Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help, Im always hungry.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:24 am
I realize that of course I am not actually always hungry, but that is how I feel.
I also am an emotional eater and so those two things together make it so hard for me not to just want to pop something into my mouth.
But what of the feeling when I actually am hungry, but I already ate my meal 2 hours ago.
How much is too much eating?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:33 am
1) what do your meals look like currently? Whole grains will keep you full longer than refined, etc

2) are you hydrated? Sometimes signals can get "crossed" and you might be thirsty, not hungry

3) if you're hungry. Don't deprive yourself of food. Just make educated choices about what you choose to eat. Drink a glass of water and choose something like a stick of cheddar cheese, a (measured) cup of popcorn, a serving of unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon, a measured serving of chummus/guac with a measured serving of tortilla chips. I find it helpful to premeasure snacks in the beginning of each week

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:40 am
What people call emotional eating is really neurological eating. So many of our foods are genuinely addictive because they give us a very real neurochemical fix. Just like drugs. There are several complex pathways via which food cravings and addictions happen. Doing a deep dive into the science might help you learn what to avoid. Generally, sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, corn, potatoes, rice are from the most addictive foods. For some people, all sugars and carbs trigger cravings. Personally I was able to cut my food addictions significantly by eliminating gluten and dairy and going low carb and high fat. It wasn’t about losing weight. It was about stopping to fantasize about food all day.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 10:40 am
Are you eating a very low fat diet? That will make your brain starve for food, it needs healthy fats to operate properly.

A handful of raw almonds is one of the best snacks you can get, and you can keep a bag of them in your purse.

If you want to be a bit more decadent, toasted cashews are fabulous. They're my go-to when I need to get my blood sugar stable.

You may have problems with hypoglycemia, and you're eating things that spike your blood sugar and then drop it suddenly. That will make you feel like you need to eat to survive. Stick to high protein and low glycemic index foods in order to feel full and stable all day long.

I found that for me, a modified keto type diet with some low glycemic carbs works best at keeping me from binging on potato chips and ice cream. Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:08 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
1) what do your meals look like currently? Whole grains will keep you full longer than refined, etc

2) are you hydrated? Sometimes signals can get "crossed" and you might be thirsty, not hungry

3) if you're hungry. Don't deprive yourself of food. Just make educated choices about what you choose to eat. Drink a glass of water and choose something like a stick of cheddar cheese, a (measured) cup of popcorn, a serving of unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon, a measured serving of chummus/guac with a measured serving of tortilla chips. I find it helpful to premeasure snacks in the beginning of each week
1. I try to have a protein and vegetables. Sometimes I ave a sandwich if in a rush, cereal as some examples.
2. I drink a lot of water.
3. right, its the snacking that throws me off. how much and how many times I should be snacking.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:09 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
What people call emotional eating is really neurological eating. So many of our foods are genuinely addictive because they give us a very real neurochemical fix. Just like drugs. There are several complex pathways via which food cravings and addictions happen. Doing a deep dive into the science might help you learn what to avoid. Generally, sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, corn, potatoes, rice are from the most addictive foods. For some people, all sugars and carbs trigger cravings. Personally I was able to cut my food addictions significantly by eliminating gluten and dairy and going low carb and high fat. It wasn’t about losing weight. It was about stopping to fantasize about food all day.
Interesting. Ill look int this.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:12 am
I make soup at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge for snacking.
Between meals I eat veggies, sip a cup of soup, crunch on fruit.
I only eat 1 real snack, between lunch and dinner when I'm famished. 100 calorie pack of preztels no fat.
I make sure all veggies are dressed with oil (or else I add 1/4 avocado instead or a few olives instead) to add satiety and so that the nutrition can be absorbed.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:56 am
Everyone's body is different and needs different amounts and types of foods. Yeah, there are "standards" for healthy eating but it varies from day to day and person to person.

I actually went to therapy for this. I was hungry (or so I thought) all the time! Just looking for something to eat, thinking about food, eating endlessly. In therapy I learned about physical and emotional hunger and how to differentiate between the 2. I learned how to manage my emotional hunger with things besides for food. I was also introduced to intuitive eating which was pretty life-changing for me.

fiji

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 9:26 am
I used to have this. I was eating very healthily with whole grains, veggies... But I was hungry literally every two hours. I eventually discovered I'm insulin resistant and the constant spikes in my blood sugar from carbs were making me tired and more hungry. I went off carbs and I've been doing a keto diet for a year. I can now go long stretches without feeling hungry and overall have much more energy!

snowflake1

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 1:33 pm
When I was younger and overweight I had this now my daughter who is overweight is always hungry I wish I knew how to help her
I have told her that sometimes when she think she’s hungry it is really bored so I’ll ask her are you bored or hungry this helps some of the time but a lot of the time she is just looking for food right after she finished eating a meal

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 1:35 pm
When I don't take my multivitamin, I get hungrier. I'm not sure this biologically makes sense, but I think the body might produce the hunger signal when missing just one nutrient.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 1:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you eating a very low fat diet? That will make your brain starve for food, it needs healthy fats to operate properly.

A handful of raw almonds is one of the best snacks you can get, and you can keep a bag of them in your purse.

If you want to be a bit more decadent, toasted cashews are fabulous. They're my go-to when I need to get my blood sugar stable.

You may have problems with hypoglycemia, and you're eating things that spike your blood sugar and then drop it suddenly. That will make you feel like you need to eat to survive. Stick to high protein and low glycemic index foods in order to feel full and stable all day long.

I found that for me, a modified keto type diet with some low glycemic carbs works best at keeping me from binging on potato chips and ice cream. Smile

can you explain more about what is considered a very low fat diet and why it is not good for me?

I can relate to the binging on chips and ice cream. what do you mean by keto type diet and what do you consider low glycemic carbs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise