Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need help planning a trip to Arizona ...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 7:16 am
Flying into Vegas.
I’m totally lost. Thank you!

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 7:25 am
We always look for the Chabad websites when we travel. They are usually the best guides to all the local information that you need. Grand Canyon is the highlight, of course, but don't overlook Sedona which is stunning. Also, check out the weather- it gets extremely hot in the summer.

Scotty

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:26 am
Must must must do Sedona!!! It’s magnificent and breathtaking. Leave a whole day for it. It will bring tears to your eyes. Do some research which parks to visit there. Sliding rock park (I think that was what it’s called) has a natural water slide we loved! (There will be people in bathing suits FYI)

Flying into Vegas - make sure to take into account how you will drive to where you are staying. Sedona or Phoenix are quite a ride from Vegas.

You may want to check out painted rocks park near Vegas, or go up to Zion national park.

It is HOT. Never travel without lots of water and a working phone! Never never!

Some minyanim or kosher services are seasonal. Do your homework online.

If you have small children the Phoenix zoo was HOT but nice and had a splash garden halfway through which was a big hit.

jd1212

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:44 am
Do not visit in the middle of the summer if you want to be outdoors in the middle of the day. When its 110 degrees, you can’t safely stay out very long from 10-3ish...

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:25 am
The Hoover Dam is fascinating and on the way from Las Vegas to Sedona. Makes a nice stop.

doctorima

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:45 am
Page, AZ is stunning - check out Lake Powell, Antelope Slot Canyon (need reservations), and Horseshoe Bend.

Mothers

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:50 am
Flying into Las Vegas gives you the option of doing Utah, as well. Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon are within driving distance of Las Vegas.

If you give a little more information (I.e. how long you are staying, what type of activities you find appealing, etc.) we could probably be more helpful.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:50 am
Stay a night in the strip in Vegas. Hotels are so cheap there.

Drive to the Hoover dam

Zion National park in Utah

Grand Canyon

Sedona

End up in Phoenix Arizona

It’s a lot of driving btw

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:03 pm
As a person born and raised in Arizona,
Don’t don’t don’t dontttttttt go out in the summer when it’s really hot!!

If you must, bring and drink lots of fluids and keep the ac in your car on. Do your best to park in a shady spot.

There are plenty of public pools but be prepared to see swimming suits and mixed swimming lol. Water parks are awesome during that time but don’t eat before unless you want to throw up. It will also be mixed with all types of people. I wanted to go last year with just my female family members but corona happened.
Do drink a lot of water and put on sunscreen when you are out in the sun. The sun is brutal in the summer. Temperatures rise from 100-110 degrees.

There are so many places to see.

cat81

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:30 pm
Sounds like ppl are recommending against visiting here in August.
That’s a shame as after camp is over is pretty much the only family time we have.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:03 am
cat81 wrote:
Sounds like ppl are recommending against visiting here in August.
That’s a shame as after camp is over is pretty much the only family time we have.

We went through the same thought process many years ago. Some of the most beautiful places in the US are in regions that are extremely hot in the summer. But then we realized as you did that the only realistic time we can take a family trip to see them is in the summer due to kids' school calendars.

Some places can have a bad year to visit for reasons like forest fires, in which case it makes sense to wait a year or two and go for a better experience. But for AZ and UT, nothing would ever change, so it was either decide to never see them, or else just go in the summer with realistic expectations (and clothing) and make the best of it. We chose the latter and had an amazing trip!

Yes, it's hot, but you can plan your itinerary around the weather and try to do things early in the morning (when you will be up anyway due to jetlag) or late in the day, and try to be indoors in A/C or in the pool during the hottest parts of the day. We got something like this for each child (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATSJ6X0) and had lots of cold drinks and had a marvelous time. One other point: Yes, Arizona is really hot, but it's a dry heat with no humidity, not like the heavy heat you're used to in the East, which can also make a difference.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:15 am
I live in Phoenix.
Definitely don't come in the summer, it's torture. 120 degree type torture. Winter is the time to visit!

freshair

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:41 pm
I'm going next week. Any good ideas?

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:08 pm
freshair wrote:
I'm going next week. Any good ideas?

Grand Canyon, Sedona, if you’re the nature type.

There are a ton of water parks but it’s also mixed.

freshair

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:25 pm
Do I need to plan?

doctorima

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:36 pm
It can get really hot there (high today in Phoenix was 101!), so drink lots of water and plan your days accordingly. We loved Sedona, the Grand Canyon, and Page/Lake Powell, which are also 10-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

shanarishona

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:14 pm
Please be aware of the time change!!! (Please correct me anyone who know better but I think that Arizona doesn’t have DST so it will be an hour different than Nevada and Utah.
Is that correct???

Important to know about.
That also affects davening times etc..
(We once showed up an hour early for a sunset!)

doctorima

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:29 am
freshair wrote:
Do I need to plan?

If you want to enjoy the trip, then planning has to take place at some point, either before you go or once you're there. I much prefer doing it in advance so that I can actually enjoy the destination once I've arrived.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics