Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Romaine left in the car - ok to use?

bargainlover

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:36 am
Was probably 50 degrees or so last night, it’s a bag of chopped romaine.

precious

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:55 am
I'm no expert, but romaine is something that you can look at to see what condition it's in. I assume it's fine now but will probably won't last as long as it would have.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 12:33 pm
Vegetables don't go "silently" bad the way that meat might. A vegetable that is past its time to use will show it by being wilted and brown or maybe slimy.

I would use it quickly - assuming that it is still in good enough condition so that it would taste okay. A salad made with wilted or soggy greens isn't very palatable even if it is safe.

cbsp

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 12:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
Vegetables don't go "silently" bad the way that meat might. A vegetable that is past its time to use will show it by being wilted and brown or maybe slimy.

I would use it quickly - assuming that it is still in good enough condition so that it would taste okay. A salad made with wilted or soggy greens isn't very palatable even if it is safe.

Well, actually, if there's an E Coli problem it's not detectable

From here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/hea.....58034

How can I tell if a food is contaminated with E. coli?
Answer From Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Unfortunately you can't tell whether a food is contaminated with Escherichia coli (E. coli) by the way it looks, smells or tastes. Although most types of E. coli bacteria are harmless, certain strains can cause serious foodborne illness.

(and then it lists preventative measures, one of which is to refrigerate perishables immediately)

Having said that, if your car was already cool and it was 50s overnight and it looks ok I'd eat it.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 12:52 pm
cbsp wrote:
Well, actually, if there's an E Coli problem it's not detectable

From here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/hea.....58034

How can I tell if a food is contaminated with E. coli?
Answer From Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Unfortunately you can't tell whether a food is contaminated with Escherichia coli (E. coli) by the way it looks, smells or tastes. Although most types of E. coli bacteria are harmless, certain strains can cause serious foodborne illness.

(and then it lists preventative measures, one of which is to refrigerate perishables immediately)

Having said that, if your car was already cool and it was 50s overnight and it looks ok I'd eat it.

Presumably she would wash it as all vegetables should be washed. I was basing my opinion on whether merely leaving lettuce unrefrigerated means one should throw it out automatically - meats, fish, chicken, eggs, prepared salads - all are dangerous if not refrigerated. Vegetables and fruits are not typically refrigerated for safety so much as to prolong their shelf live - after all they grow in the fields unrefrigerated and aren't kept refrigerated at farmers markets either.

bargainlover

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 1:48 pm
It’s already washed and cut up....bagged salad

Amarante

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:23 pm
bargainlover wrote:
It’s already washed and cut up....bagged salad

If it is safe enough to eat if you don't wash it, presumably it has been checked and safeguards taken for e-coli contamination.

Wilted lettuce doesn't represent a danger if left out especially at temperatures OP stated. It is not meat or other stuff that requires very different handling in terms of food poisoning dangers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics