Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Sustainable fashion vs fast fashion

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:53 am
I see this all over the place now that our planet is in trouble if we don't mend our ways and buy less and dispose of less. I can definitely relate to buying a bunch of cheap junk and it's not really appealing to wear anymore because it's out of style but too good to throw away so it is possible to have a stuffed closet and have nothing to wear. Fast fashion goes out of style fast and sustainable fashion is usually utilitarian to the point of never being really in style to begin with.
I think that despite the fact that sustainable fashion means wearing clothes nearly forever, it's the wave of the future.
Any thoughts?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 11:57 am
I work in the wig business and people’s attitudes in the last few years have changed from “how long can this last me” to “if I’m not happy I’ll replace it in a year or 2” if that’s what we’re like with high ticket items there’s not change for fashion. Our disposable mentality is here to stay

paperflowers

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:37 pm
I actually have a lot of thoughts on this topic. It’s pretty much impossible to totally stop supporting fast fashion, but there are steps I take to minimize my impact. I try not to shop at online fast fashion retailers like ASOS or Shein. I’ve also been trying to shop less on Amazon, but that’s harder because everything goes through Amazon. When I’ve looked into sustainable clothing brands, I’ve found they don’t meet my needs. Either they are too expensive, or just not selling what I’m looking for. For example, my idea of a basic t-shirt is very different than the short-sleeve v-necks they sell, and I do need Shabbos clothes, even if that doesn’t fit into their idea of a capsule wardrobe. My solution at this point is to buy less clothing, keep wearing my clothes even if they aren’t super trendy, and support small businesses or retail stores rather than massive, online only stores.

Southernbubby, what are your thoughts?

ETA: attempted thrifting, would love to do more of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics