Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/o - What non-Jewish high school did you go to?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 12:43 pm
For those of us who didn't attend Jewish schools. Wouldn't it be funny if we found some matches?

Me: Phillips Academy aka Andover

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:01 pm
Does a single summer count?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:06 pm
Adlai Stevenson HS, Lincolnshire Il. (Buffalo Grove, kind of).

Kiwi13

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:07 pm
Beachwood High School (Beachwood, OH)
Class of 2005

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:08 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Does a single summer count?

Sure, go for it! I don't think this thread will be as crowded as the other so we can afford to be inclusive Wink

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those of us who didn't attend Jewish schools. Wouldn't it be funny if we found some matches?

Is it as wonderful as marketing makes it look?? Did you board?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:13 pm
High School of Music and Art, which later merged with Performing Arts HS to form LaGuardia HS, aka the HS in "Fame".

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:15 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Is it as wonderful as marketing makes it look?? Did you board?

I loved it. It was both academically wonderful and an amazing experience. But it was overwhelming for some kids. A lot depends on the kid.

Yes, I boarded. But my family lived less than an hour away, so I was able to come home for weekends frequently.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So I actually used to know someone who went there. But I am pretty sure she was a day student. So looks like there are more than 2 frum women who went to Andover. I haven’t been in touch with her for years.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 1:36 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Beachwood High School (Beachwood, OH)
Class of 2005

BHS Grad here too! Class of 1998.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 2:32 pm
stuyvesant hs in nyc

scruffy

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 2:36 pm
nicole81 wrote:
stuyvesant hs in nyc

What was stuyvesant like? Is it as competitive and cutthroat as people make it sound?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 2:56 pm
North Miami Beach Senior HS

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:20 pm
Hunter College High School

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
North Miami Beach Senior HS

Me too!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:47 pm
Hutchesons' Grammar School, aka Hutchie. Glasgow, Scotland. I'd love to know if there's other Glaswegians here!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Adlai Stevenson HS, Lincolnshire Il. (Buffalo Grove, kind of).

Me too! Hi

nicole81

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:44 pm
scruffy wrote:
What was stuyvesant like? Is it as competitive and cutthroat as people make it sound?

I wasn't part of that element, but it's definitely there. Lot's of cheating, there was at least one male teacher who used to exchange grades for favors from female students, bribery, stealing of exams, etc... you were probably in the bottom 50% of the school if your GPA was lower than a 95; Ivies and other top tier schools had quotas on the number of students they would take from our school. Many people caved under the pressure and I felt there was a high level of drug use.

I never studied, skipped school a lot, was very involved in the performing arts there, and skated by with about a 90 average. I didn't feel pressured because I didn't want to be the top of the top, and I had a great time. It's a really large school, has amazing course offerings, and a really amazing student body. The level of conversation that I used have with my friends, or during class discussion, was of such high caliber that my college and graduate classmates couldn't hold a candle to them. Actually, one of the things I found frustrating when I became frum was the average education and intelligence level of the people I was meeting. I know that sounds terribly condescending; I'm just bringing it up to highlight the stark difference between the Stuyvesant community and probably everywhere else. I've since learned to appreciate all different types of intelligences and perspectives and I'm a very different person than I was then. But I do think we were a bit of an ego-inflated bunch Very Happy

scruffy

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 5:07 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I wasn't part of that element, but it's definitely there. Lot's of cheating, there was at least one male teacher who used to exchange grades for favors from female students, bribery, stealing of exams, etc... you were probably in the bottom 50% of the school if your GPA was lower than a 95; Ivies and other top tier schools had quotas on the number of students they would take from our school. Many people caved under the pressure and I felt there was a high level of drug use.

I never studied, skipped school a lot, was very involved in the performing arts there, and skated by with about a 90 average. I didn't feel pressured because I didn't want to be the top of the top, and I had a great time. It's a really large school, has amazing course offerings, and a really amazing student body. The level of conversation that I used have with my friends, or during class discussion, was of such high caliber that my college and graduate classmates couldn't hold a candle to them. Actually, one of the things I found frustrating when I became frum was the average education and intelligence level of the people I was meeting. I know that sounds terribly condescending; I'm just bringing it up to highlight the stark difference between the Stuyvesant community and probably everywhere else. I've since learned to appreciate all different types of intelligences and perspectives and I'm a very different person than I was then. But I do think we were a bit of an ego-inflated bunch Very Happy

Thanks for sharing your experience! I've always been curious about this.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 5:28 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I wasn't part of that element, but it's definitely there. Lot's of cheating, there was at least one male teacher who used to exchange grades for favors from female students,

Wow! How long ago was this? Is he still there? I know times have changed, and I've heard of such rumors in college, but in high school!?

Did he ever get busted and with what consequences? Was it common knowledge and everyone just looked the other way? Did he have a lot of takers?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics