Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
When can my DD wear short sleeves

helpful

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 7:40 pm
I am totally clueless and need help:

Please be very specific, how many degrees does it need to be for a toddler to wear:
a) short sleeves, long pants
b) short sleeves, short pants
c) bubble/ bloomers

Thanks for your help

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 7:47 pm
I'll approximate temperatures

Let's say 70 short sleeves, long pants
80 short sleeves and shorts
80+ bubble bloomers

It's about what would be comfortable

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 7:49 pm
For me it’s about what you’re doing and where. Home all day in AC? Likely too cold for sleeveless. In the playground all day in 80 degrees? Sleeveless is fine

mommyhood

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 7:55 pm
I do short sleeves and long pants when it’s a high of around 73 and up.
Shorts not until it’s warm all day, meaning the low is in the 60s versus now when even if we have a hot day it’s still chilly in the morning and evening.
Bubbles pretty much never because we spend so much time indoors and it’s chilly for totally bare arms and legs.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 8:02 pm
I always worry about air conditioning, so I usually dress in cool but long clothes. When they will be mostly indoors.
But if we’re going to be outside a lot then obv not.

lucky14

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 8:29 pm
I wait until it's 80 for short sleeves. I do shorts when it's close to 90.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 2:44 am
60s and up I do short sleeves with a sweatshirt and long pants. She takes off the sweatshirt as soon as it hits 65 generally.
75 and up is short sleeves and shorts
Above 80 is a romper if the kid is young enough (I happen to only do rompers for 1 year olds)

salt

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:07 am
Just out of interest, is this discussion from a fashion point of view, or from a comfort point of view?

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:14 am
salt wrote:
Just out of interest, is this discussion from a fashion point of view, or from a comfort point of view?

From the answers provided, it seems that toddlers are allowed to relate to comfort in dressing and not be slaves to fashion and arbitrary rules.

salt

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:16 am
Elfrida wrote:
From the answers provided, it seems that toddlers are allowed to relate to comfort in dressing and not be slaves to fashion and arbitrary rules.

That's what I was hoping, just that it is in the 'Fashion and Beauty' forum, so it made me wonder what the OP's intention was.

juggling

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:18 am
I thought it was satire, actually.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:46 am
I'll be honest and say almost never. But I don't live in such a warm climate that it really matters. I have accident prone kids and the difference between a graze on bare arm/leg and one covered is quite a bit.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:12 am
Bubbles and bloomers 85+ and only outdoors. Indoors with AC add leggings.
Short sleeves and shorts 75+ But also sunny. Like today it should go up to 73 but it’s so dreary outside. Kids are wearing long sleeves. Sunny day at 70 can be much warmer.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:19 am
How old is the toddler, and what circles are you in? What are your neighbors doing?

If under 3, just use your seichel. Caveat, make sure that you put on a high SPF sunscreen one hour before going outside.

If over 3, in some circles it's long sleeves and tights year round. In other circles, people are not machmir until age 6 or even 9. It all depends.

One of my earliest memories is going to visit my grandparents in Chicago. Even in the hottest, most humid part of summer, I had to wear long sleeves and tights when outdoors. I was only about 5, and didn't understand.

Grammy told me that it was to protect me from mosquitoes, but another time she said something about "what the neighbors will think." She was constantly worried about "the neighbors" and their opinions. My mom wasn't observant, and I didn't have a clue about "tznius". (Complicated and weird mixed messages about Judaism in our family. Lots of ambivalence.)

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:32 am
I do short sleeves with pants when it's going to be in the 70s. Use a zip up sweater/sweatshirt in the morning. Shorts/bare leg skirts when it's at least in the high 60s in the morning. I rarely do sleeveless not for modesty reasons, just because it's rarely comfortable unless it's like 85/90 out and we're not spending time in AC. I also worry about sun protection then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics