Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Workplace Tragedy - WWYD?

STMommy

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:34 am
Today we learned at work of a tragedy that affected our workplace (my apologies for not being more specific).
My boss got the staff together for an emergency meeting to break the news to us and give us a chance to process with each other.
During the meeting, my boss, who is Jewish but unaffiliated, stated to everyone, "I have a hard time believing that G-d exists after something like this".
I sat quietly and said nothing in deference to how emotional and upset he was.

Should I say something to him once things calm down? If so, what? Should I give him something to read? Say nothing? Is that a chillul Hashem? Was it a chillul Hashem that I said nothing in the meeting?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:40 am
I think every individual deals with tragedy differently.
Why cant you allow him his feelings?
It may not be how you feel, but thats ok.

honeymoon

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:44 am
The fact that he is even making a reference to G-d while dealing with the news of this tragedy shows that he does believes He exists. He is just struggling to make sense of why Hashem did this. Its ok. Its a different way of processing tragedy. If it comes up in a conversation again I would say something gently, if not let it slide.

syrima

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:48 am
What honeymoon said. Right after a loss the avel does not perform mitzvos, or say brachos. It's not bc he doesn't believe in Hashem, but there is a distance that is created by the event, and we are allowed to acknowledge it and take time to process. Otherwise we'd be robots.

trixx

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:08 am
I think it would be pretty insensitive to start preaching emunah at that moment so no, not a chill Hashem

Jeanette

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:11 am
Many frum people struggle with their own emunah after a tragedy. Now is a time to just be with the person emotionally. Later if they're ready to start processing what happened on a more intellectual level you can share some thoughts that you find inspirational. Keep in mind that even among frum people there's a wide range of sayings that some people find comforting and others find irritating.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:27 am
There’s nothing wrong with having a hard time understanding how Gd could allow tragedies could happen. That’s part of being human

mommyhood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:35 am
It was inappropriate of him to bring up his beliefs in G-d and it would be inappropriate for you to reply. I don't think anyone is assuming that your silence is agreement here, everyone processes grief in their own way.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:56 pm
mommyhood wrote:
It was inappropriate of him to bring up his beliefs in G-d and it would be inappropriate for you to reply. I don't think anyone is assuming that your silence is agreement here, everyone processes grief in their own way.

This. Work is not the place to assert his or your religious beliefs.

Separately, he is entitled to his beliefs the same way you are to yours. Saying anything to him is inappropriate, you wouldn't want him coming over to you to try to convince you G-d doesn't exist. Don't try to convince him out of his beliefs. Not your place
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics