Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Slow-Braised Pot Roast with Molasses and Mustard

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 4:22 pm
Since I was home anyway, I didn't make this in the crockpot but just braised it in my heavy Dutch oven. Since the meat and aromatics are sautéed before adding to the crockpot, I just let them cook in the same pot rather than transferring. However, crockpot definitely would work if you need the convenience of a crockpot dish. I subbed traditional pot roast meat so it was a bit fattier. I let it cool so it was easier to get rid of the fat and then reheated. It is actually a scientific fact that braised foods taste better the next day anyway. Smile

One of those crockpots where you can saute and sear to start things would probably be a good thing to have.

Slow-Braised Pot Roast with Molasses and Mustard

Excerpt From: Connie Guttersen - The New Sonoma Cookbook

This slow-cooked roast develops the rich flavor of the molasses and cinnamon to perfectly pair with beef. Using a slow cooker makes it a great meal to come home to.

Start to Finish: 4 hours, plus 1 to 24 hours for marinating      Yield: 8 servings

1 tablespoon garlic, chopped fine
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds top round or top sirloin roast - subbed traditional pot roast meat Very Happy
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups onions, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine garlic, paprika, mustard, cinnamon, rosemary, oregano, and pepper. Season meat with salt and pepper; rub with spice mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.

2. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and meat; brown lightly on all sides. Remove meat from pan and place in a crockpot. Add onions to the sauté pan and cook until translucent. Add garlic; cook until aromatic. Add molasses, mustard, soy sauce, and chicken stock; bring to a simmer. Pour into crockpot with meat. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until the meat is tender when poked with a fork. Remove meat from crockpot; let rest in a warm spot.

3. Degrease the liquid and puree until smooth in a blender. Adjust seasoning.

4. Slice the meat ¼ inch thick; serve with the sauce.

CULINARY NOTES

If the spice rub starts to stick and burn to the bottom of the pan, add a little stock to deglaze the pan.

The amount of time needed to cook the meat will depend on the thickness of the meat. A 1-inch-thick, long piece of meat will cook faster than a 2-inch-thick, shorter piece of meat.

The meat is lean, so cook it until it is just tender.

To determine doneness of the meat, insert a fork into the center of the meat. It should be easy to remove the fork and the meat should lightly flake when pulled apart. If there is a lot of resistance, the meat needs to cook longer.

cbg

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 4:37 pm
What cut did you use

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 4:40 pm
cbg wrote:
What cut did you use

Standard chuck roast so it is fattier than a sirloin or top round would be. That is why I cooked it and let it cool so the fat solidifies at the top. My mother had one of those separators but I think it's easier to let it cool and take off the fat that way.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:21 pm
The combination of spices is intriguing. Is the cinnamon overpowering?

Also, can honey be substituted for the molasses? If not, how about dark brown sugar?

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:25 pm
cbsp wrote:
The combination of spices is intriguing. Is the cinnamon overpowering?

Also, can honey be substituted for the molasses? If not, how about dark brown sugar?

Cinnamon is not tasted as "cinnamon". It is used in Greek cooking quite a bit for savory foods.

Molasses isn't really sweet in the same way that honey or brown sugar are so you might have to tweak a bit so that it isn't too sweet. But any recipe (not baking) can be adjusted. However, I like to make a recipe as specified the first time so that I have a sense of what it is supposed to taste like Very Happy

Also the recipe is called "Molasses and Mustard' Smile I am sure that using the recipe as "inspiration" would turn out well but it wouldn't have the umami of the molasses.

Molasses cookies are delicious and there are chicken sauces that also use molasses if you are worried about using up a bottle. It's not that expensive but I do understand reluctance to purchase ingredients without knowing whether one will use the rest of the jar. Smile

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:28 pm
Amarante wrote:
Cinnamon is not tasted as "cinnamon". It is used in Greek cooking quite a bit for savory foods.

Molasses isn't really sweet in the same way that honey or brown sugar are so you might have to tweak a bit so that it isn't too sweet. But any recipe (not baking) can be adjusted. However, I like to make a recipe as specified the first time so that I have a sense of what it is supposed to taste like Very Happy

Molasses cookies are delicious and there are chicken sauces that also use molasses

Got it, thanks. It really sounds very yummy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics