Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O H.S. Things you only notice once you’re out
Previous  1  2

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 7:56 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Do you want Jewish women to be ignorant of our heritage? You can learn very quickly how to budget or cook supper. But what kind of Jewish home can you run without a connection to the things that matter?

Right, there's a reason the BY movement was necessary in the first place!

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:01 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Do you want Jewish women to be ignorant of our heritage? You can learn very quickly how to budget or cook supper. But what kind of Jewish home can you run without a connection to the things that matter?

Learning about your heritage and being the sole emphasis of your education are tow very different things.
The way the average bais yaakov curriculum is set up today goes far beyond what's necessary. No need to learn chumash with multiple mefarshim inside. Same with Navi.
And yes, one can learn to budget and cook supper but look around at this site alone (tiny percentage of frum woman) and see how many struggle with it.
What about sewing? Most don't learn that and thousands of dollars are wasted on seamstresses.
So yes, heritage is important but so is everything else and there is room for both.

Zehava

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:05 am
How insecure most of the bullies and class queens really were. I meet them today without their admiring flock and they are washed out and empty.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:06 am
I was an A student but worked very hard for my grades. I am Bh successful in real life too. Not sure why everyone here is so excited to bash the A students. The same traits they made me studious in school makes me a diligent person all around - at work, at home, etc

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:11 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I was an A student but worked very hard for my grades. I am Bh successful in real life too. Not sure why everyone here is so excited to bash the A students. The same traits they made me studious in school makes me a diligent person all around - at work, at home, etc

I wasn't an A student in the slightest, but yes, I see the same thing around me. Most A students do just fine after graduation. I would add though, that plenty of B or C students end up doing ok, too.
It's more the queen bees (like Zahava said) that seem to have a bit of a comedown in the real world, when they don't have a constant flock of adoring fans giving them validation Cool

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:18 am
I was the straight-A student, and I have to say, I think I've done just fine so far B"H. At the same time, yes, it was more difficult for me to learn discipline, sticktoitiveness, and consistent hard work than it may have been for other students who had to work for it in school.

Ultimately, I've noticed that what you are (or seem to be) in high school has little relevance to who you will be in adulthood. People change. The hormonal teenage years don't tell much of the full story. Perhaps you can get a sense of overall personality, but even the manifestation of that can change.

dena613

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:37 am
That there were girls with mental health issues that weren't properly addressed back then because there wasn't as much awareness

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:01 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Learning about your heritage and being the sole emphasis of your education are tow very different things.
The way the average bais yaakov curriculum is set up today goes far beyond what's necessary. No need to learn chumash with multiple mefarshim inside. Same with Navi.
And yes, one can learn to budget and cook supper but look around at this site alone (tiny percentage of frum woman) and see how many struggle with it.
What about sewing? Most don't learn that and thousands of dollars are wasted on seamstresses.
So yes, heritage is important but so is everything else and there is room for both.

How often do you go to a seamstress? I go maybe 3-5 times a year, mostly for minor things.
Much cheaper today to buy ready made clothes than sew your own.
Much smarter to get an education that will allow you to hire a seamstress when needed, than to spend lots of time teaching girls a skill that is most practical to outsource today.

(Of course, girls who love sewing and fashion are a different story. I am talking about most girls).

Everyone (boys and girls) should know how to sew a button or a simple seam. That doesn't require a weekly class at school though.

I do think, however, that a class on finances (budget, mortgage, loans, salaries, rent) would be useful.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics