Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Why is purim greater that yom kippur??

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 7:30 am
this always bothers me but every year dh say the same thing.

Purim is greater that yom kippur..

why and how?? on purim I can't get anyfeel for teh greatness of the day.. even though it's a special time to daven I just can't get that feeling.

by Yom Kippur, your, davening, fasting, wearingwhite etc you can easilly feel the holiness on teh day.. so I would think that yom kippur is greater so why is it taht purim is greater?? and how can you reach that greatness of taht day??

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 9:28 am
You don't have a seudah on yom kippur and you make up for it on purim.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 9:38 am
soooo...

you have a seuda erev yom kippur and motzei yom kippur so it still doesn't make it more special.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 9:59 am
Maybe your husband can tell you why?

I've heard that Purim is LIKE Yom Kippur (forgot why) but not greater than.

greentiger

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 10:15 am
miriamnechama wrote:
this always bothers me but every year dh say
by Yom Kippur, your, davening, fasting, wearingwhite etc you can easilly feel the holiness on teh day.. so I would think that yom kippur is greater so why is it taht purim is greater?? and how can you reach that greatness of taht day??

That's exactly why. It's easy to be good when the daily focus is repenting, but it's as if Gd says "lets see who you really are underneath it all. It's something like how mincha is the most impt tefillah specifically because its right in the middle of you hecktic day.

Another reason is that on Purim "kol haposhet yad notnim lo" -you give to anyone who puts his hand out. Gd does that too, all you need to do is ask.

Yet another reason is that davening when you are happy has a stronger effect than davinig when you are broken.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 10:50 am
I asked my husband and he said that both Yom Kippur and Purim are very holy days. It is said that you can achieve with feasting and happiness on Purim the same heights that you can achieve through fasting and praying on Yom Kippur.

That's pretty "gevaldig". Maybe I need to just focus every now and then for a couple of minutes on the fact that it's a holy day and daven in small snatches. Just remember to ask for what I need on this special day. It's all too easy to get bogged down in all the activity.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 11:24 am
ok so on purim you can ask your hearts content and get it.... well isn't that also yom kippure when your asking to be sealed for a good year, parnassa etc. you know in neila we say chosmenu..... or is it tahgt yom kippur we ask like we are broken and purim we aqre happy.. I stil don't get it cus on both days we can ask...

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 1:11 pm
I don't know about you. I'm always happy when I'm told that "this is a good day to daven". Means Hashem is listening especially closely.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 1:35 pm
pp say the whole tehillim on purim, its a very holy day.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:08 pm
Thank you for reminding me about that Sleepless.
Not that I'll find much time for Tehillim with Purim being on Friday Rolling Eyes Still, I can try to say SOME Tehillim.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 4:03 pm
Quote:
I've heard that Purim is LIKE Yom Kippur (forgot why) but not greater than

Quite the opposite. Yom Kippur is LIKE Purim (Yom KePurim - a day like Purim) I.e that Yom Kippur is like, but not as high as Purim.
Some ideas:
On Purim we fast and then feast;
On Yom Kippur we feast and then fast.

Purim means [drawing] lots and is named after the lots that Haman drew;
On Yom Kippur the Kohen Gadol drew lots on the heads of the rams.

On Purim, Queen Esther approached the King and begged for mercy for the entire nation
On Yom Kippur we approach Hashem and beg for mercy, generally for our own souls.

So those are some of the reasons why Purim and Yom Kippur are alike.

Why Purim is greater?

Because on Yom Kippur we can reach a level at which the sins we committed become as if they were unintentional, while on Purim we can reach the higher level at which our sins actually become merits. On Yom Kippur our main focus is on the sins that we have committed towards Hashem (even though we must ask forgiveness before YK from our friends). This is even to the extent that some people have a minhag to do a ta'anit dibur on YK (not to speak, except in prayer).
On Purim our main task is to show our love for other Jews by sending gifts to one another. We (at least, the men) are commanded to drink until they reveal the hidden secret that comes out when they drink wine - the true secret of their hidden neshamah and their love for all Jews (if someone knows that what is revealed is otherwise, then he shouldn't drink, or he should drink enough to put himself to sleep!)
The level we can reach by showing our love in practice, for Hashem's nation, is higher than the level we can reach through the fear that we experience when we stand before Hashem on YK.
So, put your Tehilim away and eat, drink and be merry with your friends!

P.S. On these lines, Dh's family have a minhag to daven together at the Purim feast for things they would like to happen in the family and have seen many yeshuot from these prayers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics