Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I'm not enjoying this food
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:36 pm
I'm trying really hard to be off carbs but I don't like any approved foods.
How much chicken meat eggs fish and fat can I eat? I like these things in small amounts but I'm sick of these options. Food used to be enjoyable and now it's just gross.
It's all just too heavy. I need like a bland taste. Or a crunch.
I don't know how much longer I can eat like this. It's been 3 weeks and it's not getting better it's getting worse.

Any tips?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:37 pm
Vegetables?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:42 pm
Broil zucchini & carrots slices (though limit the carrots) for a little crunch.

Eat more salads.

I was trying to be very severe but I saw a nutritionist who gave me 15 carbs for breakfast, 15-20 for lunch & a snack, 30 for dinner. I check my sugar after most meals & if I combine with a fat (nuts, oil, eggs, etc) I can usually keep the sugar pretty low. Also I don't get so much hunger & BH lost pretty nicely (which is not my main reason).

So depending on why you're limiting carbs, you may be able to have some.

Have you seen a nutritionist or you're doing this on your own?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm trying really hard to be off carbs but I don't like any approved foods.
How much chicken meat eggs fish and fat can I eat? I like these things in small amounts but I'm sick of these options. Food used to be enjoyable and now it's just gross.
It's all just too heavy. I need like a bland taste. Or a crunch.
I don't know how much longer I can eat like this. It's been 3 weeks and it's not getting better it's getting worse.

Any tips?

You can make cookies with almond flour and sugar substitute and eat 1 cookie as a crunchy sweet snack.
Crunchy salty snacks could be nuts , a sour pickle, celery sticks and even peppers.

When you say the food is too heavy, describe a meal and maybe we can provide suggestions .

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:25 pm
If you don't mind DE, Simple Mills almond crackers are good. Their pita chips (slightly more carbs) are GREAT! I usually eat 2/3 of a serving though : )

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:34 pm
I'm doing this for weightloss.

I am eating vegetables and salads. It's just so unappetizing. Tastes are too potent. I'm struggling to describe what I dislike. Is almond flour ok? If I don't want carbs/sugar how might I use it?

I typically eat eggs or greek yogurt for breakfast both of which I'm sick of and make me gag a bit.

Lunch is salad w protein inside orr fish and veggies or cheese and veggies or chicken and veggies

Snacks are nuts or cheese

Supper is chicken, meat, or fish, and more veggies.

I want to like my food, I don't mind vegetables and salads but the protein and fat is making me feel gross.

I just want rice cakes or toast or crackers or cereal.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:02 pm
Base Culture Keto bread. (Might also be DE. Look around for keto friendly bread.)

I rub a clove of garlic on frozen bread & put in toaster, then mash avocado on top. Or cover with small broccoli florets & muenster cheese & bake til bubbly.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:08 pm
Are you allowed to have yams? sweet potato? potato?

lucky14

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:10 pm
If you are doing this for weight loss I honestly suggest you rethink if this is how you want to go about it. Especially if you are craving them that badly. You want a diet that you will be able to keep doing- forever preferably. Otherwise it is VERY risky once you start adding foods back. Very often it's a big set up for a binge. It's about limiting calories not specific food groups. It's all about the calories. You should be able to have a crunch here and there. A little treat each day (I have a PORTIONED OUT serving of ice cream as my nightly snack almost every day). See a registered nutritionist who can work up a plan for you if you have the money to do so. Otherwise try to figure out how many calories a day you need and you can calorie count using an app. Or just do moderation in portion size. But seriously I don't suggest cutting out food groups.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:43 pm
lucky14 wrote:
If you are doing this for weight loss I honestly suggest you rethink if this is how you want to go about it. Especially if you are craving them that badly. You want a diet that you will be able to keep doing- forever preferably. Otherwise it is VERY risky once you start adding foods back. Very often it's a big set up for a binge. It's about limiting calories not specific food groups. It's all about the calories. You should be able to have a crunch here and there. A little treat each day (I have a PORTIONED OUT serving of ice cream as my nightly snack almost every day). See a registered nutritionist who can work up a plan for you if you have the money to do so. Otherwise try to figure out how many calories a day you need and you can calorie count using an app. Or just do moderation in portion size. But seriously I don't suggest cutting out food groups.

I decided to try this because I was having so many sugar cravings (and binges) on my regular nutritionist calorie counting diet. And everyone was telling me it's because carbs trigger cravings. Does it ever go away this craving for carbs?

lucky14

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I decided to try this because I was having so many sugar cravings (and binges) on my regular nutritionist calorie counting diet. And everyone was telling me it's because carbs trigger cravings. Does it ever go away this craving for carbs?

No idea I'm not the person to ask. All I know is when I tried to cut out whole food groups I ended up binging on those things. I didn't start eating normal until I allowed those things back into my diet in moderation. I still don't eat certain things but it's not like whole food groups. But certain trigger foods I stay away from- I'll usually eat a healthier version of them instead so I don't feel totally deprived.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:15 pm
Make it interesting. Use cubes of dark chicken cutlets to make shwarma spiced kebabs. Steam cauliflower and make faux potato salad.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you have sweetener? Other sweet things? Because if yes, the answer is no.

Totally aside from that, has anything good happened since you changed your eating?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 11:21 pm
Just a good breakfast idea I totally relate to being sick of eggs or plain yogurt.
Peaches are the best fruit nutrient wise (very low carb and sugar)
I blend some frozen peaches that I bought already frozen in a bag, some water (to help it blend) and plain yogurt. It’s delicious!!! Sweet and filling.

And if you add frozen bananas it makes “nicecream” which is the consistency of ice cream and super duper yummy. Totally helps the cravings

Also not sure what specific diet you are on but my doc who actually made a study of this from a prestigious hospital. Eating carbs towards the end of the day let’s say in the evening has a much less effect when you eat them right away in the morning. So maybe eating them for dinner or late afternoon snack can be helpful? I found that really worked and didn’t effect the weight loss or cause me to gain more.

I’m happy to suggest more food choices if you’d like! I’ve been thru this journey ... Just lmk Smile

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am eating vegetables and salads. It's just so unappetizing. Tastes are too potent. I'm struggling to describe what I dislike. Is almond flour ok? If I don't want carbs/sugar how might I use it?

I typically eat eggs or greek yogurt for breakfast both of which I'm sick of and make me gag a bit.

Lunch is salad w protein inside orr fish and veggies or cheese and veggies or chicken and veggies

I want to like my food, I don't mind vegetables and salads but the protein and fat is making me feel gross.

What are the parameters of this diet? Other than trying to eat low carb? Do you have a specific carb goal? Do you have a certain amount of protein or fat you must eat? Just trying to get an idea of the rules before making suggestions. I wonder if a protein shakes might be an option if you are sick of eating all the protein. There are definitely low carb healthy protein powders on the market.

fiji

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:47 am
Get either flax or almond bread And toast it.
Google or YouTube the things that you do want to eat. There is a keto/low carb substitute for most things.

champion

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:31 am
Who said you cannot eat carbs?
Your binges are more likely coming from a lifestyle of restriction, food demonization, guilt surrounding certain foods and good old plain hunger.
Enjoying your food and eating carbs are part of the makeup of this world.

champion

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This menu is so basic it won't last you long.
How about legumes(peas, lentils, corn, chickpeas and chumus)? fruit? berries? a natural sweetener (maple syrup, silan, coconut sugar, Rappadura)??
What kind of fats are you using? Is there any tehini, avocado or nut butters in your diet?
How about fun food? Do you have any of that?
How about shabbos? Are you enjoying your seudos? What are you eating

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:59 am
In my experience as a vegetarian, a lot of people are quick to dismiss vegetables because they don't really know how to cook them. They eat salads or roast frozen mixes and then it's no wonder they think they don't like them.

The best thing to do is start with nice, fresh veggies. Go for a variety and don't be afraid to try something you aren't familiar with or try new techniques.

Offhand, I can tell you what I have in my fridge right now and what I intend to do with it:

I have two bunches of fresh swiss chard that I'm going to chop. I'm going to sautee some onions and lightly sautee the chard too then mix it all with some eggs and salty cheeses to bake into a crustless quiche. Freezes well, too.

I have some kohlrabi, carrots, and cabbage, which I slice thinly and make into a quick pickle that's really nice to snack on.

I have some carrots, zucchini, and bok choy I plan to stir fry with ginger, garlic, and soy sauce.

Some fresh asparagus to quickly pan roast with a bit of butter, salt, and pepper.

Notice, no salads or frozen veggies mentioned anywhere.

Explore new recipes online because there is so, so much more to eat in the world of delicious healthy fruits and veggies than the world give them credit for.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:01 am
champion wrote:
This menu is so basic it won't last you long.
How about legumes(peas, lentils, corn, chickpeas and chumus)? fruit? berries? a natural sweetener (maple syrup, silan, coconut sugar, Rappadura)??
What kind of fats are you using? Is there any tehini, avocado or nut butters in your diet?
How about fun food? Do you have any of that?
How about shabbos? Are you enjoying your seudos? What are you eating

Yes, legumes have lots of protein and are a nice change from chicken/fish/beef. Is it compatible with your diet?

Minestrone (minus the pasta)?
Hummous?
White beans and tomatoes and parmesan?
Black bean tacos? Um, minus the tortillas I guess...
Lentil soup?
Lentil burgers?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise