Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Planning next year - what would you do?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:00 pm
I'm nervous about next year - I have so many unknowns in my future!

I'm currently working from home 9-6 because of corona. My office has started bringing people back, not my department yet but we know it is coming, though I think I could push it off until November or so because I am having a baby in the fall and will then have maternity leave.

I have 1 kid in school this year (bused home), another going next year (we live too close for bus), a third playgroup age next year registered in a place that is far sort of by default because we sent there in the past and had expected to move near there.

If my office insists I come back full time, I don't know how I will function. I used to come home at 7PM, with my husband picking up all the kids from our old childcare place at 6. How am I finding someone who can pick up my daughter from her bus, walk to get my second child from school, get my third from childcare, and um, what about the baby???? I can't afford to pay $15 an hour for a private babysitter full day, and who else would do it? If I bus my kids all to the childcare and have someone there babysit them it will be for 4 days, with the kids getting home at 7 - just not ok with me anymore, they need to be home earlier. And the schools won't do different addresses for diff days of the week even if I could get my office to let me work at home a couple of days.

Not to mention we really need to move but can't find anything... so depending where we are, I may have no daycare for my toddler, unless I leave her at the far away place full day (expensive and annoying). Should I look for someone local to where we are now? Is there a point when I don't know where we are going to be? I can't try negotiating with my office now because if they say too bad, come back full time, I can't start looking for a job while I am expecting, don't know where I will be living, etc. Not to mention who knows how long it could take to find an ok job that lets me work mostly remotely.

What should I tackle first??? Do I just wait until I go on maternity leave and push everything else off? If I need to find a new playgroup and a babysitter it will be hard last minute. I live in Brooklyn BTW.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:03 pm
You’re having a baby in the fall? So you’ll be out of work till when, January? Honestly I’d worry about it much closer to that time. The world is still changing way too quickly IMO

sigree

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:06 pm
Are you me? I work at least 9-6 and if I have to go back to the city, I don’t know how I’ll hack it. My baby is in daycare until five and as it is I fall into bed exhausted every night. Also don’t have a cleaning lady at the moment. Literally waiting for my company to give us more info re in-person expectations so we can move out of our one bedroom. And I’m in Brooklyn too so I have nothing smart to say except I feel you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
You’re having a baby in the fall? So you’ll be out of work till when, January? Honestly I’d worry about it much closer to that time. The world is still changing way too quickly IMO

Baby will probably be born just before Rosh Hashana. So I would go back to work in November. I usually take 8 weeks. Yes I could take longer but now NY lets you take maternity leave later so I would rather save some for later.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:08 pm
sigree wrote:
Are you me? I work at least 9-6 and if I have to go back to the city, I don’t know how I’ll hack it. My baby is in daycare until five and as it is I fall into bed exhausted every night. Also don’t have a cleaning lady at the moment. Literally waiting for my company to give us more info re in-person expectations so we can move out of our one bedroom. And I’m in Brooklyn too so I have nothing smart to say except I feel you.

Thanks for the empathy. My hormones are making me cry. Crying
Don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this now, prob because a corwoker said he had to go back today and it's becoming more real.

How will the info help you move out?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:11 pm
Me tooo!!!!

O.M.G.

But I don't work 9-6. My hours are shorter.

BUT:
I still can't get it together. I have no help with pickup/drop-off, its all on me,, also going on maternity leave beginning of school year, also live in Brooklyn and work in the city, and currently still working from home due to covid.
My dilemma of childcare next year is really stressing me out, because again, its all on me to figure out.

Eta: I can't imagine dropping off at daycare and school and being home in time for school while picking up baby from daycare and working and commuting in between and and and.

Also did I mention school doesn't have extended hours?

sigree

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the empathy. My hormones are making me cry. Crying
Don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this now, prob because a corwoker said he had to go back today and it's becoming more real.

How will the info help you move out?

I live not too far from the train now and right near my daughters daycare. If remote I would have to stay near the train but would probably need extended hour daycare so I would have to find someone else. How are we supposed to do it all ?!?!?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:21 pm
So clearly since I am not the only one (are we neighbors?) We need to find a nice lady who doesn't want to work in the city, with a car, who will take the daycare age kids to school, watch the babies by day, drive around picking kids up, and watch them until we get home....

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:22 pm
sigree wrote:
I live not too far from the train now and right near my daughters daycare. If remote I would have to stay near the train but would probably need extended hour daycare so I would have to find someone else. How are we supposed to do it all ?!?!?

Why would you need extended hours if your remote?
Unless you meant If not remote..

I also live next to the train and have to find someone near the train, too!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:24 pm
Ok people are we talking the f or the q??? I'm near the f sending my son to the cheder next year... Think they would let me do drop off at 830?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So clearly since I am not the only one (are we neighbors?) We need to find a nice lady who doesn't want to work in the city, with a car, who will take the daycare age kids to school, watch the babies by day, drive around picking kids up, and watch them until we get home....

I don't think we're neighbors because I legit can't find ANYONE to commiserate with 😔
Add the pregnancy hormones and fuhgettaboutit.

But I am really considering doing that.
I even thought maybe I can find someone who will watch another baby for some of the hours as well..

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:26 pm
Can you put the toddler and baby in the same daycare? Does the school have aftercare? Not sure how it works by you but that's what I'd do here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:31 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Can you put the toddler and baby in the same daycare? Does the school have aftercare? Not sure how it works by you but that's what I'd do here.

The daycare I have right now is for 2 year olds and has no room for babies. I would look for such a thing but I used to work from home a couple of days a week and so I would need an hourly babysitter so I could be home with my baby those days. Of course my office may take this opportunity to make me come back every day in which case no idea how I would function at all.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:06 pm
Yes cheder will most likely let u drop off 830 there is a morah there at that time
Good luck I know it's complicated when you have many small children

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:24 pm
You can't really plan and control what will be.
If you feel you need to do SOMETHING then concentrate on trying to get your toddler into a playgroup closer to home. That will likely be one of the bigger challenges.
The rest take as it comes. If you need to get a babysitter in your house at least all your kids will be close to home so the babysitter can do the pickups.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 3:42 pm
Similar situation. My work is telling us that we will come back in the fall but on a hybrid schedule. Maybe you can ask to come in only 1-3 days. I think 2 is doable for me. I can point to the fact that I was more productive at home this past year and a half. I think that workplace dynamics (unless you are in a very small place) are going to start to change.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok people are we talking the f or the q??? I'm near the f sending my son to the cheder next year... Think they would let me do drop off at 830?

I'm near the f

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:13 pm
I'm wondering if you work at 440 9th ave ? Dh has same office hours and his dept went back last week . And other depts are slowly coming back .
Either way have an easy pregnancy and iyh everything should work out for the best !

devorah1231

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:07 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'm near the f

Can you PM me?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 6:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is your son going to be in nursery or kindergarten? If in kindergarten if he's in the upk class afaik he can be dropped off at 8:30 (I think it's bec they have a specific amount of hours they need a day so they start a little earlier. Most kids aren't there then , but the teacher is) my son was in that class and I dropped him off 8:30. A few times the teacher was there a few minutes late, but on the whole she was pretty on time. it's quite possible the school will let you drop of your son 8:30 even if he's in the other kindergarten or nursery and just leave him in that class till his teacher comes but I have no idea, you'd have to ask....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics