Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Clifton vs. Passaic

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 24 2021, 11:55 pm
We're thinking about moving to the Passaic/Clifton community. What are factors that would make us choose a home in one or the other? For example property tax, board of ed services / bussing.
My sense is that Passaic is more black hat, has older families and the homes are older. Is that true?

Tia.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:53 am
Bumping since people who know the answer might have been asleep when I posted.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 9:35 am
I live in Passaic but not too far from Clifton.

Maybe that's why I haven't noticed so much of a difference of which type lives where? My block is a mix, the people walking by on Shabbos are a mix.

If I'm not mistaken, BOE services are dependent on the location of the school - so the Cheder is in Clifton while YBH and YKP are in Passaic.

We live in a pretty old house - most people purchasing on our block have chosen to extend before moving in. I don't know what the trend is in Clifton, but I've seen pretty old homes there as well.

There is limited busing - car pools are a way of life. Unless you end up at the Cheder, a bonus for living in Passaic would be the walkability to school depending on your area (and tolerance for hills LOL )

Politically, Passaic seems to have better representation from within the community. Clifton is a really large city and the area where the frum Jews live is relatively miniscule. But I don't think that stops anyone from deciding to live there...

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 9:39 am
Passaic is more established and has a larger Jewish Community but does have a really nice age range of families -as far as the parents and kids. Passaic also has families with older kids that are married (some with kids, some without). There isn’t bussing now.
We all (Clifton and Passaic) drive our children to school.
The houses are older but many people renovate/update but it’s up to you.

Clifton is booming and now has a certain area that are for us frum Jews. Clifton is a huge town but there’s one section everyone lives in, which is very nice. It has more of a suburban feel. The houses are from the 50’s here but a lot of people do renevate/ update.

People do that if they can- according to their own needs/wants. Not necessary. Both are wonderful towns.

Kids from both Passaic and Clifton go to the three Yeshivas in town. YBH (Yeshiva Beis Hillel) YK (Yeshiva Katana) and the Clifton Cheder/Bais Yaakov. I don’t have kids older than 13 so I can’t help with that age group.

Idk about taxes. I’m guessing they’re around the same bc it is North Jersey. If I have more to add I’ll add more later. I hope this helps for now.

Also, wonderful shuls are EVERYWHERE!!!! Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:15 am
Thank you to both of you. Your responses suggest that there's not that much of a difference.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:28 am
Clifton has lower property taxes but it’s not significant and not a major factor for most people.
Clifton has a reputation for being less Yeshivish than Passaic but you’ll find all types in both cities and it really varies by area and block more than by city. For example plenty of yeshivish people live in Clifton on ‘the other side of main’ while Patricia/Anabelle area has somewhat of a more modern crowd.
Right now housing is really difficult in Passaic so you’ll be best off with a local realtor that knows what kind of neighborhood you want and will help you find something regardless of which zip code.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:02 am
I’m shocked that there aren’t school busses! Is this a covid thing?

We were vaguely considering these communities but this would be a deal breaker. (Both work in Manhattan full time; I can’t do carpool!) do others moms not work (outside the home with hours incompatible to carpool?)

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

We were vaguely considering these communities but this would be a deal breaker. (Both work in Manhattan full time; I can’t do carpool!) do others moms not work (outside the home with hours incompatible to carpool?)

Not a covid thing. More like a small town thing.

There is a bus. I do not know how one is zoche to the service (I'm guessing they pay for it) but in case of need it does exist.

There are plenty of babysitters who wait in the carpool line and working parents do make arrangements. Plus I think some of the schools offer extended hours for later pickup...

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

No, it's a city thing- the way it's set up is that every child is within 10 minutes walking distance of a public school so there are no school busses

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
No, it's a city thing- the way it's set up is that every child is within 10 minutes walking distance of a public school so there are no school busses

I just got educated Very Happy

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:27 am
cbsp wrote:
I just got educated Very Happy

Right but then the Yeshiva’s have private busses.

Anyone know if Teaneck/Bergenfield has busses lol?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:46 am
I believe you can pay for a van/bus. I remember a friend got it for her kids. said it was totally worth it Smile
when I lived there a few years ago, the area in clifton by patricia place was definitely more "yu" as opposed to passaic which definitely skewed yesheivish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating