Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to sleep train (and wean) 14 month old

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 2:15 am
She's too big for the typical sleep training ideas. How can I sleep train her? She sleeps from 7-11, then gets up multiple times until 5-6. Multiple.

I also want to wean her- I recently had thrush and not sure if it's still thrush or if it's her mouth full of teeth but I'm itchy and not happy.

Help a very tired mommy please

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:21 am
Can you have your DH go in when she wakes to soothe her? It will be hard the first couple of nights, but if you have someone else handle night wakings, she'll adjust. I did this by setting a time and discussing with DH ahead (ex: I'm not going in to nurse before 4AM), so you should go in if she cries before then, and wait 5/10 minutes before going back if she's crying)--we sleep trained with intervals. Also, if she's nursing to sleep at night, don't have that be the last thing before bed. I usually nurse downstairs and DH carries upstairs and puts to bed so there's a separation.

As far as weaning, I'd start with eliminating the night feedings, then gradually drop the others one at a time.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 3:32 am
I used the No Cry Sleep Solution for a 12 month old successfully. (I didn't wean though.) Got from multiple multiple night wakings to zero.

I had to be consistent about it, so I spent a few nights making that my priority. Main thing I did was nurse for about 1 minute at each waking (or until I saw they were sleepy again), then break suction and pull off. If baby cried, nurse again for a timed 10-15 seconds, then again break suction and pull off. At the beginning I'd sometimes have to do this a lot of times. If baby got hysterical I'd do one minute of nursing and then try again.

I also did this at the beginning of the nighttime sleep period, making sure baby didn't actually fall asleep nursing, just got sleepy nursing.

It was a job, but it did work!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 6:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She's too big for the typical sleep training ideas. How can I sleep train her? She sleeps from 7-11, then gets up multiple times until 5-6. Multiple.

I also want to wean her- I recently had thrush and not sure if it's still thrush or if it's her mouth full of teeth but I'm itchy and not happy.

Help a very tired mommy please

We sleep trained our 14 month old using Dr. Ferbers method. Keep it mind it wasn't until she was diagnosed with silent reflux and it was treated, that she slept through the night. Turns out she was waking up from acid pain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics