Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help me stop eating

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:06 pm
It just hit me that the reason I'm having such a hard time controlling my food intake is because I enjoy the act of eating. I'm not hungry, I just like to eat. I'll eat food even if I don't like it, even if I'm full. I'm always craving something to eat - the craving is in my mouth, not my stomach. I don't want to chew gum because I had TMJ from chewing gum when I was younger. Please help me stay away from food!!

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:01 pm
Wow!
Me too!!!
I realized years ago that I have oral sensory needs.
And some of my eating is to satisfy that.
I even tried the sensory chewies.
I also can’t chew gum because of TMJ.

What surprised me recently is that - my son’s OT recommended resistive sucking for him - she said to get twirly straws- and one night I tried it and it helped.

It still won’t satisfy me if I want food- but it could help.

Maybe you could do one session with an OT and see if she can give you some ideas.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:53 pm
You sound like I used to for 45 years. When I went very low carb, that feeling went away. It’s coming up on four years in may.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:57 pm
Food addictions are neurological. We enjoy it because of the neurochemical fixit gives us.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It just hit me that the reason I'm having such a hard time controlling my food intake is because I enjoy the act of eating. I'm not hungry, I just like to eat. I'll eat food even if I don't like it, even if I'm full. I'm always craving something to eat - the craving is in my mouth, not my stomach. I don't want to chew gum because I had TMJ from chewing gum when I was younger. Please help me stay away from food!!

I could have written this post, word for word. I feel ya!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Wow!
Me too!!!
I realized years ago that I have oral sensory needs.
And some of my eating is to satisfy that.
I even tried the sensory chewies.
I also can’t chew gum because of TMJ.

What surprised me recently is that - my son’s OT recommended resistive sucking for him - she said to get twirly straws- and one night I tried it and it helped.

It still won’t satisfy me if I want food- but it could help.

Maybe you could do one session with an OT and see if she can give you some ideas.

What do you do with the twirly straw? I'd like to try it.
And how do you do resistive sucking?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:34 am
Same problem. No tmj.
Following.
Would love to lose 30 pounds but it is so so hard. And I love to bake.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:20 am
andrea levy wrote:
You sound like I used to for 45 years. When I went very low carb, that feeling went away. It’s coming up on four years in may.

What Andrea said ^^
When I eat carbs my brain is a constant cycle of "Maybe you should have cookies? How about a sandwich? You should find an interesting recipe! How about some fruit? Remember there's leftover ice cream in the freezer?"... On and on and on. It has nothing to do with what my body actually needs, I can eat and eat until I'm way beyond stuffed and my stomach hurts and takes hours to digest everything. That's how I finished every shabbos meal, every simcha, every meal in a restaurant...
I randomly tried a keto diet and I realized that I'm not inherently a glutton. That's just what carbs do to my brain. After 3-4 days eating super low carb then the noise in my brain quiets. Even if I didn't loose any weight (and I did!) it would be worthwhile to cut out carbs, just to have a calmer, non addicted mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise