Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Harry potter movie question

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:29 pm
my kids have gotten into harry potter they read the books one is just about done the series. they watched the first 3 movies rated PG the next 2 are PG-13 then PG again . I am not a sci -fi fan and not going to watch them so I am asking is there any reason not to let them watch this one rated PG-13 movie ? would love for someone who watched the movies to help guide me. my kids are very good asking me to check movies before they watch .

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:31 pm
How old are your kids?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:31 pm
I think the movies get more and more gory and dark. I did not let my kids watch 4 and up. Maybe even 3. Lots of gross, evil killing. Ugh.
There is some kissing in the later ones and I think in the last one, some nudity.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:36 pm
my kids are between 11-15 I don't think the gory stuff will scare them and they have watched things with a bit of kissing but more then that I rather not. and how gory is the gory does that even make sense. right now they want 4 we cant stream them so we have to pay for each one so its not like they watch them at once they need to earn it .

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 9:59 pm
https://www.commonsensemedia.o.....-fire

If you don't have a filter, check out this website which vets movies for you. This is movie #4.

amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I think the movies get more and more gory and dark. I did not let my kids watch 4 and up. Maybe even 3. Lots of gross, evil killing. Ugh.
There is some kissing in the later ones and I think in the last one, some nudity.

Are you sure you're talking about HP? Also BH if that's your basis for gory. Lol. Dark, yes, but not gory....

lucky14

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my kids are between 11-15 I don't think the gory stuff will scare them and they have watched things with a bit of kissing but more then that I rather not. and how gory is the gory does that even make sense. right now they want 4 we cant stream them so we have to pay for each one so its not like they watch them at once they need to earn it .

Based on that they will be totally fine.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:03 pm
There's no nudity in HP.

lucky14

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Oh I don't remember that. Maybe I'm not the best person to give the OK after all.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
There's no nudity in HP.

First of all, there is..I think its the 7th or 8th movie, when they kill the horcrux (forgot what its called) there is this nighmare than Ron has that Harry and Hermione are making out. So you see them in his nightmare and they are both undressed, hugging and kissing. Its not perfectly clear but I call that nudity.

Second, I always find that I find things objectionable that other don't. Maybe my kids and I are very sheltered, so you dont have to go by my standards. I didn't see the whole thing, only pieces and I found the end of #4 horrifyingly disgusting, the part where Voldemort becomes human again. Also the beginning how they kill the old man. Its just all very violent and gory. Much more gory than 1 or 2, which were childish in comparison.

I didn't let my kids read any books past 4 either. There is a lot of romance in 5 and up.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:43 pm
Oh. I forgot also the whole scene where they are trying to kill hermione and she is screaming bloody murder. And the part where they have this man hanging by a rope upside down over voldemorts table and then he kills him. Its just so dark and violent. Not sure why anyone would want thrir kids to see that.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:59 pm
I think they are pretty dark.
Could be 85% is not dark but there are dark scenes - the post above reminded me.
Sometimes I even like to skip the nasty parts in the book.
But it’s much worse if you’re seeing it.

Also, IMO-although I liked the movies, the books are exponentially better.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
First of all, there is..I think its the 7th or 8th movie, when they kill the horcrux (forgot what its called) there is this nighmare than Ron has that Harry and Hermione are making out. So you see them in his nightmare and they are both undressed, hugging and kissing. Its not perfectly clear but I call that nudity.

Second, I always find that I find things objectionable that other don't. Maybe my kids and I are very sheltered, so you dont have to go by my standards. I didn't see the whole thing, only pieces and I found the end of #4 horrifyingly disgusting, the part where Voldemort becomes human again. Also the beginning how they kill the old man. Its just all very violent and gory. Much more gory than 1 or 2, which were childish in comparison.

I didn't let my kids read any books past 4 either. There is a lot of romance in 5 and up.

You see a blurry outline of their naked shoulders that’s it.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:09 pm
For age 11-15 I think it's completely fine. There are some dark moments but frankly, at the end of the day it's a beloved kids series, not some horror slasher.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
You see a blurry outline of their naked shoulders that’s it.

No. Its more than that.
Its clearly more than that, although they accomplished the scene without making it too graphic.
OP, if you are asking the question, I would recommend you watch the video first by yourself if possible. Other mothers can't really jugde for you.
I have relied on people's opinions in the past an regretted it. Everyone has their own sensitivities. What I find unclean, another might find perfectly fine and vice versa.

Roots

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 12:49 pm
so movies 1-3 are perfectly ok from what I recall
4 has the yule ball and also when theres mistletoe and cho and harry kiss - my mom made us skip over those scenes
I watched 5 also while still in my (very yeshivish)parents house- (but with my mom)
personally I saw 6 and 7 only after I got married cuz thats when they came out Smile

Crookshanks

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 1:32 pm
I watched the movies once but they were too creepy to watch again. In a sense I feel they're even scarier than the Fantastic Beast movies, which though written for adults don't have as much violence.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics