Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Att. Illustrators and authors of Children's books
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:37 pm
It has been my dream to illustrate a children's book ever since I can remember. Over the years, I have had several would-be authors ask me to illustrate their books, but it never panned out, and I never pursued it on my own.

Now I was given a serious offer by a published author and I accepted the offer. I'm really excited for the opportunity.

I am looking to connect to other illustrators and authors of children's books, to get some tips and advice, and to get some questions answered about the process.
Anyone here fit the bill and willing to share their experience?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:09 pm
Bump. anyone?

singleagain

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:18 pm
Disclaimer voice to text

I don't know a lot, But certain artists might have a very specific vision in their head and they may be very micromanaging so it's best to try and work out that or how the feedback is going to go before you start

I just know when I have to do feedback back and forth it's it can be very annoying when I'm trying to explain what I have in mind and someone else doesn't understand that and such

trixx

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:37 pm
Maybe soferet?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:16 pm
Look up Dina Akerman and Rikki Binenfeild on Linkedin.
They'll be glad to help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Look up Dina Akerman and Rikki Binenfeild on Linkedin.
They'll be glad to help.

Thanks. I actually follow both of them on Instagram. I will reach out to them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:45 pm
trixx wrote:
Maybe soferet?

Is that an artist?

sabertooth

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:11 pm
Soferet is a google/ email group for anyone in the writing/ publishing field in the frum world

Kiwi13

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:14 pm
I’ve worked with illustrators before. My best advice is to work off an illustration storyboard/art direction document and make sure to clarify any uncertainty before you start. Always start with rough sketches, and get them approved before finalizing. START WITH CHARACTER DESIGN ALWAYS!!!

Hatzlacha! It’s a really fun field!!! 😊

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 9:55 pm
That sounds amazing! Good for you! Illustrating a book has long been on my bucket list as well.

It would be cool to have an artists group similar to Soferet. I always wonder why there are so many more frum writers than artists.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:24 pm
Yay for you!
I co-illustrated 2 books years ago and would love to get back into the field one day. Maybe when my kids grow up a little bit...

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Yay for you!
I co-illustrated 2 books years ago and would love to get back into the field one day. Maybe when my kids grow up a little bit...

What do you mean you co illustrated?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:23 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I’ve worked with illustrators before. My best advice is to work off an illustration storyboard/art direction document and make sure to clarify any uncertainty before you start. Always start with rough sketches, and get them approved before finalizing. START WITH CHARACTER DESIGN ALWAYS!!!

Hatzlacha! It’s a really fun field!!! 😊

Can you explain what you mean by art direction document?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:27 pm
I do all my artwork by hand. With real art supplies and real surfaces.
But I see that today the artwork in most children's books are done digitally.

I'm wondering if you ladies think its necessary to make the switch? Is it much faster? I'm a pretty proficient artist, and I love to work with my hands. I'm afraid of the learning curve that switching over would require.
But I would do it if it was necessary.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do all my artwork by hand. With real art supplies and real surfaces.
But I see that today the artwork in most children's books are done digitally.

I'm wondering if you ladies think its necessary to make the switch? Is it much faster? I'm a pretty proficient artist, and I love to work with my hands. I'm afraid of the learning curve that switching over would require.
But I would do it if it was necessary.

Both have a place in the illustration world. However, if you illustrate by hand, you should still have a good process for scanning and editing your work. If you decide to go digital, procreate has an easy learning curve. There is definitely something slightly more special with real, textured mediums.

Are you familiar with storyboards? You might benefit from following some children’s illustrators on Instagram. A lot of them share their processes and it’s very interesting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:49 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Both have a place in the illustration world. However, if you illustrate by hand, you should still have a good process for scanning and editing your work. If you decide to go digital, procreate has an easy learning curve. There is definitely something slightly more special with real, textured mediums.

Are you familiar with storyboards? You might benefit from following some children’s illustrators on Instagram. A lot of them share their processes and it’s very interesting.

No. I am not familiar with storyboards. I have never done this before. I have a vague idea of laying out the story. ?
This book would be a collection of very short stories and I would do one illustration per story.
Would that require a storyboard?
Can you share names of some illustrators worth following?

tigerwife

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:01 am
A storyboard helps you organize your illustrations so that one flows into the next and you can change perspectives so that things don’t get boring. It looks something like these:

However, from what you describe, you wouldn’t need to storyboard since you’re creating individual, unrelated illustrations.

Some random artists I’ve picked from my feed:

@devinellekurtz
@themoodysociety
@adilsonfarias
@iravgust
@housecatillustration

You can also follow accounts like @childrenbook_art who feature various artists.

Success10

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:59 am
There is no replacing work done by hand. Especially watercolors. I do my drawings by hand with a pencil, scan it and refine it on the computer, and color on the computer. Easier to fix mistakes. Or if the client wants one small change, not really doable in work done by hand. But handmade art from start to finish is a different league of beautiful and whimsical.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:07 am
Success10 wrote:
There is no replacing work done by hand. Especially watercolors. I do my drawings by hand with a pencil, scan it and refine it on the computer, and color on the computer. Easier to fix mistakes. Or if the client wants one small change, not really doable in work done by hand. But handmade art from start to finish is a different league of beautiful and whimsical.

Thanks For the reply.
What program do you use to color the work?
What are deadlines like?
I hear what you are saying about mistakes...that's the sticking part.
Do you find that there is a difference in the amount of time spent on each illustration if done by computer vs. By hand? If so, which takes longer?

Success10

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:37 am
What program do you use to color the work?
Photoshop

What are deadlines like?
I don't have a steady workload, it's very occasional, so I can't really answer. But you are entitled to a few days to work on each drawing. I imagine things like weekly comics will demand lesser quality work in a tighter deadline, but that's not the job you have in front of you now.

I hear what you are saying about mistakes...that's the sticking part.
Do you find that there is a difference in the amount of time spent on each illustration if done by computer vs. By hand? If so, which takes longer?

I color with mouse, even though I have a Wacom tablet, I just never got the hang of it and use my mouse to color in my drawings, so that probably takes longer than painting with watercolor or colored pencils, where you have more control. In most modern illustrations ,the lineart is done with the tablet right onto the computer, probably faster than pencil and scanning and refining, but, again, you lose that hand-drawn look which I love.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics