Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Ready for beta readers!!! (See OP)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Saralle

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 10:19 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Awesome! So I've got that covered, minus minor inappropriate language (rump, hell, OMG).

I'll be seeking out beta readers when I have a solid draft ready. That should help me troubleshoot any problem areas.

Me! Me! Me!

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 10:38 am
This thread has been an amazing help! Thank you so much!

I think my plan is going to be this:

1. Finish the manuscript for the first book. My current plan is to make it a trilogy, but each book tells a different story within the story. There are lots of layers, but I think the best way is to do it in three companion books. Based on how I'm planning it, there would be a clear intended order, but each book could theoretically stand alone. Think "Whatever Happened to Janie" and "The Face on the Milk Carton." Same timeline, same characters, but wildly different perspectives. Book one is what I'm working on now. Book two makes a different character the MC and follows her instead. Book three alternates between the POVs of the remaining characters.

2. Get beta readers who will give honest feedback on what works and doesn't, and answer a few specific questions. Experienced authors: what's your beta process? I've only done this a couple of times before and I could use some advice to get the most out of it.

3. Decide how to publish. I'm liking the idea of self-publishing this as a trilogy. I'd release them one at a time. The book has some strong Jewish content, but the themes are universal. I used the Jewish stuff for setting and symbolism, but it's not the main point of the story by any means. I structured it this way mainly because I originally intended the book for the frum market, but the book could have potential with a wider audience. If I pitch to the secular market, I'd remove the Jewish content out of fears of things getting twisted or somehow reflecting badly on Jews. True, it's all just fiction and shouldn't reflect badly on us regardless. But that never stopped negativity before, and we don't need that. :-/

wordsmith

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:40 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:

I'm liking the idea of self-publishing this as a trilogy. I'd release them one at a time. /

A couple of things to keep in mind if you go the self-publishing route.

1. If you are doing it as a trilogy of connected stories, you are actually better off having all the books released around the same time. Readers who are buying digital books want them instantly, and they expect that if they are reading a series and there are other books they can get them as soon as they are done. This is particularly true of new authors or new to them authors. You don't want them forgetting you and your book and moving on without purchasing the sequels.

2. Don't skimp on the cover, formatting or editing. Even if you choose to go the self-publishing route, you need to be professional and the cover and editing reflect that.

3. Expect to lay out a lot of money with no guarantee of return. (See item 2, these are not cheap, but necessary.)

4. Promotion - you will need to do a lot of PR and handselling. Make sure you have a platform and a way to reach readers.

5. Time - To do it right, self-publishing is a very time-consuming endeavor. (See all of the above.)

I'm not saying not to do it, it's just important to be aware of the commitment. Too many people say - just self-publish without understanding all that it entails.

Good luck! I'm intrigued by your story concept.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:00 pm
wordsmith wrote:
A couple of things to keep in mind if you go the self-publishing route.

1. If you are doing it as a trilogy of connected stories, you are actually better off having all the books released around the same time. Readers who are buying digital books want them instantly, and they expect that if they are reading a series and there are other books they can get them as soon as they are done. This is particularly true of new authors or new to them authors. You don't want them forgetting you and your book and moving on without purchasing the sequels.

2. Don't skimp on the cover, formatting or editing. Even if you choose to go the self-publishing route, you need to be professional and the cover and editing reflect that.

3. Expect to lay out a lot of money with no guarantee of return. (See item 2, these are not cheap, but necessary.)

4. Promotion - you will need to do a lot of PR and handselling. Make sure you have a platform and a way to reach readers.

5. Time - To do it right, self-publishing is a very time-consuming endeavor. (See all of the above.)

I'm not saying not to do it, it's just important to be aware of the commitment. Too many people say - just self-publish without understanding all that it entails.

Good luck! I'm intrigued by your story concept.

Thanks! I’m well versed in all these points, and you’re completely right. The cost is the main reason I wouldn’t be able to release all at once without having to wait years until I can hire the right services. I would NEVER skimp on cover design and editing. Internal layout and typesetting and all the rest needs to be done well too.

PR is where I get stuck. I have things I want to promote already, specifically my most recent book, but I’m not sure how to go about it. I started a podcast which has been going we so far, but it’s completely for my Jewish stuff, not novels or anything else. It’s also more of a lishma thing. I don’t ever expect to turn it into profit (other than book sales, but that’s more peripheral to my plans). My desire to promote With All I Am is because I believe it’s a needed book. I feel funny self promoting other stuff. I started a parenting humor YouTube channel a while ago, which is fun, but I took a break from making videos after just doing three. It’s a lot of work and I have a lot of other things I want to spend time on too.

Sometimes I feel like I need to hire somebody to take charge of my schedule and make me more efficient. I’ve actually really considered that a few times. But when you hire somebody, you need to tell THEM what to do. And that’s where I’m stuck.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:27 pm
cbsp wrote:
He wasn't intending to self publish. And he's trying to broaden his target market while not excluding the frum consumer... His posts on the process sound very similar to OP's...

Here’s yonah klein’s site https://jewishselfpublishing.com/

Mark Dawson’s site https://markjdawson.com/

It’s just not the same

You’re either targeting the Jewish niche or a specific genre, there’s no practical way to do both

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:29 pm
@kiwi13 if you want to hear feedback from best selling self published authors, try posting on https://writersanctum.com/

Hopefully it’s still active. I haven’t been on there in a while

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:37 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Here’s yonah klein’s site https://jewishselfpublishing.com/

Is Yonah Klein really Eliyahu Miller (or vice versa)? Because I don't see his name on the site, only Eliyahu Miller

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 2:49 pm
cbsp wrote:
Is Yonah Klein really Eliyahu Miller (or vice versa)? Because I don't see his name on the site, only Eliyahu Miller
eliyahu Miller is his pen name

ETA I’m wrong, looks like it’s two separate people. Oops. I take it back. I don’t know who eliyahu Miller is.

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:12 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
eliyahu Miller is his pen name

ETA I’m wrong, looks like it’s two separate people. Oops. I take it back. I don’t know who eliyahu Miller is.

That makes so much more sense! LOL

OP, seriously, there are so many frum writers in your position and I think there is a real audience that would read quality writing that doesn't cross too many boundaries but still explores "out of the frum box" situations.

my mama

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:44 pm
singleagain wrote:
Me too

Me three.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:48 pm
Alright. So plan A is try to gain the interest of a frum publisher.

Plan B is either self publish or find an agent for the mainstream secular market. I guess I’ll cross that bridge if/when I get there. This book will be so much stronger if I can keep the Jewish content AND the out of the box elements. It’s nothing crazy, so I’ll keep hoping for a favorable response.

Thank you to all potential beta readers. I’ll keep you posted!

shanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 7:16 pm
I would love to be a beta reader too!

And I second what orchid said about Sun Inside Rain.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 6:36 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

Plan B is either self publish or find an agent for the mainstream secular market. I guess I’ll cross that bridge if/when I get there. This book will be so much stronger if I can keep the Jewish content AND the out of the box elements. It’s nothing crazy, so I’ll keep hoping for a favorable response.

Did I already say me too?

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 6:43 am
I’m really really honored and excited by all the interest!!! Thank you!!!!

4pom

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 6:49 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

So exciting! Im lookimg forward. Loads of Hatzlacha. And I’m in line as a me too for a beta reader!

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 8:01 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I’m really really honored and excited by all the interest!!! Thank you!!!!

Pretty please consider me as a beta reader as well.

I've done it in the past. I'm not necessarily your go - to for grammar and punctuation but I'm good at picking up typos, inconsistencies, and just general logistics.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 8:42 am
To clarify what I'll need from my future beta readers, it's not really about typos and grammar. If you happen to find something like that, great. But what I'm really looking for is:

- How does the story flow overall? Were the plot twists too predictable/too farfetched?
- Any PLOT HOLES or factual inaccuracies? (This is reeeeaaallly important to me!!) I'll specifically be looking for a couple of beta readers knowledgable in particular fields to help troubleshoot some info I researched the best I could but I'm not an expert and I know it! Specifically: Building codes and other info with regard to asbestos, loading docks, how things changed since the mid-1900s, off-the-grid living, Criminal law (Colorado knowledge a major plus), and a couple other things, but those are the big ones. Book takes place in 2016. (I'm not touching anything to do with COVID with a 10-foot pole!) You don't HAVE to be knowledgable in this stuff to beta read, but I'll need to ALSO get those perspectives for fact checking. I also want beta readers who read a lot of books with plot twists to make sure I don't fall into any cliche traps.
- Are the characters believable and relatable? Do the character arcs feel genuine? If something seems off, be specific.
- Which characters' POVs are you most interested in for books 2 and 3? (I've got my plans, but if the majority opinion is something different, I'll definitely reconsider!)

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 8:51 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
To clarify what I'll need from my future beta readers, it's not really about typos and grammar. If you happen to find something like that, great. But what I'm really looking for is:

- How does the story flow overall? Were the plot twists too predictable/too farfetched?
- Any PLOT HOLES or factual inaccuracies? (This is reeeeaaallly important to me!!) I'll specifically be looking for a couple of beta readers knowledgable in particular fields to help troubleshoot some info I researched the best I could but I'm not an expert and I know it! Specifically: Building codes and other info with regard to asbestos, loading docks, how things changed since the mid-1900s, off-the-grid living, Criminal law (Colorado knowledge a major plus), and a couple other things, but those are the big ones. Book takes place in 2016. (I'm not touching anything to do with COVID with a 10-foot pole!) You don't HAVE to be knowledgable in this stuff to beta read, but I'll need to ALSO get those perspectives for fact checking. I also want beta readers who read a lot of books with plot twists to make sure I don't fall into any cliche traps.
- Are the characters believable and relatable? Do the character arcs feel genuine? If something seems off, be specific.
- Which characters' POVs are you most interested in for books 2 and 3? (I've got my plans, but if the majority opinion is something different, I'll definitely reconsider!)

There are Reddit threads that are like you know what thing takes you out of a TV show or movie right away You know things like how they never say bye when hanging up the phone and now that I see it it bothers me so I can definitely beta read that

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 1:40 pm
singleagain wrote:
There are Reddit threads that are like you know what thing takes you out of a TV show or movie right away You know things like how they never say bye when hanging up the phone and now that I see it it bothers me so I can definitely beta read that

That kind of thing would be very helpful, yes! :-)

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 1:43 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
That kind of thing would be very helpful, yes! :-)

Yes. I'm up for that.

Also, you should have ppl who are not so familiar with Judaism to read it so that way they can tell you if something that you're taking for granted and not explaining needs to be explained

My best friend is willing
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club