Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Husband having to approve every fashion choice
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:29 am
It sounds super controlling.
But if she thinks he's a fashion expert, then maybe she likes it.
Otherwise, no.
I do see women sometimes shopping with their dhs, but the husbands just sit to the side and barely comment.
I strongly believe an individual should pick their own clothes and be in charge of their own style, unless they truly don't care at all and the spouse does.

grace413

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 1:50 am
My mother always showed her clothes to my father for approval.

I always thought it was a bit weird.

My DH is totally unconcerned about what I wear.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 2:08 am
My father always said that whatever my mother bought was beautiful. My DH actually has an opinion, which was a surprise to me when we first got together.
But it's more of an abstract opinion, eg when we were engaged, he told me he doesnt like brown, while I was wearing a brown skirt! When I pointed it out to him, he said 'oh. Maybe not this brown, this looks good on you.' 🤣
He also doesn't claim to be a fashion expert, more expressing his views on what he likes or doesn't like on me, like I had a specific sweatshirt he liked, which I didn't even think was that flattering. But he really liked it on me.
Occasionally he will say he really doesn't like an item on me, and usually I'll return it, cuz of course I want him to be attracted to me. Unless I really love it, in which case I'll keep it anyway and just not wear it on date night.
He also keeps saying he'll take me shopping for a new wardrobe (post baby, body has changed again and I'm not loving it, nothing fits anymore), and we're nowhere close to newly weds, but covid and budget... so we haven't done it yet.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 2:32 am
I send pics of clothes all the time because I want him to like what I wear. He’s my husband if he hates it then why would I buy something not attractive for the one person I care most abt? But he actually has an eye for fashion so it def depends on the guy and how he’s saying (or demanding) it. Dh wud rather me choose myself and not bombard him with pics but I love his input

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:25 am
I think the title says it all. This is super controlling.

I'd ask her what other things in her life "he doesn't let."

I can't even imagine someone telling me what to wear. As long as it's tznius, and looks put together, what's the problem? I'm a grown woman, and I have my own style.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:26 am
Certainly it can be a symptom of something bad but more than likely it’s not.

When I was a newlywed I once went shopping with my best friend and I said a few times I didn’t want to buy something in particular because dh doesn’t like it. She seemed bothered by that and I kept wondering if something if off by me but I didn’t think so. Almost a decade later, were both in healthy relationships, but her husband doesn’t care at all about her fashion choices (seemingly). She doesn’t wear any makeup except to a chasana etc, wears a snood or casual tichel almost every day, dresses in very simple out of style clothes. It’s just a different type of couple and that’s fine. Ftr I am myself not trendy at all nor is dh but he appreciates a more formal look.

So this could very well be just a different type of couple and there could be no issue at all.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:34 am
Is this a hypothetical scenario?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:39 am
Dh cares what I wear and he will tell me if he likes something very much on me.

But if he doesn’t like it and I like it.. too bad!

Unless he absolutely hates it I wear it.

If I’m buying an expensive item or a dress or gown for a simcha I will ask him his opinion.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 11:53 am
I told guys I was dating that I wasn’t going to be one of those ppl who went clothing shopping with their husbands and would choose my own clothes. I think I might have scared off one or two people.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I told guys I was dating that I wasn’t going to be one of those ppl who went clothing shopping with their husbands and would choose my own clothes. I think I might have scared off one or two people.

I would've thought that most men would be OK with that as they (stereotypically) hate shopping.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 11:58 am
DH can sometimes ask me what I bought and I'll show it to him. he always has the same comment-stunning. sometimes without even looking. I find it cute

mizle10

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:02 pm
My DH definitely has an opinion, had great taste and will notice everything. He loves when I look good.

That being said, he doesn’t need to like every single thing I buy. If it’s a big purchase, for a simcha, we’re going to see his family, or we’re going out together I make sure he likes what I’m wearing. Otherwise I wear whatever I’m in the mood of.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics