Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mystery Recommendations
Previous  1  2

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
Jenn Mckinley was nice for cozy mysteries. I also enjoy Rhys Bowen. There's always Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers for classic mysteries.
I have all of Christie & Sayers.

Also Lillian Jackson Braun, Mary Stewart (well, I read the Arthur series long ago when I went to the library. Haven't collected them but thinking about it, but have all her other books.)

Also almost all of Erle Stanley Gardner & Rex Stout.

I will have a look at McKinley & Bowen. 100% clean?

Rhys Bowen is a good rec, both her various mystery series and historical stand alones.
You might also like the mysteries by M.M. Kaye. I think they've been reprinted recently.
Both are clean, nothing graphic in regard to violence or s*x just mild hints, at most.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
Jenn Mckinley was nice for cozy mysteries. I also enjoy Rhys Bowen. There's always Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers for classic mysteries.
I have all of Christie & Sayers.

Also Lillian Jackson Braun, Mary Stewart (well, I read the Arthur series long ago when I went to the library. Haven't collected them but thinking about it, but have all her other books.)

Also almost all of Erle Stanley Gardner & Rex Stout.

I will have a look at McKinley & Bowen. 100% clean?

I haven't read them in a while, but I don't remember anything unsuitable in them. Should be on a similar level to Christie etc. I've discovered Amazon have a whole range of cozy mystery type books. They're wonderfully fluffy. When I had kindle unlimited for a while I used to read a lot of them.
Mary Stewart I found was similar to Victoria Holt.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 5:19 pm
I liked Mary Stewart back in the day. Not quite as dated as Victoria Holt. Sweet & romantic, with a bit of an edge of suspense.

Another rec that popped into my mind is Helen McInnes. Her books have been reprinted recently, too.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 6:14 pm
I read it in high school when it was the rage. I could not put it down and literally left school early to go home to finish it. lol

But I was disturbed by the zxual parts even as a very knowledgeable 18 year old.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:31 pm
Anthony Horowitz? (I think he writes for kids too, which doesn't mean he writes clean for adults, of course...) Magpie Murders looks intriguing. Anyone read it?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anthony Horowitz? (I think he writes for kids too, which doesn't mean he writes clean for adults, of course...) Magpie Murders looks intriguing. Anyone read it?

If you like Agatha Christie, you will probably like Magpie Murders.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:25 pm
Quote:
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Quote:
If you like Agatha Christie, you will probably like Magpie Murders.
As clean as Agath?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I enjoyed it.

You could try Louise Penny's books. For very light and clean, Alexander McCall Smith and MC Beaton. The Kate Shackleton mysteries by Frances Brody are also a pleasant read.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room