Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Remembering: LAG BAOMER HORROR IN MERON
  Previous  1  2  3 17  18  19  Next

fcy

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 9:11 pm
I opened yeshivaworld tonight and it said 24 of the niftarim were bochurim. It then hit me that sefira is the mourning of 24,000 talmidim(bochurim) of rabbi akiva. Creepy that its both 24.

Blessing1

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 9:31 pm
fcy wrote:
I opened yeshivaworld tonight and it said 24 of the niftarim were bochurim. It then hit me that sefira is the mourning of 24,000 talmidim(bochurim) of rabbi akiva. Creepy that its both 24.

The talmidim if Rabbi Akiva weren't all bachurim. There were fathers and grandfather's as well.

Blessing1

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 9:32 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Did anyone find it eerie that the Ami had a write up in "Tale End" about a tragedy in Meron in 1911 and that the Mishpacha had a feature about not sharing bad news via WhatsApp before the family is notified (exactly what was being said on Thursday right after the tragedy)?

Yes! I was so creeped out!

jerusalem90

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 9:35 pm
blessedflower wrote:
I heard a strong message on emunah. I'll share it as it gave me a lot of chizzuk. I hope it doesn't hurt anyone.

If Reb Shimon allowed in shamayim this to happen on his yurtzeit, in meron, it must be that it was very much l'tova this should happen. We don't understand it and we never will, but what happened is from Hashem and everything from Hashem is good. And Reb Shimon allowed it

Hashem decides something and then it must be approved by Reb Shimon?

realsilver

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 9:58 pm
jerusalem90 wrote:

no, but big tzadikim can be a meilitz yosher and help be mevatel a gezeira.

dveikus

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 9:45 am
fcy wrote:

This is incredible. Thank you or pointing it out. I wonder what it means?

Roots

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 10:51 am
jerusalem90 wrote:

look reb shimon is there in the hilula. my father always says only someone with an invitation from rebbi shimon gets to go. and my father didnt miss lag bamoer in miron in almost 30 years. flying in every year.
there are countless stories I heard from him and others of freaky stories that happen on har meron. I think R' shimon has lots of say in whats going on in his hilula.
the first words I said outloud after hearing the news was 'r shimon, where are you? how can you let this happen on your mountain? on your day?'
but tday the rabbis are saying that its a korban tzibur and these ppl were handpicked by r'shimon and who knows what crazy gezeira was canceled because of this.

Roots

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:00 am
and in other news, im not functioning since friday morning. just robotic motions and listening to the radio all day long. I still cant wrap my head around it.

number

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 11:04 am
dveikus wrote:
This is incredible. Thank you or pointing it out. I wonder what it means?

It means people like to look for meaning and so they create patterns where there aren’t any. Rabi akiva’s students were not all bochurim, as someone posted above.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:04 pm
Roots wrote:
look reb shimon is there in the hilula. my father always says only someone with an invitation from rebbi shimon gets to go. and my father didnt miss lag bamoer in miron in almost 30 years. flying in every year.
there are countless stories I heard from him and others of freaky stories that happen on har meron. I think R' shimon has lots of say in whats going on in his hilula.
the first words I said outloud after hearing the news was 'r shimon, where are you? how can you let this happen on your mountain? on your day?'
but tday the rabbis are saying that its a korban tzibur and these ppl were handpicked by r'shimon and who knows what crazy gezeira was canceled because of this.

Maybe this is comforting for some people. But it doesn't sound normative to me. (I'm open to everything else in the post.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:53 pm
fcy wrote:
But it wasnt Sad
If you mean bochurim as in unmarried, there were 26 or 27.
And Rabbi Akiva's students were not all bochurim.

PurpleandGold

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:15 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Maybe this is comforting for some people. But it doesn't sound normative to me. (I'm open to everything else in the post.)

It is "normative," but a more kabbalistic, or Chassidish, perspective. Many have been arguing over Rashbi's "say" in this tragedy, and I think a lot of this is simply based on everyone 's comfort level with the mesorah they were taught. Did you know, Pink Fridge, that Chassidim count Rashbi as a member of the mesoras halacha chain, while litvish do not include Rashbi as a member in the chain, because litvish do not pasken halacha with any influence from kabbalah? Did you know that the Shulchan Aruch was compiled by Rabbi Yosef Karo, a Sefardi Achron from the Spanish exiles who relied heavily on kabbalistic interpretation of halacha, so the Rama (Rabbi Moshe Isserlis), an Ashkenazi Achron, compiled the Mappa, which is a pirush that points out every way Ashkenazim differ in the paskening of halacha because they don't consider kabbala in halachic decisions. And yet Rashbi and the Rama share the yartzheit of Lag B'omer! "Alu v'alu divrei Elokim Chaim" - what is comfortable to one sect is uncomfortable to the other, but both carry a strong mesorah from Gedolei Yisrael, and both are true.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 2:48 pm
PurpleandGold wrote:
It is "normative," but a more kabbalistic, or Chassidish, perspective. Many have been arguing over Rashbi's "say" in this tragedy, and I think a lot of this is simply based on everyone 's comfort level with the mesorah they were taught. Did you know, Pink Fridge, that Chassidim count Rashbi as a member of the mesoras halacha chain, while litvish do not include Rashbi as a member in the chain, because litvish do not pasken halacha with any influence from kabbalah? Did you know that the Shulchan Aruch was compiled by Rabbi Yosef Karo, a Sefardi Achron from the Spanish exiles who relied heavily on kabbalistic interpretation of halacha, so the Rama (Rabbi Moshe Isserlis), an Ashkenazi Achron, compiled the Mappa, which is a pirush that points out every way Ashkenazim differ in the paskening of halacha because they don't consider kabbala in halachic decisions. And yet Rashbi and the Rama share the yartzheit of Lag B'omer! "Alu v'alu divrei Elokim Chaim" - what is comfortable to one sect is uncomfortable to the other, but both carry a strong mesorah from Gedolei Yisrael, and both are true.

Very interesting!
As I said, Rashbi has a very important part in mesorah. As the baal Toras hanistar, and as one of Rabbi Akiva's five talmidim who transmitted the Torah onward.

PurpleandGold

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 3:45 pm

Last edited by PurpleandGold on Sun, May 02 2021, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PurpleandGold

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 4:08 pm

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 4:20 am
To all those saying in threads the police or a barrier caused this and it wouldn't of happened otherwise....

See this video from two years ago. It's a miracle this didn't happen before.

yc

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 11:58 pm
why would you post this on a thread for tehilim?
totally out of place imho.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 10:10 pm
Lest we forget….

ETA. Now I’m afraid, people with think something new happened, and I don’t want anyone scared…..how do I correct that?

sarah14

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 10:22 pm
Yes you really got my heart racing a bit!

abound

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 10:25 pm
Bumping this up was not ok, im reporting my post so that this can be removed.
Page 18 of 19   Previous  1  2  3 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics