Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Store-bought Pie Dough?

mamma llama

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:14 pm
Hi Hi

I've followed recipes for homemade pie crust before, but it's always such a hassle and never as much fun as the recipe writer tries to convince me. Can't Believe It

Is there such a thing as buying pie dough at a Kosher grocery store?

Alternatively, if store-bought pie dough doesn't exist (yet!) and you happen to have an easy-ish pie dough recipe, I'm all ears!

Thank you!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:24 pm
Yes, you can buy frozen pie crusts in normal national grocery stores. I don’t know if there are special ones in kosher groceries, but the first one that popped up on my Amazon primenow app was OU parev yoshon. Disclaimer: I never actually buy crusts so I have no idea how tasty they are.

What are you finding to be the biggest hassle about making pie crust? I use a mini-prep food processor to work the butter in, which is much easier and faster than using a pastry cutter or two knives. Rolling it out isn’t too bad if you’ve chilled the dough beforehand and haven’t added too much water. I like to roll it out on parchment paper, flip the whole thing (paper and all) into a buttered pie pan, then peel the paper off. Here’s my go-to recipe, let me know if you need specific instructions in addition to the amounts:
1.25 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp oil
3-5 Tbsp cold water, added slowly

mamma llama

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:36 pm
Oh wow! Thank you for looking that up and for your recipe Very Happy

The butter was actually my main issue so thanks for the food processor tip too!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 28 2021, 12:48 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Oh wow! Thank you for looking that up and for your recipe Very Happy

The butter was actually my main issue so thanks for the food processor tip too!

Yes! Definitely use a food processor. There are two ways people do that. If you have frozen butter, you can use the coarse grating disk to shred the butter into the flour. If you have butter cold from the fridge, cut it into chunks then pulse with the S-blade (not the dough blade!) a few times to chop it up. I usually put half the butter in at a time.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 3:17 pm
Mamma llama, your post made me want pie! Now I’m baking one for shabbos dessert this week and I blame you 😉

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 4:36 pm
Gefen makes a frozen pie dough. It's a 2 pack and it comes already lined in disposable aluminum pans, with nice marks on the edges of the pie dough.

saralem

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 6:02 pm
I’ve been using frozen pie shells for years. Pastry is not my talent! The frozen ones are delicious and soooo easy.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 7:37 pm
I am nit great with pastry dough but there are relatively foolproof recipes which produce a flaky crust. They have either vodka or cider vinegar as an ingredient which helps prevent formation of gluten. Gluten makes dough tough which is why bread flour has high gluten content since you want gluten to form in a good bread dough. They also use solid shortening for the most part because butter is trickier to work with since you need to keep it as cold as possible or dough is not flakey.

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 29 2021, 9:05 pm
Walmart sells pareve pie shells. They're great. I know I can do it myself, but can't beat convenience. Lol

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am nit great with pastry dough but there are relatively foolproof recipes which produce a flaky crust. They have either vodka or cider vinegar as an ingredient which helps prevent formation of gluten. Gluten makes dough tough which is why bread flour has high gluten content since you want gluten to form in a good bread dough. They also use solid shortening for the most part because butter is trickier to work with since you need to keep it as cold as possible or dough is not flakey.

You do have to be careful with the temperature of the butter (though easier with a food processor because it goes so fast), but butter crusts really do taste better. You just can’t beat that buttery flavor.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:32 pm
challahchallah wrote:
You do have to be careful with the temperature of the butter (though easier with a food processor because it goes so fast), but butter crusts really do taste better. You just can’t beat that buttery flavor.

Absolutely - you have to keep it cold. Puff paste for example, requires refrigerating after each layer.

However, if you just want a flaky crust and you aren't that skillful - I'm not - there are foolproof crusts and they are also pareve. For me the real difficulty is rolling them out - it looks so easy in the videos where they are rolled out and then folded and then unfolded and crimped. LOL

I am similarly bad at rolling out cookies. I even got those things you attached to your rolling pin so that theoretically you can more easily control how think the dough is and it is more even but I think I am hopeless. So I stick to Bundt cakes, drop cookies and bar cookies for the most part.

My mother was great at that kind of "fine" baking. She even made one of those Sacher tortes where you use dental floss to get very thin layers out of each baked layer. Smile

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 1:39 pm
What are you making? Is it kugel/quiche like-Oranoque Farms makes one-it is salty, don’t use it for dessert. And many Heimish brands-Make graham cracker which works well with chocolate or a fruit pie.

I don’t believe I’m making myself extra work. Even if it is supper easy with the food processor, you still have to wash it when you are done-which to me is the worst part!

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:37 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
What are you making? Is it kugel/quiche like-Oranoque Farms makes one-it is salty, don’t use it for dessert. And many Heimish brands-Make graham cracker which works well with chocolate or a fruit pie.

I don’t believe I’m making myself extra work. Even if it is supper easy with the food processor, you still have to wash it when you are done-which to me is the worst part!

My mini-prep is the perfect size for a pie crust. It’s only 3 pieces, and it comes out totally clean in the dishwasher. I’m sure I’d be a lot more hesitant if I didn’t have a dishwasher to do the cleaning for me.

JB

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:41 pm
Aldi’s sells pareve ones with COR

mfhr

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 11:51 pm
There's an Israeli company dough that comes rolled up that really good. Its in a yellow package it comes in a sweet version and a salty version and a puff pastry version I use the sweet one for pies and salty for deli roll best I've ever used
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins