Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Reversing autism/adhd diagnosis?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:14 pm
If a dr diagnoses a child with either of these diagnoses In a virtual visit - meaning they did not actually see the child, can the diagnosis be reversed?
Also, how does a diagnosis work?
Do parents have a say if they agree with the assessment before the official diagnosis goes through and gets put on record?

Thank you

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:20 pm
What makes you think the diagnoses are inaccurate?

mha3484

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:27 pm
In my experience, a diagnosis doesn't mean a lot. I found my sons neuro-psych to be very helpful in that it gave us a lot of recommendations for how to best help him. We got an indepth picture of his strengths and weaknesses. The fact that he has ADHD was the least significant part to us. It was more how can we help him best. What meds/therapies are best geared towards his needs. A few years in, it rarely comes up. My kids school is just happy to see him be successful. His ADHD is just in the background.

We went back and forth a few time with the psychologist before we considered the report final and he presented it to the school. He offered us to have two versions one for us and one for them that omitted any information we wanted to keep private.

I work very hard with my son to teach him that ADHD is not shameful. His rebbe tells him all about his own ADHD which has been an awesome experience for him this year. If there is a record out there that says he has ADHD I really dont care.

cnc

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:31 pm
I don’t see how autism testing can be done virtually. There are screening tools used to diagnose properly such as ADOS, Vineland etc

nicole81

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:50 pm
What record are you talking about? Who do you want to shield this info from? The memorialization of the diagnosis doesn't have to go further than the doctor who recorded it. If s/he shares it with your child's pediatrician, it can end there, too. You don't need to do anything with it, and no one needs to see it. For your own assuredness, you can always also go for second, third, and fourth opinions.

That said, I don't think an autism diagnosis made in a single virtual visit is valid. It doesn't mean your child isn't on the spectrum, but there is no way a widely accepted standard diagnostic tool and protocol was used and it sounds more like a doctor who likes to throw around dxs like candy (or to help people get services easily).

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
What makes you think the diagnoses are inaccurate?

Let's say 4 Dr's disagree, and then one doctor who is known to hand out diagnoses and prescriptions gives a diagnosis. What happens?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:53 pm
An autism diagnosis can be removed.
As per my son's neurologist eval, they said if he progresses well they can reevaluate him in a few years to see if he is still on the spectrum.
He is borderline asd.

I don't know about ADHD.

amother
OP

cnc wrote:
I don’t see how autism testing can be done virtually. There are screening tools used to diagnose properly such as ADOS, Vineland etc

Thanks. What about a ASD diagnosis?

amother
Maroon

amother [ OP ] wrote:

ASD is autism.

cnc

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Autism is ASD (autism spectrum disorder)

cnc

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let's say 4 Dr's disagree, and then one doctor who is known to hand out diagnoses and prescriptions gives a diagnosis. What happens?

In order for a diagnosis to be made, there are universal screening tools and DSM criteria. I've heard of people getting illegitimate diagnoses from doctors in order to be eligible for certain services etc. Labels don't change who your child is though. What is the purpose of the dx?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:00 pm
nicole81 wrote:
What record are you talking about? Who do you want to shield this info from? The memorialization of the diagnosis doesn't have to go further than the doctor who recorded it. If s/he shares it with your child's pediatrician, it can end there, too. You don't need to do anything with it, and no one needs to see it. For your own assuredness, you can always also go for second, third, and fourth opinions.

That said, I don't think an autism diagnosis made in a single virtual visit is valid. It doesn't mean your child isn't on the spectrum, but there is no way a widely accepted standard diagnostic tool and protocol was used and it sounds more like a doctor who likes to throw around dxs like candy (or to help people get services easily).

I don't know, I was told once something is on a child's record, it's on a child's record? Maybe that's misinformation.

I have been for multiple opinions (>5). All had the same opinion. (No diagnosis)
My concern is what happens if one dr gives a diagnosis after a virtual visit? (I.e. the dr is trigger happy with handing out diagnoses. Maybe to be able to prescribe meds, maybe to obtain services more easily, but the result is the same: a diagnosis that multiple diagnosticians (who HAVE seen the child in person AND evaluated the child extensively in person) disagree with.
What happens then?

Also, hi Nicole81! I've been thinking about you!!! You've helped me tremendously on other unrelated topics and I haven't seen you around!!! You've been missed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:04 pm
cnc wrote:
In order for a diagnosis to be made, there are universal screening tools and DSM criteria. I've heard of people getting illegitimate diagnoses from doctors in order to be eligible for certain services etc. Labels don't change who your child is though. What is the purpose of the dx?

My question is - can a doctor make a illegitimate diagnosis if the parent disagrees?
No it doesn't change the child, but Lets say the dr wants to push specific meds ot therapies which will only be available with a diagnosis, and again, this diagnosis is via a quick virtual visit, what happens?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:12 pm
I have read many accounts of parents healing their child’s asd or adhd diagnosis to the point where they no longer qualified, were re-evaluated and they “lost” the diagnosis. I’m not sure if this is more symbolic or practical.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know, I was told once something is on a child's record, it's on a child's record? Maybe that's misinformation.

The only context I can think of where something like this might apply is if your child is someday asked to consent to disclosure of medical records as a precondition for applying to some sort of very sensitive job (like CIA agent) or getting life insurance.

Is this one of those situations where your child's school made you go to a specific practitioner and is expecting to be told of the outcome of the evaluation?

nicole81

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have been for multiple opinions (>5). All had the same opinion. (No diagnosis)
My concern is what happens if one dr gives a diagnosis after a virtual visit? (I.e. the dr is trigger happy with handing out diagnoses. Maybe to be able to prescribe meds, maybe to obtain services more easily, but the result is the same: a diagnosis that multiple diagnosticians (who HAVE seen the child in person AND evaluated the child extensively in person) disagree with.
What happens then?

Also, hi Nicole81! I've been thinking about you!!! You've helped me tremendously on other unrelated topics and I haven't seen you around!!! You've been missed.

Hi! Glad to hear I have been of help to someone about something in the 17 years I've been popping on and off here Very Happy Surprised

So... my understanding is that nothing happens, unless you signed any forms allowing the doctor to release the information to other providers or entities. Are you going to be pursuing anything from here like services/therapies? If not, you can just ignore it and forget about it. The only caveat being if this could potentially be a legal issue down the line (like with custody), then I'd make sure to see a top medical team for a full evaluation just to be sure.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My question is - can a doctor make a illegitimate diagnosis if the parent disagrees?
No it doesn't change the child, but Lets say the dr wants to push specific meds ot therapies which will only be available with a diagnosis, and again, this diagnosis is via a quick virtual visit, what happens?

The doctor can say whatever they want. You don't need to fill any prescriptions or apply for any therapies, or ever go back again. But it sounds like you're worried about something specific here.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 3:26 pm
OP, can I ask why you've been to 5 different doctors?

If you don't think your child should be diagnosed with anything, why all the extra visits? What are you looking for?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 4:11 pm
nicole81 wrote:
The doctor can say whatever they want. You don't need to fill any prescriptions or apply for any therapies, or ever go back again. But it sounds like you're worried about something specific here.

Thank you! I didn't know that.

I am just skeptical over a diagnosis given after a virtual visit that other providers who evaluated the child in person disagree with

imasinger

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 5:43 pm
AIUI, HIPAA means that nothing is going to get shared unless you give permission. Full stop.

That means that if you decide to use the diagnosis in order to benefit from treatment, then, you and/or therapists decide he's done, nobody else will know about the diagnosis unless you choose to tell them.

And people do sometimes appear to outgrow ASD diagnosis. It's rare, and possibly stems from something else having been the issue, but if the treatments were helpful, who cares?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children