Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Which is cheapest? How do they compare? Monsey & Baltimore
Previous  1  2

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 6:18 pm
Are there any apartments for rent in ranchleigh area? And is ranchleigh within walking distance to park heights?

Is Toras Simchah hard to get into, do I stand a chance to get my son in for this coming school year if I apply now?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 6:38 pm
I just logged in and so all this - thanks so much for all the info posted, it's so helpful. I really appreciate it. I'm going to go over it more slowly/in detail soon.

I just want to add something I forget -
Is it hard to get into the schools? If we make the decision where to move within the next month or two - say in June/July for the coming year, is that going to be a problem?

Also what is the cost of babysiting? And a 2.5 yr old for playgroup? (We will need both) Are there a lot of playgroups and babysitters? Do the slots get filled up fast or am I likely to find?

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 8:31 pm
Quote:
And is ranchleigh within walking distance to park heights?

About a 40 min walk

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 8:35 pm
Toras Simcha and bnos are small and have limited space. If they have space, they will probably take you. If they don't they won't.
Ta, ti and Bais Yaakov are bigger and more willing to take one extra kid

In terms of playgroup and baby sitting...all I can say is good luck. There is a major shortage. I'm constantly seeing on local forums people looking. If you wanted to open something, there's a strong possibility you'd be full in a few days.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 9:24 pm
If I apply now although I don’t live there yet, will I have a hard time getting my kids into schools?

We have to move but we won’t be able to before august

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 9:31 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
If I apply now although I don’t live there yet, will I have a hard time getting my kids into schools?

I think the best answer is to just call the schools you are interested in on Monday and ask. They either are or are not accepting new students. It should be a pretty simple phone call. And not living here yet should not be a factor. Don't be scared to call, seriously the people who work at all of the schools are very nice.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 9:47 pm
Ok thanks

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 9:59 pm
Just in case I don’t get my kids into schools, are there any playgroups for 5 year olds?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:49 am
I don't know if any playgroups for 5 year olds. I wouldn't be too worried about getting into a school. This isn't like lakewood where I hear how hard it is to get in to schools. You may not get into one of the smaller schools if they don't have room, but you will probably get into a bigger one. Call before you start worrying.

Also we applied before moving. We did need to come in once for an interview, but we were accepted before the actual move.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:17 am
Ok I hope everything will work out

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

In Baltimore everyone gets into school. This is one of the maalos of Baltimore. The Rabbonim would never allow that and expect the schools to do anything to guarantee that every frum child has a spot. The schools keep expanding and finding ways to add more classrooms, sometimes resorting to splitting classrooms in half or using trailers. The schools keep renovating and adding on. That doesn't mean your kid will get into the school of your choice. Sometimes there may be a compelling reason, usually either academic or social, not to accept a child and some schools like TI will ask if the family has a TV or internet and if they do they will want to hear the reason before making a decision. I've never heard of a child not being accepted to Bais Yaakov or TA since they are community schools.

Our kids were accepted into schools before we moved but we knew we were definitely moving as we both had already found jobs.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:51 am
Thanks Tan it makes me feel better

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 7:29 am
Btw do 3 year old boys go to school already or still have a morah/playgroup

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:53 am
Quote:
Btw do 3 year old boys go to school already or still have a morah/playgroup

Both.
I don't know if all the schools have a 3 year old program, but I know Bais Yaakov, Bnos, and TA all do. I do know that they have less classes and take less kids, so there's no promise they have room for that age.

There are also a bunch of playgroups. Those also may be full. But put yourself on wait lists. It's not unheard of people to pull out last minute for personal reasons.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating