Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
S/o High School Salary Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:05 am
I would also like to negotiate my pay. We get paid per period and the rate seems very low to me. What is the average pay per period in Lakewood?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:10 am
I taught in BP so can’t help bec it definitely goes acc to neighborhood. I suggest editing your title to include Lakewood. Good luck!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:45 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I taught in BP so can’t help bec it definitely goes acc to neighborhood. I suggest editing your title to include Lakewood. Good luck!!

Thanks, I put it in the Lakewood forum but now added to my title.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, I put it in the Lakewood forum but now added to my title.

Yes I missed that!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:29 am
From the research I’ve done- the absolute highest is 50 per period. Most teachers get significantly less.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:37 am
between $35 and $50 - depending on how many periods you teach and your subject. I have heard of schools offering $60.

Bigger schools pay more

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:37 am
between $35 and $50 - depending on how many periods you teach and your subject. I have heard of schools offering $60.

Bigger schools pay more

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:39 am
Wow. So if I’m getting $35 now, that’s average? I’m hoping to raise at least to $40 (which will still be very little overall) but from what I understand it’s still half of what I’d make in NY.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:42 am
I make $50 a period but I don’t work in a typical high school.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:43 am
So interested in seeing this. I teach in a smaller school in the tri state area for many years and get the lower amount mentioned. However in Lakewood there are schools in Lakewood that have upwards of 45 girls a class and I would imagine rightfully so that those teachers get more. Also depends if you teach English or Hebrew. For some reason there is a disparity in pay between the two...
I definitely feel like the younger teachers coming in now are getting paid way more than teachers that Have been teaching for say even 20 years or so because there is a lot less competition for the jobs and a lot more demand for teachers. It is a pity that we don’t recognize teachers based on the years of experience they bring to the table. I know that some teachers starting off are being paid as a starting salary the same amount as someone that’s been working her way of the pay scale and has been teaching for around 20 years..

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
So interested in seeing this. I teach in a smaller school for many years and get the lower amount mentioned. However there are schools in Lakewood that have upwards of 45 girls a class and I would imagine rightfully so that those teachers get more. Also depends if you teach English or Hebrew. For some reason there is a disparity in pay between the two...
I definitely feel like the younger teachers coming in now are getting paid way more than teachers that Have been teaching for say even 20 years or so because there is a lot less competition for the jobs and a lot more demand for teachers. It is a pity that we don’t recognize teachers based on the years of experience they bring to the table. I know that some teachers starting off are being paid as a starting salary the same amount as someone that’s been working her way of the pay scale and has been teaching for around 20 years..

Interesting. Do you think this is because the older teachers are not asking for raises, or perhaps just accepted they’ll never make much off teaching and do it as a hobby?

To clarify, I don’t teach hebrew. The school is not big at all.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting. Do you think this is because the older teachers are not asking for raises, or perhaps just accepted they’ll never make much off teaching and do it as a hobby?

To clarify, I don’t teach hebrew. The school is not big at all.

No, it’s not a hobby. Most people I know are teaching because they are either supplementing income or are working while their husbands learn. I think it’s just how the system works -you can’t just double your salary all of a sudden and the schools are tight fisted with their budgets. They have no choice but to offer more to new teachers otherwise they will not fill the teaching slots, but take their older and more respected teachers for granted. I wish things could change...

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
No, it’s not a hobby. Most people I know are teaching because they are either supplementing income or are working while their husbands learn. I think it’s just how the system works -you can’t just double your salary all of a sudden and the schools are tight fisted with their budgets. They have no choice but to offer more to new teachers otherwise they will not fill the teaching slots, but take their older and more respected teachers for granted. I wish things could change...

I said hobby because I am looking at my annual take home and there is no way I can support my family on this income. In fact DH is working and it’s still not enough of a supplement (I work other jobs as well). I do it because I am passionate about it but it’s a pity that so much of my work (most of which is unpaid) is worth so little.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 2:47 pm
There is so much vacation built into the school year. When you say you are getting 45 a period is that straight hourly or a salary based on 45 a period. How much are you in fact bringing home at the end of the school year per period? 7000??

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 3:26 pm
I have been around many Lakewood High Schools. I found that for Limudei Chol, average starting in a school is $35-$38, depending on level of experience. It should go up from there, but I don't know any English teachers in Lakewood making $50.

I believe Kodesh teachers make more.

It is salary based, meaning you do get "paid" for vacation days, but that is factored into your salary. When I was teaching 4 periods a day, which is a very full schedule, I was still only bringing home in the vicinity of 20K a year.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:22 pm
It doesn’t make sense to compare to what they make in Boro Park. Salaries and expenses vary from city to city.
You pay less for a lot, there, too. It’s all a flow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries