Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to handle this? Midnight snacks

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 8:21 am
My dc has been waking up in middle of the night complaining that she's hungry. I believed at first it started as a tactic to stay out of bed but now I'm not so sure.
If I tell her no she cries endlessly how hungry she is. So now I'll tell her to grab an apple sauce or cheese which she'll do and then go back to sleep.
I don't think this is a healthy habit but I'm not sure how to handle it.
Any suggestions?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 8:41 am
How old is she? She might be having a growth spurt. Toddlers tend to eat smaller meals, and more often. Their tiny stomachs can only take in a certain amount at each mealtime, but they will get hungry faster.

After bath, pajamas, and story time (but before brushing teeth) ask her one more time if she wants a snack before bed. Make sure it's something filling like oatmeal, pasta, or toast.

If she's old enough to understand, like 4 or 5, tell her that the rule is "no eating after you brush your teeth." If she's younger than that, she may very well be hungry, and hopefully the bedtime snack will fix that.

Is she night trained? If not, she may need to use the bathroom, and her body is confusing signals. Put her on the toilet every time she wakes up. It will help speed up the night training.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:29 am
Thanks for the advice! Going to try it tonight.

rgr

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:11 am
Add more protein and healthy fats during the day

miami85

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:21 am
My kids are like this, and I find no point in fighting it. They are fairly self-regulated with food--healthy balance of food and nosh, and I find that if they are hungry there's nothing that's going to distract them if they don't eat so make it a healthy choice.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:35 am
I have this right now with my four year old. She wakes up at 4 and wants to eat and drink. I think it’s a really bad habit so I don’t allow it. She falls back to sleep. Of course I make sure she ate a filling dinner

lucky14

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:39 am
After teeth brushing it's no more food until breakfast at our house. Water is ok but nothing else. Offer a snack before bed like someone else suggested. Something nice and filling and remind that after brushing teeth no more eating until breakfast.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 12:45 pm
She's 3 years old. Is that age to young to be strict about it?
What are some examples of healthy fats? She eats lots of protein.

hodeez

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 12:48 pm
I keep rice cakes on the table for this reason, my son always comes out to nosh so I would rather him eat that than who-knows-what from the pantry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics