Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Kiddush during the week?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:44 am
Can I make a kiddush for my new baby girl during the week? I know ppl do Simchat bat or brita but is it actually halachically considered a kiddush? Does anyone know?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:55 am
Ask your rav.
The point is to collect brachot for your new daughter that will stay with her for life.
One of my daughters didn’t have a kiddush but when my husband named her he gave out cake and schnapps in shul.

salt

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:19 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Ask your rav.
The point is to collect brachot for your new daughter that will stay with her for life.
One of my daughters didn’t have a kiddush but when my husband named her he gave out cake and schnapps in shul.

I agree, the idea is to give thanks and give brachot and good wishes. You can do it during the week, but you can't really call it a kiddush Smile it's just "light refreshments in honor of our new daughter".

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:00 am
There are no halachos regarding the celebration of the birth of a girl.

Shabbos is a convenient time because people aren't going to work. In that situation one can have a light mezonot meal after making kiddush. This can be either sponsored or arranged in honor of the new baby girl.

If one has a lot of friends or family who live at a distance, an event during the week is more practical. You might want to serve a slightly more substantial meal, since one winter be going home for a Shabbos meal.

In either situation the parents have an opportunity to speak about the baby and why they chose her name, if they want to. Guests can say Mazal Tov, admire the baby and give Brachos if they want to. During the week they may take this chance of giving baby presents. In either situation the mother make take advantage if the presence of a minyan to bensch gomel.

Do whichever works best for you and your family. Or both, if you prefer.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:19 am
Just to clarify halachically. Kiddush is a mitzva on Shabbos and Yom Tov when we 'sanctify the day's over wine. The wine is essential, but not enough, and you have to have some kind of meal with it. At home kiddush is accompanied by the Shabbos or Yom Tov seudah.

A lot of shuls like to have a kiddush in the shul, either every week or at regular intervals, to give some kind of community social life. Since people are not eating a Shabbos seudah in shul, they provide a light meal consisting of mezonot as a minimum, and often salads and fish or maybe parev chulent as well. It has become customary for people to sponsor this in honor of various celebrations.

There is no intrinsic connection between the kiddush and the celebration, be it Bar Mitzvah, engagement, yahrzeit or the birth of a baby girl. It is a convenient occasion to celebrate with the community. If someone wants to mark the event in another way, there is no reason why not.

There is no concept of kiddush during the week, because there is no cause to sanctify the day during the week. Any celebration during the week, would not have this element. It might be nice to have, but it isn't essential.

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:22 am
There is no halacha that you davka have to have a kiddush for a baby girl. It is a good minhag to have a seuda to give thanks to Hashem for giving you a baby girl. It doesn't have to be on Shabbat, but it's usually more convenient.

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:24 am
Elfrida wrote:
There are no halachos regarding the celebration of the birth of a girl.

Shabbos is a convenient time because people aren't going to work. In that situation one can have a light mezonot meal after making kiddush. This can be either sponsored or arranged in honor of the new baby girl.

If one has a lot of friends or family who live at a distance, an event during the week is more practical. You might want to serve a slightly more substantial meal, since one winter be going home for a Shabbos meal.

In either situation the parents have an opportunity to speak about the baby and why they chose her name, if they want to. Guests can say Mazal Tov, admire the baby and give Brachos if they want to. During the week they may take this chance of giving baby presents. In either situation the mother make take advantage if the presence of a minyan to bensch gomel.

Do whichever works best for you and your family. Or both, if you prefer.

I don't think she means actually saying kiddush - just hosting people for a light meal in honor of the birth.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I make a kiddush for my new baby girl during the week? I know ppl do Simchat bat or brita but is it actually halachically considered a kiddush? Does anyone know?
There is no halacha to make a kiddush. If you want to make a celebration for your new child, do just that. There is nothing specific about a kiddush. It can be any type of celebration.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:56 am
Thanks everyone.
Ya I meant just celebrate during the week instead of shabbos but don’t need to call it kiddush. I know there’s no halachic obligation per se but I’ve heard it’s a big thing to do one so if it’s so important I want to make sure I actually do it right...

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:59 am
In this case there's no right and wrong. (That's probably a unique occurrence in orthodox Judaism!)

In some communities it's a big thing, and others shrug their shoulders at it. Its become more of a thing in the past twenty years or so.

essie14

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Ya I meant just celebrate during the week instead of shabbos but don’t need to call it kiddush. I know there’s no halachic obligation per se but I’ve heard it’s a big thing to do one so if it’s so important I want to make sure I actually do it right...

There's no right or wrong.
You can make a celebration at any time.

miami85

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:05 am
I know it was called a "kibbud" at one point, my brother did it in his well known yeshiva for his daughter.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:36 am
Call it a Simcha Hodaah

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:38 am
We never made a kiddush. For some of my girls, we had a tikkun in shul.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:42 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Just to clarify halachically. Kiddush is a mitzva on Shabbos and Yom Tov when we 'sanctify the day's over wine. The wine is essential, but not enough, and you have to have some kind of meal with it. At home kiddush is accompanied by the Shabbos or Yom Tov seudah.

A lot of shuls like to have a kiddush in the shul, either every week or at regular intervals, to give some kind of community social life. Since people are not eating a Shabbos seudah in shul, they provide a light meal consisting of mezonot as a minimum, and often salads and fish or maybe parev chulent as well. It has become customary for people to sponsor this in honor of various celebrations.

There is no intrinsic connection between the kiddush and the celebration, be it Bar Mitzvah, engagement, yahrzeit or the birth of a baby girl. It is a convenient occasion to celebrate with the community. If someone wants to mark the event in another way, there is no reason why not.

There is no concept of kiddush during the week, because there is no cause to sanctify the day during the week. Any celebration during the week, would not have this element. It might be nice to have, but it isn't essential.

Excellent post. You are very eloquent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics