Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Wearing new clothes during sefirah

Are you makpid not to wear new clothes during sefirah?
Yes  
 27%  [ 27 ]
No  
 57%  [ 57 ]
Only if I have no choice  
 15%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 99

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:32 am
This should really go in the common frum myths thread that teacher started around Purim time (mishloach manos having two brachos, Mordechai being Esther's uncle).
Is there a source for not wearing new clothes during sefiras haomer? I once heard that it's a common misconception that was started when people confused the Three Weeks restrictions with the seven weeks of sefirah, since the other restrictions are so similar- no music, weddings, haircuts, etc. Did anyone ever hear that?

As a chassidish woman who keeps all 7 weeks, I know that the chassidish schools in my community teach the preschools a popular Yiddish song that goes something like this:
קינדרלעך, קינדרלעך, ווייסטו וואס מען מעג
נישט טוען אין די ספירה טעג
שניידן די האר

אנטוען א נייע קלייד
הערן מיוזיק
און פרייליך זיין

(Or something to that effect).

Thoughts?

(Last poll option should be clarified.
I meant: I don't wear new clothes unless I don't have a choice.)

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:40 am
The Rma, in shulchan aruch states clearly that wearing new things is forbidden, this includes any item of clothing on which a shechechiyanu would be made.

Dont know if this extends past lag baomer though

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:06 am
We were very strict about this growing up.
Nowadays I somewhat try, but will wear new things sometimes. I rationalize it by saying in the olden times getting something new was a huge deal and they said shechayanu, since we don't do that anymore and we get clothes way more often it's probably somewhat ok.
It is breaking tradition though.

simcha2

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:09 am
We don't wear for the half we keep. (Day 1 -33). So after that we remove all signs of mourning and wear new clothes, listen to music, attend simchas etc).

SwissAlps

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:09 am
I learned that the difference between sefira and the 3 weeks is that during sefira you can wear new clothes that were bought beforehand but during the 3 weeks you cannot. Otherwise can't wear new clothes during either.
Chabad

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:20 am
I don't. I had a new shirt I was keeping for Lag b'Omer, but last Friday just wasn't the time for new clothes, and I forgot about it. It'll keep until after Shavuot.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 8:25 am
I don't regardless of when it was bought. I buy new clothes so seldom that I'm not going to davka wear new during a period of mourning.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 10:50 am
I saved my new clothes for lag boemer and wore then a few minutes each. I was also taught that you can wear shabbos for the first time. I did cheat a bit with a new skirtskirta as I had nothing else to wear.

synthy

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 11:38 am
I usually don't wear new clothing. I put on any new clothes for the season for 15 minutes, before pesach or on chol hamoed. Lag beomer we do wear new clothes, as well as the 3 days before shevuous. This year tho I'm pregnant and my regular clothes didn't fit anymore so I had to wear everything new. Feels weird, like something's missing!

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:15 pm
Rav told us there's a difference between now and the 3 weeks, so if we need to, we do.
The good news is that we have pesach to wear new, rosh chodesh, lag ba'omer and then the sefira restrictions are lifted per our minhag. Usually no need to rely on leniencies.

ETA: happy chick is right about no longer making shehechiyanus, and that allows leniencies.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, May 07 2021, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

happy chick

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 12:31 pm
These days, wearing new clothes (skirt, shirt, shoes, etc...) doesn't fall under the category of saying shehechayanu . Back in the day, it used to. Many ppl don't hold by it anymore. Buying something more pricey, like a sheitel or car, more ppl are makpid on.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 6:56 am
I never heard of this practice before going to seminary. And even then, it seemed to be only something kept among chassidim. Surprised to read here that others do it as well.

paperflowers

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:37 am
My rav said there’s no problem at all with buying or wearing new clothes during sefira. I remember always be confused about this, but I don’t remember exactly what I learned as a kid.

etky

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:59 am
I will buy something new if there is a compelling reason to but will be careful to wear if for the first time on Shabbat/Rosh Chodesh/Lag B'Omer etc.

ewwpeas20

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:44 am
My Rav said if it’s considered luxurious then we make the bracha.
Chassidish

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:46 am
We are not makpid on this at all. We buy and wear new things

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:38 am
I do because I have nothing else but I feel guilty for it.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 5:13 am
I do.

Just not things id make shecheyanu on (I never buy clothes like that anyways)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days