Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Laundry for miles

mybusyima

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:16 pm
Can someone please help me with a laundry system. I am clearly doing it wrong. We are 2 adults, 5 kids and laundry feels endless Surprised

Sunny Days

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:27 pm
It will be endless Baruch HaShem Smile

Last edited by Sunny Days on Fri, May 07 2021, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

mybusyima

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:53 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
It will be endless Baruch HaShem Smile

A good system is key!
I have a 4 sectional hamper so laundry gets sorted as we go along. Now that I have a bigger house I keep a 3 sectional hamper near the kids bedroom too so they can throw their laundry in there.

I’m not perfect and I have plenty loads sitting around waiting to be folded... but- I try to fold as soon as it’s out of the dryer because fresh laundry is so much easier and then of course there’s no pile up...

For dark load and delicate stuff or white shirts- I put on hangers right when I take out of washer and hang in the closets or baby’s crib (for baby stuff I don’t put in dryer). I guess I’m lucky my closets are big enough that it dries fast with no issue! In the past I had a hanging thingie/rack I would spread it out and over the shower rod and window blinds. This streamlines things and minimizes a step plus minimizes the messy look of laundry all over.

I’ve tried washing more frequently and smaller loads but I end up washing once or twice a week each “color” depending on what else is going on in my life then, but other people are more disciplined Smile everyone should do what works for them!

Thanks! I currently have three hampers in the bathroom plus one in each of the kids rooms. I keep finding myself with mountains of laundry that needs to be folded, hung and put away, because apparently I'm lazy,but to my defense, there must be hundreds of items that I wash each week, so I'm kind of burned out...

happy chick

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:55 pm
I do laundry every single day of the week. Except motzei shabbos, that's for only the shabbos tablecloths. It's so much easier to do more small loads, rather than fewer larger loads.

Also, you should not have a hamper in each room. Kids have to learn to put their stuff in the bathroom. It will take time to get used to, bit worth it.

Last edited by happy chick on Thu, May 06 2021, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

hodeez

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:56 pm
Same. The 2nd bed in my room is the laundry bed 😅

tweety1

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:00 pm
happy chick wrote:
I do laundry every single day of the week. Except motzei shabbos, that's for only the shabbos tablecloths. It's so much easier to do more small loads, rather than fewer larger loads.

This! I do laundry every single day besides motzei shabbos. I do aprox 1-2 loads each day. Wash, dry, fold, and hang up. It includes linen and towels too. If I miss even one day it's a disaster. But if I'm consistent it's a pleasure.

number

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:05 pm
I do laundry twice a week. I put in a load and while it’s washing I put away the dry laundry from a few days ago.

Hampers are in my kids’ rooms, the bathrooms, and the laundry sorter is in the laundry room. A few times a week I empty all the hampers into the right sections of the laundry sorter. That way when I go to do laundry a large chunk of it is already sorted.

Somehow there is still laundry everywhere but at least everyone has what to wear. I think the only way to cut down on the amount of laundry is to do it everyday and to put it away the next day. Which is a problem because my laundry takes longer than that to dry if I hang it, and I’m too lazy to put the laundry from the dryer away right away.

srbmom

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:07 pm
I also do laundry everyday, I have a very strict schedule I follow. I do 2 loads each day and try to fold it as soon as it comes out of the dryer.
Sometimes I'll do a 3rd load if a laundry "emergency" comes up

mybusyima

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:32 pm
Thanks everyone, going to try to do 1-2 loads everyday. Somehow I usually find myself doing a bunch of loads Thursday afternoon through Friday Can't Believe It .

lkwdlady

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:43 pm
When we were on lockdown and everyone was home last year without cleaning help, it was overwhelming at first. Eventually I took control over my home and realized that with the laundry, doing a load each day including folding and putting that load away is what made the laundry system flow. They’re was no back up this way.
I still try to do it like that but life got busy and we run out each morning and come home tired so sometimes I skip a day and skipping that one day makes it overwhelming for me.

TCR

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:45 pm
mybusyima wrote:
Thanks! I currently have three hampers in the bathroom plus one in each of the kids rooms. I keep finding myself with mountains of laundry that needs to be folded, hung and put away, because apparently I'm lazy,but to my defense, there must be hundreds of items that I wash each week, so I'm kind of burned out...

this is why ther are ppl who choose to have few shirts/pants and socks, to limit the clutter, though they will have to do laundry every other day in order to always have what to wear

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:10 pm
mybusyima wrote:
Thanks everyone, going to try to do 1-2 loads everyday. Somehow I usually find myself doing a bunch of loads Thursday afternoon through Friday Can't Believe It .

That sounds like a hectic and overwhelming time to do laundry! What if you changed it to Sunday?

ez-pass

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:29 pm
I do loads all the time. My system is this.
Kids have laundry baskets in their room and we have two huge ones in laundry room. Tbh the ones in the rooms dont get used really since we ur straight in the laundry room mostly.
I also bought 6 baskets I keep in a guest room. Once I wash we sort the clean laundry by person into a basket so each person has a basket of clean clothing but not necessarily folded. I do this right when it comes out of the dryer. It takes 2 minutes and my kids love to help. When I fold I spill out, fold and put back in. My kids can then put away in their drawers themselves or we can. Until we have time to fold each person only needs to look in their basket for clothing. I generally fold once a week.

familyfirst

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:40 pm
Hang up and fold what needs to be hung so won’t get creased
Have separate baskets For socks, underwear, pajamas, and tights

If no time to fold those, at least they’re already sorted
Keep the baskets in guest room or designated place for kids to find

Saves huge amounts of time and breaks up the burden

zaq

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:51 am
mybusyima wrote:

Ha! I thought I was the only one with multiple hampers.
How old are your kids? If you have five, unless you have triplets, at least some of them must be old enough to do some folding and putting away, at least.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:26 am
mybusyima wrote:

I used to be the exact same way! Oh those times. It was nutty. The system I have now happened my mistake last yr. Rosh Hashanah/succos time. I found myself doing laundry every day and all of a sudden things miraculously fell into place. So I decided if it's working I'll just continue. I can't say I never fall back. If I'm not feeling well or whatever but for the most part I'm very strict on myself. It's the only way.

smile11

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:14 am
I do laundry twice a week (small family) I hang everything straight on hangers so I'm avoiding extra work and ironing for some stuff
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics