Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Buying in Israel vs shipping from US

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:54 am
Trying to help someone in Israel. Are small appliances cheaper to buy and ship from the US, or Israel? For example, a pizza maker. It would be about $50 plus $50-60 shipping from the US. Would it be cheaper to buy in Israel?

Thanks

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trying to help someone in Israel. Are small appliances cheaper to buy and ship from the US, or Israel? For example, a pizza maker. It would be about $50 plus $50-60 shipping from the US. Would it be cheaper to buy in Israel?

Thanks

Take into consideration plug.

essie14

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 10:57 am
1. Anything that will need a transformer is not worth it, IMO. Transformers are expensive and bulky.
2. You can look up prices to purchase items here
Www.zap.co.il
3. Anything shipped through the mail or FedEx is subject to import taxes if its above $75. If you're bringing it on a lift as an oleh chadash tax is waived.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:01 am
She has a transformer. That’s not an issue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:04 am
essie14 wrote:

Www.zap.co.il

Thanks! But I don’t know Hebrew so I don’t know how to navigate this site.

juggling

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:58 pm
If you're bringing a lift anyway, and if the appliances purchased are 220, then it generally makes sense to buy in America. Small appliances are generally cheaper in the US. Once you factor in shipping costs (if you weren't sending a container regardless), or the price/inconvenience of a transformer (if you're buying 110 v appliances) it becomes less straightforward. Personal preference might be the deciding factor, in such a case.

juggling

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She has a transformer. That’s not an issue.

A large transformer, for heavy-duty appliances? Be careful, using the wrong transformer, or forgetting the transformer, can fry an appliance in a second. It can also be a really big pain to have to plug everything in to a heavy transformer. But if that's her preference, it can be set up to be less of a pain.

Teomima

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:50 pm
essie14 wrote:
1. Anything that will need a transformer is not worth it, IMO. Transformers are expensive and bulky.
Www.zap.co.il
3. Anything shipped through the mail or FedEx is subject to import taxes if its above $75. If you're bringing it on a lift as an oleh chadash tax is waived.

I agree with all this.

And it doesn't matter if she has a transformer. They're heavy and bulky and no one wants to use them. There's really no reason to.

One this I will add is some people also order small appliances online from Europe, like Amazon Germany for example, where the voltage and plugs are more likely to match ours. However if there is a problem with the item, it's much easier to handle if it was purchased from an Israeli supplier.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:02 am
Only buy 220 small appliances. No one is lugging out a heavy transformer to make a pizza or a smoothie.

I use my transformer for a window a/c not for small things.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:24 am
I agree with the above that you're better off with 220 volt things. But a little tip- I have an outlet in the cabinet under my sink. So I plugged my transformer in there and leave it there all the time. I happened to be given a big mixer from the US, and that is always plugged in there, and I can swap it out for something else small pretty easily if I need. So I don't have to move the thing around ever, and that is my "US outlet". I do flip it off in the electrical box when not in use, as I think it gets hot being plugged in.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 4:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks

I just moved to israel, I found most small appliances cheaper or same price as usa.
I so far bought hand blender, braun food processor, bosch machine, hand mixer. Tea kettle and hot plate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions