Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADD moms with difficult kid/s

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 1:14 am
I personally need help with this. I myself have major sensory issues so when my young child is having a tantrum, screaming, hitting, etc. I have a very hard time focusing on the relationship because I myself feel like I am going to explode. Thankfully I have a very helpful patient dh who helps to completely take over the situation when I can’t handle it. But when he is not available, I want to handle the situation without yelling or going into panic mode. I desperately need help in this area of chinuch.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 4:15 am
I know people joke about every person on imamother being told to get a therapist, but I personally found it absolutely essential to get support *for myself* in this way.

My therapist isn’t specifically a chinuch mentor, but she helps me work on centering techniques for when I get overwhelmed, cut through the noise of all the “should”s to focus on my internal values and priorities as a parent (in my case, safety and connection), and point out when I’ve made progress even if I haven’t noticed it.

This has helped me be a more mindful and intentional parent, even if my difficult kids are still very difficult.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:19 pm
I’m still struggling with this...any other moms with ADD (basically ADHD inattentive/not hyperactive) who have kids with ADHD(Hyperactive)? This must be common because most females are more likely to be ADD and males ADHD

nte

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:22 pm
Earplugs can be helpful sometimes!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:37 am
I have two kids with ADHD and I also have issues with handling the tantrums and noise. Therapy for myself has been really wonderful in helping me handle this better.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m still struggling with this...any other moms with ADD (basically ADHD inattentive/not hyperactive) who have kids with ADHD(Hyperactive)? This must be common because most females are more likely to be ADD and males ADHD

Yes, me. I am on a waiting list for my son to be evaluated by a top adhd center, in about 6 months. They offer family support as well as support for the child. I'm hoping to get therapy to help me handle the fear and anxiety I always feel when parenting him, because it definitely doesn't bring out my best parenting techniques.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)