Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Potty training boys!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 12:39 am
Can you please share tips and things to do to help my 3 1/2 and almost 2 yr old boys learn to use the toilet/potty? I'd like it to be an exciting, positive activity and experience. They are both talking about it and they sometimes wear underwear on top of their diapers but not sure where/how to start.
I heard some ppl let their child go without a diaper for a few days but not thrilled at that idea🙈.
BTW-they are not in day care/school yet.
Thanks!!

rowo

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 1:06 am
I started with letting them run around with a diaper for a bit before their bath, and maybe ask if they need to pish while we were anyway in the bathroom.
Keeping it pressure free.
So they get a feel for what is going on.

Once you decide to do it. Give yourself a few days to stay home, pants off so it’s easy for them. Get lots of underwear to change when/if they get wet. And try not to stress Smile

Some people like to take their kids to the toilet/potty every hour or so. I would ask, but wait till they felt they needed too and not force them to sit every hour so they got used to understanding the signals and sensations in their own bodies.

Celebrate every success!
Some kids need treats/prizes and some feel great being cheered on and encouraged with silly songs and dances.

I found boys easier than girls,
if you have a garden and are ok with it, they love pishing in the bushes 🙈

Good luck!

Rappel

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:30 am
Chocolate chip every time they go in the toilet.

for a few days, every half hour ask them if they need to go pee or poop, and remind them about the chocolate chip. Set yourself alarms so they don't forget. They'll "go" falsely a bunch of times in the beginning, but each one costs you one chocolate chip, so no biggie. The important thing is that they're trying for the toilet.

They miss? No blame, no shame, just clean it up. "That's okay, next time you'll make it to the toilet." You can get them in on the clean up if you make it a game for you to do together.

Don't go on any long trips for the first two weeks.

Lots of compliments and high fives.

Teach them good hygiene - after the bathroom, wash hands etc.

It may take a few weeks or months for them to forget the chocolate chips, but at some point, they will, and that's when you can stop stocking your freezer with them.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:49 am
Oh cr@p Potty training book

bwaybabe85

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 6:05 am
We are potty training my 3 year old this week. He loves the potty watch. Every time the watch alarm goes off (with lights and music) it’s time to go to the bathroom.

silverlining3

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:17 am
I recently potty trained my almost 3 year old.

It was a very hard first week. He knew exactly what he needed to do, keptback like crazy, and was afraid to let go. A better 2nd week, learnt to let go. And an amazing 3rd and I'm onto my 4th week bh. He's on the regular toilet already, #1&2. Potty is put away.

I really think it was my very very calm attitude that led to a quicker success.

So my tips are
-I used training panties without pants and liked it, less pee on the floor. Some say that the child still feels secured since it's thicker than regular panty so it's harder. It worked for me but doesn't work for everyone.
-Be very calm, don't ask too often if they need to pee.
-Don't restrict yourself from going out because you're training. Put on a pamper for them and enjoy your outing.
-Reward and cheer on whenever they do make.
-as a side tip. When I saw that my son has such a hard time letting go, I purposely didn't ask him, I wanted him to wet himself and feel it.

I'm grateful I'm over the hump and I'm wishing you loads of luck.

ETA-typo error

Last edited by silverlining3 on Tue, May 11 2021, 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 7:41 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Oh cr@p Potty training book

We used this too. You don't have to follow 100% (we gave treats for example), but the overall approach is pretty good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics