Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Switching schools- ages/impact

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:25 am
If switching schools is necessary (such as due to moving), what is the impact of this at different ages? For example, is it unfair for a girl to switch schools after 4th grade as she most likely has developed friendships at this age? (is switching earlier always better?)

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:27 am
We switched at 4th grade and it went very well. I think it also depends on the personality of the child and how easy they adapt and make new friends.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:38 am
Depends a lot on how easy it is to make friends at the new school. If it's a common transition point, like sixth or ninth grade, then there may be many students who are new to each other, which makes making friends easier.

I switched schools twice. In fourth grade and in ninth grade. Both were easy transitions. It wasn't a relocation situation though, so I was able to keep some friends from my old schools both times. The second switch was to a standalone high school, so everyone was "new," although some kids knew each other previously.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:38 am
6th-8th are the worst grades to switch IMO

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:52 am
We moved when my oldest (a boy) was in 5th grade. We moved in middle of the year. He hates sports and is more of an introvert. He definitely had a hard time with the move and took a long time to make friends. Fast forward 7 years and he's happy and has friends. Just know it can take time.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 10:50 am
I think from friends who have done it and seeing my kids and their classmates the issues pop up when you move between communities or schools with totally different hashkafas or academic levels. The academic catch up and figuring out a new set of social norms can be really hard on an older kid.

I think if your staying within a similar framework most kids work it out just fine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 12:40 pm
Thank you all for sharing.

Would you say that there can be advantages to switching schools when the child is a bit older (say 5th grade, instead of 3rd) because in this way the child is 'better equipped' to deal with the challenges involved? I'm trying to figure out if a delay could possibly be of benefit (even considering the friendships aspect).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children