Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
"Each others"?
1  2  Next

enneamom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:12 pm
Is this a new thing? I'm seeing it everywhere lately.

Guys, it's not "each others". It's each other.

Your kids don't play with each others, they play with each other. Of course, they might take away each other's toys, but that's a different, more possessive story.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:35 pm
Lol. Whenever I see that phrase here, I think, “Each other’s what?”

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:44 pm
While that is 100% true, what are you hoping to accomplish?
Are you looking to teach grammar and improve the writing skills of the women here? Are you looking for people to feel insecure about their writing? Or just bolster yourself and show off your intelligence and education? Not everyone’s first language is English. Some people have better educations that others. If I had to post in Hebrew, it would be ridiculously incorrect.
I will admit some posts are harder to read and understand than others, and sometimes you can tell the poster’s background from their writing style. I thought the idea here was to share ideas, advice and insight, not to submit perfectly written essays and to be graded on COPS instead of content.

FYI, I am MO, value secular education and am IVY educated.(Though I am a Math/Science person and hate English/History).

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:59 pm
People are generous with their letters.

freilich

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:21 pm
[quote="amother [ Tan ]"]While that is 100% true, what are you hoping to accomplish?
Are you looking to teach grammar and improve the writing skills of the women here? Are you looking for people to feel insecure about their writing? Or just bolster yourself and show off your intelligence and education? Not everyone’s first language is English. Some people have better educations that others. If I had to post in Hebrew, it would be ridiculously incorrect.
I will admit some posts are harder to read and understand than others, and sometimes you can tell the poster’s background from their writing style. I thought the idea here was to share ideas, advice and insight, not to submit perfectly written essays and to be graded on COPS instead of content.

FYI, I am MO, value secular education and am IVY educated.(Though I am a Math/Science person and hate English/History).[/quotel

Liking this isn’t enough!

Kudos to you Hooray

enneamom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
While that is 100% true, what are you hoping to accomplish?

FYI, I am MO, value secular education and am IVY educated.(Though I am a Math/Science person and hate English/History).

OK amother...

I hear people for whom English is their first language saying it. I don't think that's the issue, I think people hear it, assume it's correct and repeat it. I see it becoming more widespread when I've never heard it before, and I'm sure those who make an attempt to sound intelligent will be happy to be informed that it's incorrect.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:46 pm
enneamom wrote:
OK amother...

I hear people for whom English is their first language saying it. I don't think that's the issue, I think people hear it, assume it's correct and repeat it. I see it becoming more widespread when I've never heard it before, and I'm sure those who make an attempt to sound intelligent will be happy to be informed that it's incorrect.

Ok, than it is a PSA, and simply education about language and grammar as we can all always improve of style and vocabulary.
Thank you for clarifying. I need to work on being less cynical and seeing the best in people.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 3:48 pm
It's a mistake made in translation from Yiddish I believe. It grates on my nerves too. Oh well.

singleagain

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:04 pm
A lot of times I'm swiping and extra letters especially s's just pop in there because I am not paying that close attention

nchr

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:10 pm
I use this often when I speak. I think it's a yiddish as a first language kind of thing.

enneamom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's a mistake made in translation from Yiddish I believe. It grates on my nerves too. Oh well.

Interesting. What does it translate from?

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:34 pm
its not a translation but more like a misuse in the language that just sounds right so why not use it
and I'm aware my spelling is bad so I hope I'm not an eyesore to anyone

moonstone

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:48 pm
enneamom wrote:
OK amother...

Yeah, I often point out English mistakes here (I just did it in another thread LOL). I'm not trying to mock anyone, I'm genuinely trying to be helpful. I know that I'd appreciate someone pointing out my grammar or vocab mistakes.

ETA: I just realized that sometimes people tell me when I make a mistake in Hebrew and I really do appreciate it.

enneamom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:51 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
its not a translation but more like a misuse in the language that just sounds right so why not use it
and I'm aware my spelling is bad so I hope I'm not an eyesore to anyone

I don't care if someone is not skilled at spelling, it's not a requirement to be able to comment Smile It's more that this particular mistake seems to be becoming part of the lexicon and I, a protector and defender of proper speech, would like to stand in the breach gallantly preventing the unaware from embarrassing themselves. Okay maybe that's a little dramatic but it sort of ran away with me.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:55 pm
enneamom wrote:
I don't care if someone is not skilled at spelling, it's not a requirement to be able to comment Smile It's more that this particular mistake seems to be becoming part of the lexicon and I, a protector and defender of proper speech, would like to stand in the breach gallantly preventing the unaware from embarrassing themselves. Okay maybe that's a little dramatic but it sort of ran away with me.

ha! you sound almost more elegant then my english born and bred parents! notice that I said almost Wink

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:56 pm
this bothers me also. Its definitely a chasidish thing.
Also 'mines'.

Ok1

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
this bothers me also. Its definitely a chasidish thing.
Also 'mines'.

why do you take it personal? who cares?

blessedflower

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:04 am
As someone that tends to make this type of mistakes, I'll share my opinion. I appreciate it a lot when people show me where I made a mistake, otherwise how will I ever learn. But it all depends how it's said. If someone starts ranting about how irritating my mistakes are or how stupid it sounds, I will definitely become conscious and uncomfortable. If someone wants to educate me in a non judgemental way I'll gladly listen and accept. Oh and I'll keep on making mistakes even if you show me where I'm wrong, I don't learn in one day.
Fyi I speak, write and read 3 languages very fluently and another two less fluently. Some of you speak a perfect English but aren't so fluent in (many) more languages

blessedflower

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:07 am
Also recently I have been writting with a device that is old and broken. I can't seem to type without a bunch of spelling mistakes and the auto correct is extremely bad for some reason

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:10 am
blessedflower wrote:
As someone that tends to make this type of mistakes, I'll share my opinion. I appreciate it a lot when people show me where I made a mistake, otherwise how will I ever learn. But it all depends how it's said. If someone starts ranting about how irritating my mistakes are or how stupid it sounds, I will definitely become conscious and uncomfortable. If someone wants to educate me in a non judgemental way I'll gladly listen and accept. Oh and I'll keep on making mistakes even if you show me where I'm wrong, I don't learn in one day.
Fyi I speak, write and read 3 languages very fluently and another two less fluently. Some of you speak a perfect English but aren't so fluent in (many) more languages

It's amazing that you speak that many languages but why assume the rant is about you? For all I know it can be about me or anyone else
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics