet instead of wasting counter space or cabinet space..
Use over the inner cabinet door storage solutions for organization and maximizing space.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:03 am
Put up a gate to keep the kids out! Very Happy

Google pictures of Japanese kitchens. They are teeny tiny, almost microscopic. The Japanese are experts at living in small spaces, while keeping things looking tidy and welcoming.

A tip that is universally true, is to "build up". Look up towards the ceiling, and see how much extra storage space you have there. Install ceiling hung cabinets, or at least shelving that goes around the kitchen. Store things that are extras, off season, etc.

You can build up in any room, but if you have a tiny kitchen, that's definitely the first place to start. Check out building material recycling places. When someone upgrades their kitchen, or changes their mind after the order has been placed, a lot of cabinets and shelves go to be resold. You'll pay a fraction of the original price. You may have to keep checking back every week, but especially in the summer when everyone is remodeling, you are bound to come across something that will work.

honey36

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:35 am
I have very little counter space in my kitchen. First thing I did when we moved into the house was put up a shelf for toaster oven and kettle. We had to get an electrician to put an extra outlet up there too, but so worth it! Kids have to use a chair to reach it also, but still better than taking up the whole counter!

Next thing is, I luckily have a big dining room table, so when I'm cooking a lot, all the ready food (challahs, big sheet pans, soup pots) goes there to cool on a bunch of small metal trivivt or cooling racks.

On shabbos we keep the crock pot in a room in the basement so it's not taking up counter space.

tp3

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:46 am
I have exactly the amount of pots pans bowls dishes etc that I need. No extras. Also I try to wash a pot as soon as it's used, food can go in a disposable aluminum pan, to reuse that pot before taking another out of the cabinet.
And no dish rack. I use drying mats instead which can be folded away when I need more counter space.
No mugs, they take up too much space.
Any small appliances are away, off my counter. No microwave.
Also they have these storage things that have a giant magnet on them and can hang on the side of your refrigerator.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 12:06 pm
Shelves, on all wall space. Risers in the cabinets. And our microwave is not in our kitchen. Its on a kitchen cart in the room one over, and other small appliances can be on the shelf or in the cabinet below. We use that cabinet to store disposables, because my life wouldn't work well without them (I cannot stay on top of dishes the way I need to.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen