Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How is renting an apartment in Israel different from US?
Previous  1  2  3

Teomima

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:51 am
Shuly wrote:
It was a real shock to learn that besides for furniture, we had to buy a refrigerator, oven and washing machine!

We didn't have a dryer for many year but finally bought one when we had little kids. I can't say I miss wearing hard socks and underwear.

My experience was the opposite. To me it makes so much more sense to own my own appliances, just like I own my own furniture, and take that with me when I move.

I moved back to the States for a few years in my twenties and it felt so gross to use the same appliances countless other strangers had used.

Regarding a dryer, we didn't have one till we had kids and now it's how we dry 95% of our laundry. They're reasonably affordable (and surprisingly easy to repair yourself) that once you have a few kids, depending on line drying can be too much. Especially in the winter, when you have to dry indoors in a small Israeli apartment with little kids getting underfoot

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:22 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Agree. Socio economic factor IMHO. Driers are cheaper than 30 yrs ago. And Israeli's want to be "mitkadem" every 2nd ad for something is "tikne, titkadem"

Israelis are very practical. You can buy a dryer for 1000-2000 nis. It costs a couple of shekels to operate every time. Whereas hanging up laundry, especially if you have little kid clothes, takes tons of time. And in the winter can be a huge headache.

Most younger Israelis I know (under age 50) don't hang laundry. That said, I live in an area with mainly secular and DL Israelis - it may be different in charedi communities.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 11:30 am
This is so interesting. When I lived in Israel I lived in 3 different rentals. All 3 included all appliances - fridge freezer, oven/cooker, washing machine, 1 of them also had dryer, dishwasher and microwave.
All 3 included dining table and chairs, bookshelves and 1 couch, and fully furnished master bedroom. We added our own kitchen table and chairs, armchair, and furniture for other bedrooms.
And all 3 bathrooms and proper sink units with draws and mirror etc.

leaf

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 1:36 pm
Apartments are either advertised as coming furnished (מרוהטת) or not coming furnished.... hence the difference in ppl's experiences...

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 4:26 pm
I was aware that dryers are generally not a thing and clotheslines for drying is popular and that some appliances were not included in Israeli apartments. Didn't know usually none of the appliances are included.

Its funny to think that potentially we would have to take all our major appliances and closets if we move to a new rental. Basically, everything but the walls.

Seems like there would be a niche for "American style" rentals.

We were once considering a rental in the US years ago and my DH and I were aghast that none of the appliances were included and we would be charged extra to use what was there (which was only a partial furnishing of appliances). Turns out the owner was Israeli.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Its funny to think that potentially we would have to take all our major appliances and closets if we move to a new rental. Basically, everything but the walls.

It's hard to change a whole culture. And landlords don't want to spend money on appliances to have them broken. People don't take such care if it when its not their own.

In frum areas yould potentially run into all kinds of questions about the kashrut of ovens, dishwashers etc.

Having said that, there are furnished apartments available for rent. Yechidot are normally furnished, and sometimes,larger places. You have to specifically look for furnished apartments though, and of course they cost more. They're often only available for short term leases.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:46 am
I'm speaking from a Ramat Eshkol perspective where many couples come for a year or two so I'm not sure if its like this everywhere.

Many apartments here are officially unfurnished, but come with a furniture package that you are required to buy from the people that lived there before you. So you pay rent to your landlords every month and a one time (large) fee at the beginning to the people who lived there before you for the furniture (appliances, beds, and everything in between) and then you own it and will sell it on to the people who come after you for 10% less then what you bought it for.

Some people even sell on their kitchen packages, which include dishes, cutlery, and smaller appliances.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was aware that dryers are generally not a thing and clotheslines for drying is popular and that some appliances were not included in Israeli apartments. Didn't know usually none of the appliances are included.

We were once considering a rental in the US years ago and my DH and I were aghast that none of the appliances were included and we would be charged extra to use what was there (which was only a partial furnishing of appliances). Turns out the owner was Israeli.
Just something to think about, in terms of bringing your furniture. American furniture is much bigger than israeli furniture and it is very likely that the furniture will not fit into an israeli size apartment/home.
It would be wise, if you do find an apartment before you come, to measure things, to be sure it all fits where it needs to be.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:51 am
Elfrida wrote:
You wouldn't necessarily see a clothes line on someone's mirpesset unless you were actually visiting the house.

Most people I know hang laundry at least some of the time. Especially in the summer I like hanging it out in the evening and then taking it in dew fresh and soft before I go to work (and before the sun starts to fade it) the next morning.

When it's >100°F and a little breezy, laundry is fun. You can hang clothes outside and advance the clothesline along the pulley as you fill it up, and as soon as the line is full you can start collecting the first clothes you hung because they are already dry.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:59 am
DrMom wrote:
When it's >100°F and a little breezy, laundry is fun. You can hang clothes outside and advance the clothesline along the pulley as you fill it up, and as soon as the line is full you can start collecting the first clothes you hung because they are already dry.

This is EXACTLY what I say about chamsin days! Every cloud has a silver lining Smile

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:41 am
amother [ Amber] wrote:

Many apartments here are officially unfurnished, but come with a furniture package that you are required to buy from the people that lived there before you. So you pay rent to your landlords every month and a one time (large) fee at the beginning to the people who lived there before you for the furniture (appliances, beds, and everything in between) and then you own it and will sell it on to the people who come after you for 10% less then what you bought it for.

They tried to stamp out that practice a while ago. It often ends up with people being forced to waste money on stuff they don't want and don't need, and sometimes it isn't even in usable condition.

In other places people hold a moving sale, and people can choose what they want to buy.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions