Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Academically bright but behaviorally huge issue in school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 1:38 pm
Where to send a child like this?
The psychiatrist said he should be in a class with 6-7 kids but where do I send a child who does not have academic issues ? I know special Ed schools and programs but that would not be appropriate...
if anyone has any ideas in NY please let me know.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:33 pm
I did this in Chicago a few years ago and it helped my son a lot. Hatzlacha finding something in NY!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:35 pm
Most small class programs have individualized education that will teach him at his level, so it's worth trying to call different programs and ask them if they do this. Alternatively, would a shadow in a full class work?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:37 pm
if you are in brooklyn: ohr dovid

shanie5

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 1:30 pm
Is he acting out from boredom?
I have a cousin who was the same. The teachers learned that for every sheet of work she gave out, she gave my cousin 4 sheets. She was kept busy, not bored and stopped acting out.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
if you are in brooklyn: ohr dovid

Yes
This is exactly the kind of boys that enroll in their school. I switched my son there and we are all so much happier. It's made a world of a difference in our lives.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 4:06 pm
Do you have a diagnosis? I had the same experience with my son - who has a genius level IQ but had behavioral issues. First grade was a nightmare. Being bored in school didn't help. He was diagnosed with ADHD and I switched schools. Medication and having understanding school support made a huge difference. He is now in medical school. It was a wild ride, but we made it.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:19 pm
ohr dovid has boys not just from brooklyn but all over NYC, even Monsey, Lakewood, Passaic, 5 Towns
that's exactly who they cater to, typical child with behavior issues

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 8:46 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Is he acting out from boredom?
I have a cousin who was the same. The teachers learned that for every sheet of work she gave out, she gave my cousin 4 sheets. She was kept busy, not bored and stopped acting out.

I don't have advice for OP, but I don't think this will work.
Bright kids with behavioral challenges don't seem to take to busy work well. Most don't want more work and see it as a punishment. Many might have issues that OT can help that they're masking by causing trouble to avoid having to do physical things like writing or sitting which may be hard for them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:32 pm
Thanks for all the responses. The psychiatrist said he has odd and adhd and ocd and we got him evaluated in order to get aba and now he has asd too. Tried many different meds - stimulant induced ocd and ssri caused hypomania. We’ve been riding this journey for a long time. Not sure what to do - I’ve heard terrible things about that school from two different people who work there so it’s not for us.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:36 pm
Is home instruction an option?
With these diagnoses my son qualified for a home instructor. DOE sent a teacher to our home. My son liked it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:37 pm
Have you tried a 1:1 para in the classroom? We had success with that option until the school stopped allowing it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:49 pm
Thank you. Trying to figure out options. He only started being a real school problem this year (2nd grade) but these are all good ideas. Tysm!

bwaybabe85

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 6:18 am
Sounds like my first grader. He’s in yeshiva ketana of Manhattan which has small classes (there are 10 in his class this year). My son takes guanfacin for his ADHD. He has a behavior support para, seit, OT and counseling on his IEP. He’s really improved this year. Feel free to pm me

amother
Red

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 6:27 am
Definitely try Intuniv for him. My kid had the same thing with stimulants, plus they exacerbated and actually created some behavior problems that took years afterwards to deal with and reduce. Intuniv helps a lot. Be aware that there may be a ceiling dose- we found that for my kid, going over 3mg actually can reduce effectiveness.

No great school ideas, but I'd look for something that does a lot of multisensory kinesthetic learning, vs being given extra work. That used to drive my kid crazy.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 6:43 am
All this must be so overwhelming. I don't have specific advice, being that you seem to be taking the right steps. I just want to encourage you. I was in a similar place a number of years ago. It does get better as long as you're addressing the issues. Your child is lucky to have you as a mother.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:03 am
You should go see ohr Dovid for yourself. I was also told that some people were very unhappy with the school and so we kept ds where he was for a few extra years and it didn't get better, it only got worse. I know the school isn't right for everyone but there are also many parents and children who are very happy there. Also the school has changed from a few years ago so if you got information that wasn't up to date you should look into it again. At least just take a tour.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:36 am
Are there any frum Montessori schools in your area? They can be really good for kids with multiple behavior issues.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. The psychiatrist said he has odd and adhd and ocd and we got him evaluated in order to get aba and now he has asd too. Tried many different meds - stimulant induced ocd and ssri caused hypomania. We’ve been riding this journey for a long time. Not sure what to do - I’ve heard terrible things about that school from two different people who work there so it’s not for us.

I would get a second opinion. Sounds like a very trigger happy psychiatrist.

I was such a kid. I was just too smart for most of my teachers. Had some terrible years and some amazing ones. I’m out of school for over a decade and I’m successful and a very normal part of society. Had I gotten all those diagnoses back as a kid I would have never gotten out of the “problem child” stage.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:23 pm
Navigating similar situation with my son. Looking into Ohr Dovid heard good things from 2 parents and a teacher. Also looking into Sinai. Sinai is a special school that has programs within mainstream modern orthodox schools in Riverdale, Queens, and NJ with transportation from all over NY area. I used to think they were a special needs school, but I found out that they have many different type of classes some are for special needs but many are for academically bright but behaviorally challenged.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)