Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sending in DH after night weaning
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I abide by the thinking that babies this age shouldn't fill up on water. Breast milk has the liquid she needs. I don't want her to have less breast milk during the day because she filled up on water overnight.

Having a few sips of water won’t detract from her breast milk intake. There is no reason for your baby to be thirsty. My pediatrician always says make sure your baby has access to a sippy cup of water. ( less then 6 months you just give them the breast) A child should have an option to drink. If you are refusing water then you need to offer breast milk. Why should your baby be thirsty??

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:04 pm
I'm assuming she falls asleep independently at bedtime, with a minimum 15 min space between nursing and bed. If not, you have to deal with that first.
If she is going to sleep independently I would ignore for the first 5 hours of the night. She's not hungry or thirsty.
If you still have a couple of feedings to get rid of, say a 2 am and 5 am feed, I would nurse a minute or 2 less each night until you are down to a couple of minutes total. Once you know baby isn't relying on those calories just ignore. I never sent dh in and was only a few minutes of crying.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:11 pm
My baby was older when we night weaned, but we did send my husband when we did it. Baby was already sleep trained so falling asleep independently at the beginning of the night. My husband did whatever he felt he needed to to calm the baby, usually picking up and singing / rocking, but then put back in the crib once calm but still awake. The night wakings decreased over a few weeks maybe?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I'm assuming she falls asleep independently at bedtime, with a minimum 15 min space between nursing and bed. If not, you have to deal with that first.
If she is going to sleep independently I would ignore for the first 5 hours of the night. She's not hungry or thirsty.
If you still have a couple of feedings to get rid of, say a 2 am and 5 am feed, I would nurse a minute or 2 less each night until you are down to a couple of minutes total. Once you know baby isn't relying on those calories just ignore. I never sent dh in and was only a few minutes of crying.

At the end, your advocating for CIO, that’s essentially what “ignore” is.
CIO is neglectful parenting.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
At the end, your advocating for CIO, that’s essentially what “ignore” is.
CIO is neglectful parenting.

I only advocate for this if your baby is on a good schedule so you know that they're ready to sleep thru the night, you set them up for success by teaching independent sleep at bedtime, and you know when the age appropriate time is to wean off each feed so your baby isn't hungry. I also have a video monitor of course so I can check on the baby when they are crying to make sure they are safe.
I obviously don't believe this is neglectful because I don't neglect my kids. There are plenty of threads on the topic, I don't want to derail this one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics