Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you keep your kids up for the friday night seuda?
1  2  Next

Do you keep your kids up for the friday night seuda?
All kids all year round no matter what time shabbos is  
 49%  [ 33 ]
No never (maybe I only have little kids?)  
 11%  [ 8 ]
Just my older kids all year round no matter what time is (what age?)  
 10%  [ 7 ]
Just the earlier winter shabbosim and the weeks we make early shabbos  
 28%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 67

busy mommy

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:38 am
see poll

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:42 am
Whoever stays up
Except for me no one else gets woken up

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:46 am
If they fall asleep I don't wake them. But they know there's no official bedtime on shabbat. They shower and get into special PJs on Fridays and they either make it to the seudah or not. But usually they make it to kiddush and first course then run off the play. We go to bed whenever we want. A lot of times my husband and I will go to bed before them and they'll crawl into our bed when they're ready. I do this with even my preschoolers.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:00 am
There’s nowhere in the poll to include early shabbos

We make early and they stay up. It’s still late but nowhere near as late

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:09 am
My boys are up year-round, they are 10, 6, 5. I used to have the younger ones go to bed and only the older one up but now the younger boys are old enough that they realize they are being left out. They seem to manage the late night fine and are ok the next day. I wouldn't keep my baby or toddler up.

silverlining3

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:14 am
Lower elementary kids.
I don't force them to stay up nor go to sleep. They choose to stay up at first and then go to sleep whenever they feel tired. Toddler usually naps on Friday and goes along with this schedule. All year round.

gingleale

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:23 am
I am all about regular bedtimes. So depending on the time of year they are up or not. In the summer we usually make shabbos early so they are up for kiddush and then go right to bed. My older ones of course are up.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:29 am
Well, yes because they are teens. My youngest is 8 and there’s no way he’ll go to sleep if everyone else is up.
I do miss the days they were in bed at 7 and we had a quiet meal...

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
There’s nowhere in the poll to include early shabbos

We make early and they stay up. It’s still late but nowhere near as late

same but I forgot we make early Shabbos so I picked that all kids stay up

tweety1

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:35 am
I keep them up. They each go to sleep when they want.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:43 am
My oldest is 4, I told him after pesach there's no night seuda.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:58 am
They eat before candle lighting. They are normally still up for kiddush, then after hamotzi the younger ones get put into pyjamas. They aren't hungry by then, so they can either join in the seuda or play. When they are fading I'll either put them in bed or let them fall asleep on the couch and we'll move them into bed later.

ima22

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:14 am
I stop active parenting/disciplining Friday night. So little ones who still need that go to bed around their usual bedtime (up to age 4/5). After that kids are welcome to stay up and participate as late as they want as long as they are behaving well.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:15 am
My kids don’t get tired everrrr. So they’re up way past the meal on the late Friday nights.

keym

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

I understand putting them to bed.
I do it myself.

But can I ask, why in the world would you like to your kids? Like plain outright lie?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

I wouldn’t lie to him. What if he sees table set and hears shalom aleichem? I say we eat very late and feed him before shabbos I even give him grape juice in a little becher and he makes an hagefen so he doesn’t feel like he’s missing out. My son is 4 too. My 6 year old goes into bed after challah.

hodeez

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:19 am
They nap until candle lighting and then come out for the meal. If baby and 2 year old sleep through it it's not the worst thing Smile

simba

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:19 am
I keep regular bed times through the weekend.
So depends on shabbos times and kids ages.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:20 am
I never officially put my kids to sleep for the meal. I only put them to bed if they're cranky and tired. But if they're behaving, they stay up. Why not? I want them to experience shabbos. If they fall asleep, I don't wake them.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:24 am
We're very big into family meals. We all eat dinner together every night and that includes Friday nights as well. We try to make Shabbos at plag once it starts getting late so that the meal isn't too late. My kids are pretty flexible about bedtime in general though, and if they stay up very late they tend to sleep late too so I can sleep in Shabbos morning.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note