Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Lunch with a non-Jewish colleague -- please help

A_Mother_First

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:53 pm
Hi,

I am having lunch tomorrow with a non-Jewish colleague/academic mentor. She had always been accommodating to my kosher dietary needs, but the few times that we dined together, she was less than impressed, and she found the food quite bland.

we are celebrating a milestone, and she wanted to go to an Indian restaurant (Pongal) but after checking, I could not tell if the hechsher is reliable. Any alternatives that you would recommend for a café or restaurant midtown Manhattan?

One place that came to mind is Paprika. Any other ideas?

Looking for mid-range in terms of price. She prefers something ethnic, with interesting and tasty food options. Either vegetarian or fleishig place.

I appreciate your help! Thanks.

feigeleh

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:49 pm
Barnea
Mikes bistro
Abaita (dairy)
Colbeh if they’re open (not sure) could be classified as ethnic maybe. The others not really.
If you’re willing to go further afield, Rothschild TLV on upper east side is more interesting/bold flavor wise though I guess not ethnic either
None of these are cheap

A_Mother_First

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:51 pm
Thank you!

feigeleh

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:01 pm
Just wanted to add might be worth calling those places even if they’re pricey they may have good lunch deals.
Good luck

icedcoffee

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:32 pm
Tempura NYC is a rooftop sushi place, supposed to be really good but I haven't been yet. I second Colbeh (Persian) and Abaita (Italian).

A_Mother_First

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:51 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Tempura NYC is a rooftop sushi place, supposed to be really good but I haven't been yet. I second Colbeh (Persian) and Abaita (Italian).

Paprika's menu is now together with Colebh. Is this one place or two separate restaurants? Paprika has Persian offerings too. I ate there once and it was tasty. I never tried Colebh.

Upper East side locations are now game too, as my colleague now says she may want to meet closer to there. Please keep the ideas coming. Thanks so much

icedcoffee

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:57 pm
I did read that Paprika and Colbeh did some sort of merger but I'm not sure exactly how it works. On the UES, highly recommend Nargila Grill! Very good Middle Eastern food and reasonably priced. There's also Eighteen Restaurant which has a little bit of everything - sushi, burgers, Middle Eastern. Rothschild TLV is absolutely delicious but definitely on the expensive side, though some things on the menu are pricier than others.

bobeli

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 6:28 pm
Please call in advance, many places have different hours and menu because of corona

singleagain

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 6:45 pm
Is it an option for the two of you to order/ pick up from different places and sit in the pedestrian mall in/around times square

Bruria

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:55 pm
Tiberias

trixx

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:56 pm
I can only comment on abaita which is just amazing food. Dairy and not ethnic, but amazing, like a culinary experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics