Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training help please!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 1:08 am
DS just became 2 1/2. He's not stupid and I believe he knows that he has to go to the bathroom. The only problem is that he can sit for a long time and when he's ready to make he'll just try to get off. I know he has to make then and I don't let him get off. I promise him nosh, toys, anything, at least he should stay on and make. He'll start crying and screaming away, and then he'll make. My question to you is: is there any other way I could make him pee besides crying?? Or if you have any other helpful tips or advice I'd really appreciate hearing it.
I know he's ready because he knows exactly what he wants when he wants it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 1:18 am
If he's crying and screaming while on the toilet/potty, then he isn't ready. He's just going through the motions because you're forcing him.

I would stop, put him back into diapers and wait a month or so before trying again.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 1:21 am
Wow, sorry it's so hard for you.

Does he ever complain about peeing? If it hurts or is uncomforable, it may explain why he lets it out when he cries (he's not controlling it anymore), kind of like when babies pooh in thier sleep.

Have you tried the standing method? I know some little boys who would/could only pee standing.

Is the toilet/potty comfortable?

have you tried to go on a sched. rather than when he needs? Like very hour we sit on the toilet for 1 minute (and set a timer so he can see the time passing). then gradually move to only going when we need (with the timer) until he has the patience to do his business properly.

Just FYI, my ds knew what he was doing long before he was really ready to do it in the toilet. We began to get comfortable with the toilet at about 2 1/2 but only really started training after 3 when he was comfortable and ready - and even then we did puillups for a while.

happymom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 9:02 am
many kids arent ready until at least three, and yes some three and a half. I tried with my daughter at twoand a half, she wanst interested, so I waited. when she turned three she wanted to bathroom, and was toilet trained in one day. the more they are pushed to do something they dont want to, or arent ready for, the more they will resist, and it will come a negative battle...

MahPitom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 9:25 am
I find that when they pee AND poo in the bath, they begin showing signs that they are checking ‘where does this really come from”…

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 9:51 am
Try giving him a big round bowl with water in it and toys while he's sitting on the toilet. You can set up a bridge table or something with the bowl on it. When he puts his hands in and swishes around the toys it may help him relax and pee.

If he screams and doesn't want to make in the toilet just let it be. He'll let you know when he's ready. I rarely train before (close to) 3 years old. Then I let the boys pee on the flowers in the garden. They love it.

Just don't turn it in to a power struggle.

You can also give good prizes. Lots of positive reinforcement. But never get mad at him for not wanting to make on the potty/toilet. That gives him the power Twisted Evil

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 1:43 pm
OP HERE:

I tried out the water in a bowl with toys and it works!!! Well, of course until he wants to get off the potty and go to the toilet. The first time I tried it out, he made. The second time I couldn't find the small toilet seat in time and by the time I did find out, he was laughing away because he hosed down my dining room floor!!
Thanks for the idea!

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:11 pm
My pleasure. I'm sorry I only found out about it while toilet training my 4th child!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training