Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Grocery store sticker shock

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:37 pm
I was in for a big surprise today when I went shopping for groceries at Shoprite and CVS. There was a significant price increase.
I had read that disposable products will cost more and gas could become scarce but I bought mostly food.
Is anyone else aware of the increase and how will you adjust your budget?

small bean

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:40 pm
This is just the beginning. Prices will continue to rise and people will have to cut from elsewhere.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:44 pm
I have read stories about this recently. It is for a variety of reasons but the price increase has been so striking that it is hard to ignore.

Produce is much more expensive even at Costco. I used to get poached salmon for $12.99 a pound and now it is $16.99 per pound. I mention that specifically because it went from being expensive to being crazy expensive.

Also the cost of building materials have gone through the roof (no pun intended). The cost of plywood has tripled since the epidemic because they miscalculated and thought people wouldn't be building or remodeling during the pandemic but instead business boomed.

sky

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:54 pm
Regarding building supplies - most articles are saying it won’t go back down. So the high prices are here to stay.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:58 pm
But then it primarily affects discretionary spending so the restaurants, fashion shops, gift stores, travel, etc are all affected.

lucky14

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:59 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have read stories about this recently. It is for a variety of reasons but the price increase has been so striking that it is hard to ignore.

Produce is much more expensive even at Costco. I used to get poached salmon for $12.99 a pound and now it is $16.99 per pound. I mention that specifically because it went from being expensive to being crazy expensive.

Also the cost of building materials have gone through the roof (no pun intended). The cost of plywood has tripled since the epidemic because they miscalculated and thought people wouldn't be building or remodeling during the pandemic but instead business boomed.

YES! We wanted to get a fence installed and the quotes we got were INSANE. If only we did it a couple of years ago....

keym

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:01 pm
southernbubby wrote:
But then it primarily affects discretionary spending so the restaurants, fashion shops, gift stores, travel, etc are all affected.

Which is so sad because these are the industries really devastated by COVID and the lockdowns.

small bean

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:04 pm
southernbubby wrote:

The lesson is any fees that get tacked on to anything gets passed to the consumer. Never believe anyone who will tell you these things don't effect the little guy. They effect the little guy the most.

monkeymamma

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:05 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Why do you expect anything different when taxes have gone up (at least in NY) and the govt is providing money to people so the stores (who are presumably burdened with these taxes) believe that their costumers should pay for said taxes using the money they get from the govt (or rather from these stores who are now paying higher taxes)?

Amarante

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:11 pm
monkeymamma wrote:
Why do you expect anything different when taxes have gone up (at least in NY) and the govt is providing money to people so the stores (who are presumably burdened with these taxes) believe that their costumers should pay for said taxes using the money they get from the govt (or rather from these stores who are now paying higher taxes)?

Actually it is wholesale prices that are causing the higher prices. The cost of the actual products as well as the cost of transporting are responsible for the prices. Taxes on businesses aren't impacting since those haven't been raised since the pandemic started. It is the cost of running a business - e.g. utilities and to some extent labor - but those are also impacting the cost all along the supply chain - e.g. it costs more to harvest produce - it costs more for the stuff needed to grow and produce food - it costs more to transport produce etc.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:14 pm
Some places have labor shortages because they are still collecting unemployment. The issue with gas is the shortage of qualified oil tanker drivers.

small bean

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:15 pm
It's not just gas. There's a lack of labor which is causing supply issues.

There are so many issues but with current spending projections, tax increases, higher wages, more regulation etc we are looking at prices skyrocketing across all sectors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains