Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Painting brown trim/molding- please help

imamom7

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 9:40 pm
Has anyone painted The brown trim and doors in their house white ? Id love to do this but im worried about how it will hold up over time
Please lmk if you've done it and if its held up

mommy2379

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 10:43 pm
did it. It chipped pretty badly in the places that get a lot of use.

s c

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:01 am
I did in one room. If you prep well..sand it, prime it etc it should hold up just as well as any other white trim you have in your house . I don't regret doing it from wear and tear point of view but because I think it looked nicer with the wood look!

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 5:37 am
If you paint on top of it, it will slowly chip/peel off, with what's underneath being visible.

If you sand it down to the bare wood, then prime and paint 2 coats, it holds better and if any paint rubs off, the look is better.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 7:41 am
If you have children at home, you will forever be scrubbing down the trim. Even if you use high gloss enamel, grubby little hands will be touching it every time they pass through. It's almost like kids are magnetically drawn to leave prints on white paint.

The best rule of interior decorating trim, is to go one or two shades darker than the walls, or in a contrasting color that is a darker hue than the walls.

For example, if your walls are a soft peachy pink, medium gray trim will look very fresh and light, but a pale gray will look weird and washed out. Fern or forest green trim will look better than mint green.

I hope that makes sense.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 7:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you paint on top of it, it will slowly chip/peel off, with what's underneath being visible.

If you sand it down to the bare wood, then prime and paint 2 coats, it holds better and if any paint rubs off, the look is better.

That is a HECK of a lot of work. In terms of labor alone, it's actually cheaper to remove the trim entirely, and replace it with pre-primed MDF trim. (Have the original trim turned into picture frames.)

imamom7

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:12 am
Hmmm not sure what to do
Has anyone updated their house without painting trim

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
That is a HECK of a lot of work. In terms of labor alone, it's actually cheaper to remove the trim entirely, and replace it with pre-primed MDF trim. (Have the original trim turned into picture frames.)

I know. But I was in a rental where we just painted, and we wished we would have just left them alone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars