Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Losing my mind; can't fall back asleep after feeding baby

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:31 am
And it is supreme torture. The baby is finally sleeping, house is dark and quiet and I'm laying wide awake. I am up now straight since 5am feeding and I'm gonna lose my mind.

She sleeps in a bassinets stroller near me. I tried keeping her in my bed but that's worse because I wake up every time she moves. She is breastfed so it's not like I'm getting up to prep bottles. It's just that waking up, lifting her out of her crib, nursing her, putting her back in, and rocking her to sleep makes me fully awake and then I can't fall back asleep!!!!!!!!!
No clue how I'm going to survive the day on 5 broken hours of sleep.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:35 am
Try this breathing technique. Breathe in for 4 seconds. Hold for 7. Release for 8. Do this 3-5x, wait a few minutes, and you should be asleep.

It slows down your heart rate etc so you can fall asleep. I did this the night before my wedding and slept like a baby. Works now too when I can't sleep after feeding baby.

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:42 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Try this breathing technique. Breathe in for 4 seconds. Hold for 7. Release for 8. Do this 3-5x, wait a few minutes, and you should be asleep.

It slows down your heart rate etc so you can fall asleep. I did this the night before my wedding and slept like a baby. Works now too when I can't sleep after feeding baby.

I also use breathing to fall asleep. What works for me is to inhale as deeply as I can then exhale. Then repeat (no specific time for each).
I also find a weighted blanket helpful.

English3

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:43 am
How old is she? BC straight after birth until a few weeks it is very normal. Your body kind of goes into survival mode.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:51 am
Omg I wanted to post the same exact thing this morning. Every night I get woken up by the baby (formula fed) and by the time we’re done I’m wide awake. And a zombie the next day.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:52 am
This is why baby doesn’t sleep in my room.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 4:56 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

My baby doesn’t sleep in my room and it makes the whole wake up worse. I’m more wide awake after going to baby’s room.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 5:15 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Omg I wanted to post the same exact thing this morning. Every night I get woken up by the baby (formula fed) and the time we’re done I’m wide awake. And a zombie the next day.

This is me exactly. And I feel for you OP, it's torture. Sometimes I'll make a cup of tea or read a little but it's really, really hard.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 6:31 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

How will that help? I will have to get up and go to another room which will make me even more awake.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 6:32 am
English3 wrote:
How old is she? BC straight after birth until a few weeks it is very normal. Your body kind of goes into survival mode.

She is 8 weeks, and I am back at work so I really, really need to sleep.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 6:34 am
I found that also after the 4 or 5 am feeding so I just went to bed early and started my day early

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 6:36 am
Ugh, so no ideas anyone? I tried the breathing; doesn't do it for me.

It's insane; when I first wake up from her crying, I feel like I am being pulled out of such a deep sleep.
By the time she's done eating, I literally feel energy coursing through me, adrenaline-like.

Almost feels like my body is reacting as though I was woken because there is an emergency, so I need to be wide awake, if that makes any sense.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 6:53 am
Can your husband do the middle-of-the-night feeding? You can either pump a bottle during the day, or he can give formula. I have a very difficult time falling back asleep also, while my husband falls back asleep within minutes, so he does the night feeding.

My opinion is that once mom is back at work she really cant be the only one doing night feedings

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:01 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Can your husband do the middle-of-the-night feeding? You can either pump a bottle during the day, or he can give formula. I have a very difficult time falling back asleep also, while my husband falls back asleep within minutes, so he does the night feeding.

My opinion is that once mom is back at work she really cant be the only one doing night feedings

He doesn't like to because he doesn't do well without sleep and also he thinks it takes much longer than nursing, and both he and the baby will be more wide awake after leaving bedroom, prepping formula bottle, feeding on couch etc, and nursing is quicker and easier.
He's usually right, but I told him I need a stretch of sleep desperately tonight; I'm not built to survive on 5 hours of sleep.

It is just so DUMB, because its not like she's up screaming all night (although that would probably be harder.). Bh, bh she's a relatively good baby, but her mom just can't sleeeeeeppppp......gggrrrrr.

Also, she a newborn. Its not just one night feeding. She was up quite a few times before that 5am feeding, but I managed to fall back asleep those times.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ugh, so no ideas anyone? I tried the breathing; doesn't do it for me.

It's insane; when I first wake up from her crying, I feel like I am being pulled out of such a deep sleep.
By the time she's done eating, I literally feel energy coursing through me, adrenaline-like.

Almost feels like my body is reacting as though I was woken because there is an emergency, so I need to be wide awake, if that makes any sense.

I'm serious about the method I mentioned before... It's a known technique https://www.medicalnewstoday.c.....nute. so try it tonight

Otherwise it sounds crazy but you can try this. I know people who swear by it (not only for babies)

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 7:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He doesn't like to because he doesn't do well without sleep and also he thinks it takes much longer than nursing, and both he and the baby will be more wide awake after leaving bedroom, prepping formula bottle, feeding on couch etc, and nursing is quicker and easier.
He's usually right, but I told him I need a stretch of sleep desperately tonight; I'm not built to survive on 5 hours of sleep.

It is just so DUMB, because its not like she's up screaming all night (although that would probably be harder.). Bh, bh she's a relatively good baby, but her mom just can't sleeeeeeppppp......gggrrrrr.

Also, she a newborn. Its not just one night feeding. She was up quite a few times before that 5am feeding, but I managed to fall back asleep those times.

But you dont do well without sleep either. And you dont like to do it either. But that's life with babies. Everyone has to pitch in.

In my experience formula feedings take much much faster than nursing, and my babies were much more satiated from formula so they went longer between feedings.

You can prep the bottle in advance. There are diff methods. Like if you leave hot boiling hot water in the bottle before u go to sleep, then by the time the baby needs it it is lukewarm. You can leave all the formula supplies in your bedroom. Or you can leave a thermos with hot water and a cold water bottle in your room, so he can use that to make the bottle in the middle of the night.

Why cant he feed the baby in the room? I find that if my husband picks up the baby as soon as she starts crying and starts the feeding immediately, then it usually doesnt wake me enough to keep me up for the rest of the night. Like vaguely in the back of my mind I hear something going on but I'm still half asleep. I also feel relaxed knowing that someone else is taking care of the baby. As opposed to when I know that I need to do it and then I get more alert.

The only way I agree to go off BC is if my husband promises to do night feedings. Which he is happy to do because he understands that it cant all fall on me, especially if I am also expected to work

Sorry for my long post it just really angers me when men dont step up to the plate. My brothers and brothers in law all do night feedings. My dad did it. Its not fun and no one likes it, but if you want babies you have to be willing to do your share

If he does just that one smack-in-middle-of the night feeding, then you can still get a decent stretch of sleep.

lovetobemommy

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:33 am
I always start the night with me in my bed and baby in his crib and in the morning I find him in my bed
I have no freaking idea what's happening at night.... What time he wakes up or how many times he feeds when the baby cries I just take him to my bed and continue sleeping while he nurses I don't remember in the morning when it happens.... Or me getting up and taking him to my bed.
During the night it's sleeping time there is no talking, rocking, burping, diapering etc.

That's how I get my few hours of much needed sleep (mom for 6 boys)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:36 am
This is me and it’s super frustrating!
but I’ve learned over the years to just take it easy, and not think how many hours I slept and just let it go

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 9:30 am
lovetobemommy wrote:
I always start the night with me in my bed and baby in his crib and in the morning I find him in my bed
I have no freaking idea what's happening at night.... What time he wakes up or how many times he feeds when the baby cries I just take him to my bed and continue sleeping while he nurses I don't remember in the morning when it happens.... Or me getting up and taking him to my bed.
During the night it's sleeping time there is no talking, rocking, burping, diapering etc.

That's how I get my few hours of much needed sleep (mom for 6 boys)

Ya, I've been told this by moms of many. You guys are so lucky. It seems impossible to me; I tried it.

I wake up every time the baby moves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics