Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Greys Anatomy & Station 19
Previous  1  2  3  4

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:57 am
Was it this controversial when there was a mass shooter in the hospital? That's current events/politics.

Was it this controversial when Callie became a lesbian and married Arizona? That's current events/politics.

Was it this controversial when health insurance forced Teddy to marry her patient? That's current events/politics.

Was it this controversial when April and Jackson were sleeping together and she got pregnant? Then needed a termination? That's current events/politics

They have been covering current events/politics since the very beginning, and nobody was really annoyed about it till they covered Covid (oh, the horror of covering a 100-year pandemic) and George Floyd, who was murdered btw. They have always been controversial.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
just to clarify, I think its superbly well-done to bring attention to this critical issue, but its just too much for one episode. it should be part of the story-line, not the story-line.

If you saw the end credits, the writer donated all proceeds to an educational foundation. There were a number of people who were credited and thanked for offering their insight.

Television shows have occasionally done special episodes on issues of significance to society. They are often called "special episodes" because only one issue is dealt with and it is the basis of all the storylines for that episode.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
What isn't universal - the ability to view things from other's perspectives?

Its absurd to conclude that all BIPOC people experience life in America the same way.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:03 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Its absurd to conclude that all BIPOC people experience life in America the same way.

Of course not everybody experiences life in the same way Even all of us here on this website don't But that doesn't mean that they're experiences are invalid and we're just bringing light to a number of people who haven't had a voice before

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:09 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Was it this controversial when there was a mass shooter in the hospital? That's current events/politics.

Was it this controversial when Callie became a lesbian and married Arizona? That's current events/politics.

Was it this controversial when health insurance forced Teddy to marry her patient? That's current events/politics.

Was it this controversial when April and Jackson were sleeping together and she got pregnant? Then needed a termination? That's current events/politics

They have been covering current events/politics since the very beginning, and nobody was really annoyed about it till they covered Covid (oh, the horror of covering a 100-year pandemic) and George Floyd, who was murdered btw. They have always been controversial.

These were all single episodes scattered among different seasons. This year EVERY last few episodes is pushing the same storyline. There's quite a difference between highlighting an issue and literally pushing it down your throat at every turn.

I take no issue with them highlighting issues, whether I agree with the issue or not. But they're taking it too far. These shows have become so boring. Interesting plot lines have been replaced with boring and easily predictable storylines. They've lost their entertainment factor in their zeal to hijack their platform for an agenda.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:10 am
singleagain wrote:
Of course not everybody experiences life in the same way Even all of us here on this website don't But that doesn't mean that they're experiences are invalid and we're just bringing light to a number of people who haven't had a voice before

Who hasn't has a voice before?

In any case my response was to this comment "learning how it feels to be a person of color in America".

I said nothing about 'invaild experiences' - but its fully 'invalid' to watch a drama and conclude you've learned how all people of color feel.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:15 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
These were all single episodes scattered among different seasons. This year EVERY last few episodes is pushing the same storyline. There's quite a difference between highlighting an issue and literally pushing it down your throat at every turn.

I take no issue with them highlighting issues, whether I agree with the issue or not. But they're taking it too far. These shows have become so boring. Interesting plot lines have been replaced with boring and easily predictable storylines. They've lost their entertainment factor in their zeal to hijack their platform for an agenda.

Callie and Arizona were MARRIED for YEARS. That was in EVERY episode for many years. Were you complaining about that?

The fallout of the mass shooting was half of the entire season that year, were you complaining about that?

I think you are picking and choosing what you care to repeatedly watch, and that's fine but you're being very disengeous. You are allowed not to want to watch anything you don't want to watch, but please stop reframing the truth. This has ALWAYS been a cutting edge, political show. It has always been controversial.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:16 am

In any case my response was to this comment "learning how it feels to be a person of color in America".

I said nothing about 'invaild experiences' - but its fully 'invalid' to watch a drama and conclude you've learned how all people of color feel.

You are really splitting hairs.

There were a number of people with different reactions. I would say it is fair to state that the reactions - which were fairly nuanced - represented a good representation of how POC feel.

I do know that my male friends who are black are ALL afraid that they will have an unfortunate encounter with police - as an example. This is universal and these are all professional men who are being profiled solely on the basis of their skin color. Their parents all have to have the "talk" with their sons when they reach a certain age - again these are middle and upper middle class people.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:20 am

There were a number of people with different reactions. I would say it is fair to state that the reactions - which were fairly nuanced - represented a good representation of how POC feel.

I do know that my male friends who are black are ALL afraid that they will have an unfortunate encounter with police - as an example. This is universal and these are all professional men who are being profiled solely on the basis of their skin color. Their parents all have to have the "talk" with their sons when they reach a certain age - again these are middle and upper middle class people.

I actually do not know ONE black male who has not been pulled over by the police for doing anything other than driving. While Black. And more than once. One, a doctor, sold his BMW because he kept getting stopped and bought a Honda, he's been stopped less often. Most of this in Bergen County or Los Angeles.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:21 am

Before the advent of Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and all the other social medias you didn't hear about the plight of the everyday black man you only heard about the successful black men and extrapolated from that that anyone else was just living victim mentality Now you can see that it's not true because it happens every day to a lot of people It that can't be that everyone can't be a victim

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:24 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Callie and Arizona were MARRIED for YEARS. That was in EVERY episode for many years. Were you complaining about that?

The fallout of the mass shooting was half of the entire season that year, were you complaining about that?

I think you are picking and choosing what you care to repeatedly watch, and that's fine but you're being very disengeous. You are allowed not to want to watch anything you don't want to watch, but please stop reframing the truth. This has ALWAYS been a cutting edge, political show. It has always been controversial.

Their marriage was a small sideline to the main plot. Other than a passing mention here and there, gay marriage wasn't much discussed otherwise. What we all saw in a episode that there was a gay married couple, without all the talking points about it (with the exception of a episode here and there). In this years season, every episode is centered around the BLM. The patient is selected based on BLM, the dialogue is focused on BLM, the (poorly designed) plots is centered around how to bring out a talking point of the BLM. Almost all interactions between the casts ends with something about the BLM.

I'm not picking and choosing at all. I can normally put aside any agenda, and focus on the entertainment aspect. But now there is literally no entertainment aspect. After the introductory portion where they introduce the patient and plotline, I can spell out exactly what will happen down to the last minute of it.

I'm not being disingenuous at all. I think in this case, you're the one that is so. This year's season is in no comparison to how they've dealt with previous agendas. There normal MO was to see how they can intertwine an agenda into a plot line. Now the plot line is the agenda, and they're intertwining the actors into that. It's a big change from the past. Pretending it's otherwise is the disingenuous part.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:28 am
singleagain wrote:
Before the advent of Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and all the other social medias you didn't hear about the plight of the everyday black man you only heard about the successful black men and extrapolated from that that anyone else was just living victim mentality Now you can see that it's not true because it happens every day to a lot of people It that can't be that everyone can't be a victim

And the rise of smart phones with video taping capability has made it possible for people to actually witness episodes for themselves.

There would have been no conviction of Chauvin without the iPhone footage showing nine minutes when a man was murdered in cold blood.

There would not have been widespread public awareness of the dangers of "birding' when black if the woman in the Central Park incident had not been videotaped showing that the black birder represented no threat. Can you imagine what might have happened to the birder if her lies had been believed and they rushed in.

What about the white couple who admonished a man who had chalked BLM on his fence in San Francisco. He owned the house but was informed by the woman that he shouldn't deface someone else's property AND SHE KNEW THE OWNER. She called the police and they just waved at the man because - luckily - they actually knew him.

A military officer shoving a black man walking in his neighborhood and telling him to get out.

The list is really endless and ranges from the deadly like George Floyd to the bigoted but harmless like the San Francisco episode.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:31 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Their marriage was a small sideline to the main plot. Other than a passing mention here and there, gay marriage wasn't much discussed otherwise. What we all saw in a episode that there was a gay married couple, without all the talking points about it (with the exception of a episode here and there). In this years season, every episode is centered around the BLM. The patient is selected based on BLM, the dialogue is focused on BLM, the (poorly designed) plots is centered around how to bring out a talking point of the BLM. Almost all interactions between the casts ends with something about the BLM.

I'm not picking and choosing at all. I can normally put aside any agenda, and focus on the entertainment aspect. But now there is literally no entertainment aspect. After the introductory portion where they introduce the patient and plotline, I can spell out exactly what will happen down to the last minute of it.

I'm not being disingenuous at all. I think in this case, you're the one that is so. This year's season is in no comparison to how they've dealt with previous agendas. There normal MO was to see how they can intertwine an agenda into a plot line. Now the plot line is the agenda, and they're intertwining the actors into that. It's a big change from the past. Pretending it's otherwise is the disingenuous part.

Actually, pretending that Covid isn't serious, or that George Floyd wasn't murdered is what's disengenous.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:43 am

I'm not splitting hairs.

There are BIPOC people who disagree with this narrative.

Its unfortunate to watch a drama and conclude that this is 'how it is for everyone'.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:45 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Actually, pretending that Covid isn't serious, or that George Floyd wasn't murdered is what's disengenous.

Who's pretending that? What does that have to do with a show hijacking their entertainment purposes and turning into an agenda driven machine? I can agree with the above, and still want entertainment from entertainment shows.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 11:53 am
I'm not splitting hairs.

There are BIPOC people who disagree with this narrative.

Its unfortunate to watch a drama and conclude that this is 'how it is for everyone'.

No one should be living life in general meeting one person and assuming that this is 'How it is for everyone'

But they do that's why bias exists

You're not going to get people to not be biased just because they're not seeing the "agenda"

But people still need to see various stories in the media

This is one reason I get so frustrated with media sometimes because every Jew is either from a completely insular world or completely secularized There's no one between I want where is my modern orthodox Jew in the media but I'm not upset that they're that I don't see it that often because at least the Jews are out there

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 1:04 pm
I didn’t read the whole thread, but two things.

The fact that Dr Grey didn’t get fired and able to work again because people supported her even though she did something illegal.

And

My daughter and I used to love watching Law and Order SVU, but not anymore for the same reason.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 2:38 pm
I've been very put off by the messaging this season - but after so many years I'm sticking with it anyhow. With all the old characters they've brought back this year - I tend to think this will be the very last season.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 3:40 pm
I haven’t watched this season of greys yet but I do remember that they have always tied in current events to the show. There was one episode of a black boy shot while climbing into a rich house. The police thought he was a thief. It turned out to be his own house. I appreciated that episode because it enabled me to feel what black people go though. But it was just one episode.

When I catch up I guess I’ll see for myself if it’s overdone. If every episode has the same message I think I will get annoyed.

I stopped watching new amsterdam because the black doctor was openly racist and that was ok. We have been conditioned to avoid judging people by their skin color which is good, and so hearing someone openly judge another based on skin color alone feels very wrong and uncomfortable. But because it was a black person judging a white person it was somehow ok. I can’t handle it.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 4:50 pm
This has been a super boring season. I am only watching to make sure I don't miss anything major about the characters I like. I am enjoying seeing all the old, dead characters. But April is back next week! Did I miss any, or have there literally been no references at all to Harriet this year?

I think the show is being written because they are not sure if it is going to be the last season, so after so many years I feel silly not just watching the last few episodes. But I am not riveted to the tv so I definitely might have missed a Harriet reference.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics