Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim meal going into shabbos??

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:09 pm
I have heard that places like chabad houses start the meal before shabbos and continue the meal into shabbos. is that something only chabad houses and the like do or do also family's do that? I am asking it because it will make 'life' so much easier.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 10:35 pm
what??

what time is chatzos???

I haven't heard that at all, but I'm not Chabad. I'm PRETTY sure the seudah will be done by 12:30 or 1:00 in my community leaving the afternoon to cook for Shabbos and receive Shaloch Manos visitors.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 10:38 pm
Dh was actually talking about that tonight. It is def. a shitta though we are not Chabad. He said, people eat the seuda (don't bensch) say Kabbalos Shabbos and then continue with meal. Then, you daven maariv later. He said that he had a Rabbi that said not to do it because you might not find a maariv. Dh is interested in doing this and is looking around for a later maariv on that shabbos.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 11:42 pm
I remember doing it once when I was single. I ate by my cousins house and they did it this way. We washed before shabbos , bentched licht - I think we had a break and then continued the seuda. It is good as it means you only have to prepare and clean up one meal. And you have a whole day to give mishloach manos and get ready for shabbos. Don't think I'll be doing it this way this year. I plan to be cooked for shabbos on thursday and the seuda will be simple (with no guest)

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:53 pm
so there's no halacha this year about being done by chatzos so you have tayveh for Shabbos, or what? I'm still confused.

Boys Mom

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:57 pm
If I remember correctly the purim seudah has to be done before your shabbos meal with enough time so that you'll be hungry for your shabbos seudah (which is a mitzvah).

Newsie

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 1:50 am
It's called "Pores Mapah" and it's a shitah. Most rabbanim I know pasken that you have to have the seudah early before chatzos, but I've heard this opinion as well.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 7:40 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
so there's no halacha this year about being done by chatzos so you have tayveh for Shabbos, or what? I'm still confused.

I will check it up, but I think you are right. I think the going into Shabbos is bdieved, like if you suddenly remember at 5pm that you didn't eat your seuda yet, then you CAN do it that way.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 7:46 am
Isn't there a problem though of Davening drunk?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 5:02 am
I checked this out in Rav Zvi Cohen's book Purim V'chodesh Adar over Shabbos, and he writes there that it is a particular minhag. So I guess that means that for anyone who doesn't have this minhag you need to ask your LOR if you can do it at all, since most poskim seem to hold that you must have your seuda lechatchila (the preferred way) before chatzos (halachic midday).

mugsisme

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 11:11 pm
Our shul is doing it here. I am not going. We are eating early here and going to my in-laws for Shabbos night. That way we each cook one meal.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 11:10 am
We always have it separate. Last time it was a Friday, we had a mini meal, just the 5 of us for lunch. then Fri night I made a big seuda, had a bunch of guests & DH brought out the liquor. Doing the same this year.

stsmommy

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 1:34 pm
Actually I am Lubavitch, and my FIL says your not supposed to lead into shabbos, that it is supposed to be done around 1ish.

Imawoman

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 1:49 pm
If you want to know the halacha, go to the source. I heard that there is this guy named Rabbi Moshe Isserles (RAMA)...he wrote some sort of book that has this authoratative quality to it for ashkenazi jews Smile.

grin

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 2:44 am
We're Chabad and I just asked my LOR. He said that if you know the halachos well of doing meal before Shabos, with a proper hafsaka,etc. then it's OK to do it in the afernoon (esp. if I suspect that in a house full of teens, noone is going to come to a seuda in the morning, after all the festivities at nioght and all the tension of erev Shabos to boot).
The source he gave me is "Rama's little book": רע"א/ט-יב
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics