Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Open heart surgery
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Ira A. Parness, MD
Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatrics
(516) 601-7200
Would definitely go to him for opinion
He was in Mount Sinai for years. Many top cardiologists trained under him. He just now switched to North Shore/ LIJ
Long Island
Extremely thorough, calming, frum
Highly recommend

Thanks. Appreciate it

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. We left a message for the organization today. When we went to the cardiologist, she said that if the baby was a few weeks old she would give it time to see if we're close. However the baby is 3 months old at this point so she thought we should do surgery. I am going to look into getting a second opinion though.
Is this common not to catch an ultrasound during pregnancy? Cardiologist made it sound like somebody definitely missed something. However, she was at the doctor one time before this and my midwife heard her heartbeat a bunch of times and never picked up the murmur. She told me she almost didn't pick it up she was only able to hear when the baby was really really quiet. If the baby would have been crying she would have never picked it up.

One of my kids was born with multiple vsds. Was not seen during pregnancy, the hospital missed it and the first pediatrician missed it. When we went back, the other pediatrician was shocked that nobody picked up on it because the murmur was so loud. Cardiologist also told us to wait until 3 months, at which point there was no change. He didn't want to rush for surgery either so he just kept an eye on it. By the time my child reached their first birthday, most of the vsds had closed and the remaining one(s?) was already too small to worry about Baruch Hashem.
Definitely go for a second opinion.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 3:31 pm
In regards to no one picking up on murmur till now- some doctors are better at picking up murmurs than others Smile 3 1/2 years old and many many many docs listening to my child’s heart and benign murmur (stills murmur) recently discovered. (Dc has a different minor cardiac issue recently diagnosed as a side effect of a different illness and only cardiologist #3 heard this murmur).

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
In regards to no one picking up on murmur till now- some doctors are better at picking up murmurs than others Smile 3 1/2 years old and many many many docs listening to my child’s heart and benign murmur (stills murmur) recently discovered. (Dc has a different minor cardiac issue recently diagnosed as a side effect of a different illness and only cardiologist #3 heard this murmur).
My child with a repaired heart has a residual asd with a murmur if you know you’re looking for one but we haven’t seen a single doctor that picked up on it unless they were informed about it before listening to him, and he’s been listened to by a LOT of medical professionals.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So far, I have to get in touch with my pediatrician so I can get a copy of the report. I'm going to send it to the person at the organization. She said the options are basically columbia, or mount sinai.
But she said we definitely should get a second opinion since she's not convinced we should Rush right into surgery.
This seems like a sound plan. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 10 2021, 4:24 pm
Thanks everyone. feeling calmer for now.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:10 am
To reiterate what many others said. They sometimes can just patch the hole laparoscopically. Other times it closes on its own. My DS asd/vsd did need open heart surgery but the experience was really ok. We waited till he was 5; Columbia was amazing. They made me feel so much better- we had the simplest diagnosis possible in the cardiac ICU. Bh it's mostly just a memory, other than his scar and checkups.

naomi2

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:38 am
We used Dr bascha as well. At that point we were told he was one of the best in the field

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:11 pm
Is this organization a one person show? She was super sweet but very hard to get in contact with.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this organization a one person show? She was super sweet but very hard to get in contact with.

Yes, but she is amazing and will help you every step of the way.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She must have a secretary or maybe a family member because it’s not always her that answers the phones but she pretty much runs the whole show.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:55 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
She must have a secretary or maybe a family member because it’s not always her that answers the phones but she pretty much runs the whole show.

Ok thanks. I guess I will wait for a callback.

Just One

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 3:57 pm
Text works best with her. If you don't hear back in a while just call or text again. She's busy but will be glad to help

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:03 pm
Ok

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:13 pm
I don't want to derail this thread but I see so many mamas on here who've dealt with these issues so I'll ask and hope any of you can advise me.

My daughter had nearly collapsed bilateral lungs when she was born, spent 2 weeks in the NICU til they got stronger. At some point, they suspected a heart defect so the cardiologist ran an Echo and sonogram, which showed a PFO. Dr said it was minor and that there wasn't anything that needed to be done.

However, she still looks like she has to work hard to breathe. I know this because she has an indent on her neck which goes in very deeply when she breathes. She's 5 months old. She has had this since she was born. Her regular pediatrician said there's nothing to worry about. But I am worried, especially since it seems to me like she's also sweating very excessively when she eats. Like she's working too hard.

Do you think I should see another cardiologist at least to calm me down? Do you think I have anything to worry about?

Hope I'm not hijacking this post because that was not my point!! I'm just at a loss. Any advice would really really be appreciated!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:22 pm
One of the questions that the cardiologist always asked about my cardiac baby was if she was sweating excessively. That may be a concern. It may be worthwhile to go to the cardiologist. Hopefully just to calm you.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
One of the questions that the cardiologist always asked about my cardiac baby was if she was sweating excessively. That may be a concern. It may be worthwhile to go to the cardiologist. Hopefully just to calm you.

Wow... anyone really fantastic you’d recommend? Or should I also call this organization?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 4:31 pm
We are very happy with Dr. Stephanie Levasseur in Columbia.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:21 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
We are very happy with Dr. Stephanie Levasseur in Columbia.

Thanks. Can I call this organization as well or do I have to come with a clear diagnosis?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Thanks. Can I call this organization as well or do I have to come with a clear diagnosis?

Idk I called after I went to a cardiologist. Shw seemed to know alot. I would try.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics