Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Att employers:New job offer/early pregnancy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:42 am
I was just offered a job I really want, and I’m in the beginning of pregnancy. When is the right time to let my new employers know? When I sit down to discuss salary and hours (after accepting the job) or do I wait a bit until I’m showing which will be pretty soon? I know most people wait but it’s making me anxious and I’m worried they may be upset since I knew I was pregnant when taking the job. For reference this is a professional job that requires A lot of training. I do plan on working until the baby and going back after. Would love to hear the opinion of employers not just employees Smile

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 1:44 am
I was also early preg and spoke to a few ppl and decided not to share. Like u I planned to come back. And legally I didn’t have to tell.
It was a little awkward when I did tell them (here you must tell in the 5th month) but my boss seemed happy for me and I did come back and still going strong Smile
Also I remember a thread here not that long ago with the same q... but she ended up telling and first he was all nice abt it and then he told her they don’t need her position after all.... something to consider

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:41 am
I'm not an employer, but I think you should wait until you're very clearly showing, like 6th month.

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 6:56 am
My mom has a story of two interviews, where both were pregnant. Mom asks for a certain time period of commitment.

One interview who mom suspected was pregnant was very casual about the whole thing....yeah I can commit no problem.

Second interview who mom didn't suspect anything, told my mom she was pregnant but was able to commit.

My mom hired the second interview. I think most of it was the attitude they took.

ETA: it also matters I think the type of job. With my mom's work it was sensative, where they were working with other ppl who need stability. At a desk job where you just might need to train ppl to do your tasks for a short while, might be different.

STMommy

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 8:46 am
was in the same boat - didn't tell them until I had the job but I also didn't wait too long (certainly didn't wait till 6th month!)- I returned to work after the minimum 6 week leave.

dak11

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:13 am
I would wait until they give you an offer letter and employment agreement. And before signing the employment agreement I would tell them. I think this way if they would decide to rescind the offer, it would be obvious that it's because you are pregnant and I don't think they would do this from a legal perspective.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:55 am
I told and the job offer was rescinded, B"H I got a better job offer a short time later and my future employer didn't mind at all. This was in Israel.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 11:08 am
I was 4 months along and not showing yet when I got my first job. I did not tell on the advice of my Rav and a coworker. I'm sure they were mad, but they're not allowed to discriminate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics