Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Open heart surgery
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 4:34 pm
Just found out my 3 month old beautiful baby girl will need open heart surgery to fix a hole in her heart. Doctor heard a slight murmur and as a precaution sent me to a cardiologist who did an ultrasound and said she has a hole. Anyone go thru this and can help me know what to expect? I am so nervous.

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 4:36 pm
Please contact Yameitz Lebecha asap. They’re very helpful

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 4:40 pm
Yaametz Libechu

For families and parents of children with congenital heart defects. Library, parent networking, medical advice, helpline, newsletters, referrals and adult chapter.

Call: (718) 501-7537

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 5:21 pm
Refuah sheleima! Heart Heart Heart

Hug

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 5:32 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Please contact Yameitz Lebecha asap. They’re very helpful

What she said!!

INSPIREME

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:13 pm
I have a child who had open heart surgery last year for a different cardiac issue at Boston Children's Hospital. Feel free to PM me with any questions - I am glad to help.

Just One

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:16 pm
Definitely call Yametz Libechu for practical direction.
From personal experience with my child and others, I'm thankful to be living in the era that we do. Bh heart surgery is very advanced. If a child is otherwise healthy and well, they usually pass basic repair surgeries with flying colors with only a scar on their chest to tell the tale.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:20 pm
OP, most holes close on their own! Please go for a second opinion ASAP!!
And contact Yametz Libecha yes.

daagahminayin

Post Fri, May 07 2021, 7:23 pm
I went through this with my daughter who had a VSD. Feel free to message me.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:25 pm
Thank you fo responding and calming me down. It really came out of the blue. My daughter has a VSD according to the cardiologist and the whole is on the larger size thats why she wants surgery. Can anyone tell me about that kind of surgery? She says she will probably want me to go to Columbia hospital.

Just One

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 10:33 pm
The surgery will involve a cardiac surgeon placing a patch on the VSD to close it up.

Columbia should be well equipped to handle this kind of surgery.

If you choose to go with them you will need to see one of their pediatric cardiologists (we use Dr Harrington, young with great bedside manner, very reassuring and always made herself available for issues that cropped up). It's great to get that second opinion. Many VSDs close up on their own but when they're too large they can cause trouble and must be operated on.

Feel free to message me

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, May 08 2021, 11:29 pm
My son had open heart surgery 7 years ago for a series of heart defects, including a vsd . We chose to have it done at Boston Children’s because we had a lot more going on than just the chd.. Yaameitz Libechu was extremely helpful. Today he is bh a thriving healthy child. But at the time there was a lot to process. All feelings are normal.

naomi2

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 12:09 am
My son had open heart surgery 8 yrs ago at Columbia and it went very well bh. It was a stressful time but it had to be done and we all got through it. Refuah shelaima to your little girl.

Busy@mom

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 1:16 am
When my baby was 1 day old she was transferred to Columbia hospital for a vsd. I was scared and emotional but grateful that the pediatrician heard the murder. The cardiologist at the hospital said she will definitely need surgery when she is a few months . It was a very big vsd. We went for a second opinion and cardiologist saw some tissue forming around the hole and told us to give it 2 months before we even think of surgery. 2 months later we went back and the hole was significantly smaller. She is now 8 months old and perfectly fine. The hole is still there but its not giving us any issues.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 4:26 pm
Thank you. We left a message for the organization today. When we went to the cardiologist, she said that if the baby was a few weeks old she would give it time to see if we're close. However the baby is 3 months old at this point so she thought we should do surgery. I am going to look into getting a second opinion though.
Is this common not to catch an ultrasound during pregnancy? Cardiologist made it sound like somebody definitely missed something. However, she was at the doctor one time before this and my midwife heard her heartbeat a bunch of times and never picked up the murmur. She told me she almost didn't pick it up she was only able to hear when the baby was really really quiet. If the baby would have been crying she would have never picked it up.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:13 am
Thank yiu for that organization's number. I spoke to her. She is a doll and really calmed us down.

SoBlessed

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:45 am
In our experience Dr Bascha (now practicing at Columbia) is a great option if you want to stay in NY. Whatever happens best of luck!!! I hope everything goes smooth and easy

Just One

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:47 am
SoBlessed wrote:
In our experience Dr Bascha (now practicing at Columbia) is a great option if you want to stay in NY. Whatever happens best of luck!!! I hope everything goes smooth and easy

Yes. He's an extremely talented pediatric cardiac surgeon

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:03 am
So far, I have to get in touch with my pediatrician so I can get a copy of the report. I'm going to send it to the person at the organization. She said the options are basically columbia, or mount sinai.
But she said we definitely should get a second opinion since she's not convinced we should Rush right into surgery.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 2:26 pm
Ira A. Parness, MD
Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatrics
(516) 601-7200
Would definitely go to him for opinion
He was in Mount Sinai for years. Many top cardiologists trained under him. He just now switched to North Shore/ LIJ
Long Island
Extremely thorough, calming, frum
Highly recommend
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics